Rear Q128H planetary gears?

No, and I also hate changing them. But when you have any wire damage, because your motor for some reason hit something , they having wires damaged in this area causes lot of pain.

I have few motor with damage in this area (and that's the most prone to damage area), and I spent hour to fix without success.... i have to try again

I’ve yet to bugger axle wires since I’m very careful about that vulnerability.

if I weren't careful I'd install and use something like this:

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/motor-parts/u-bracket.html

Ykick said:
I’ve yet to bugger axle wires since I’m very careful about that vulnerability.

if I weren't careful I'd install and use something like this:

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/motor-parts/u-bracket.html
Man, all the time I spend on bikes.ca and I missed that. Anyone else fabricating this? Kinda spend unless tied to an order and it's not peak season in MN, no orders pending.

Thanks! Great piece of kit!

The good folks at Aikema motors have agreed to supply me with replacement gear sets but I cannot figure out how to pay them?

Trouble is, no PayPal. They gave me a single account name and the branch name of their bank with 19 digit account number.

I’ve tried MoneyGram, no go - needs first & last name and everything I tried returns error. Plus, MG doesn’t seem to list the specific bank branch I need to send this payment.

Tried Western Union but it will only allow me to send cash to location and not deposit into a bank account.

I even walked into Bank of China, 48th & Madison Ave, and they seemed able to make sense of the invoice with bank payment information and would transfer $50USD for $20 fee but then they wanted ID and copy of my SS (social security) card which I haven’t carried on me in decades. Currently on the other side of the country anyway.

My Bank (BofA) will do it but charge $35-$45 and they were a little apprehensive about using my bank account to send the money - I’d rather use cash or CC and not share my personal bank account information abroad.

I’m stumped? Is it practically impossible to send a professional company/corporation a small amount money to satisfy a purchase invoice?

Can anybody help and/or suggest something or is it time to give up on Q motors and stick with Bafang?

Ykick said:
The good folks at Aikema motors have agreed to supply me with replacement gear sets but I cannot figure out how to pay them?

It's actually taken me around a month to get money to Aikema the 3 times I've paid them. I've also had to eat wire transfer fees each time. The cheapest but slowest is Western Union bank transfer. I don't mind adding a few sets of gears next time I place an order, but I don't think it will get here quickly due to the holiday season/Chinese New Year.

Jasonv8z said:
Ykick said:

It's actually taken me around a month to get money to Aikema the 3 times I've paid them. I've also had to eat wire transfer fees each time. The cheapest but slowest is Western Union bank transfer. I don't mind adding a few sets of gears next time I place an order, but I don't think it will get here quickly due to the holiday season/Chinese New Year.

Jason - that’s very kind of you to offer and I thought about PM’ing you and probably will if nothing pans out this week? Gonna try Bank of China branch again but if that fails I may take you up on your offer? No real rush for the parts.

Hell, I might grab an H motor or two while at it? I’ve been following your thread…

Ykick said:
btw, anybody following this drama - Aikema factory offered to sell me replacement gear sets. Not exactly cheap shipping and I’ll need to figure out a bank wire transfer for payment but it’s better than junking the motor I suppose?

Did you ever succeed in purchasing these gears from the factory? Or anywhere?

Update: never mind, I found a better picture and I see the straight cut planets engage directly to the ring gear. (It didn't look possible in the pics above.)

Ykick said:
image3.JPG
image2-1.JPG
image1-2.JPG

An old thread, but these are the best pics of the q128 internals I've found anywhere. I wonder if you could explain something to me about the gears.

There is a steel helical sun gear attached to the rotor; which engages with the plastic helical planet gears which have coaxial straight-cut planets attached. And on the (for want of a term) clutch carrier, there is a straight cut ring gear.

But in none of your photos, nor this 3D exploded view nowhere can I see anything that meshes with the straight cut planets, or the straight cut ring gear?

What am I missing?

Somk searching with th3 right terms wii yield clues. I found them before i flipped my wheel but m6 link is a dead end.

Accurate measurements and aliexpress, i think that was what i did. My little gear motor is now a MXUS, only because i could ge5 clutch and gears. Not as tough as Aikema for over volting !bu5 stll decent.

tomjasz said:
Somk searching with th3 right terms wii yield clues. I found them before i flipped my wheel but m6 link is a dead end.

Care to explain? Search where? and "m6 link"?

I can’t find my link. “M6” (ipad keyboard on latest ipad update shares letter keys with numbers. A slight upstroke pastes a number)

i searched for gears on aliexpress and confirmed fit by using my caliper, BMS had some too at one time.

Search Google, its how i found mine. Again confirm by measuring.

tomjasz said:
I can’t find my link. “M6” (ipad keyboard on latest ipad update shares letter keys with numbers. A slight upstroke pastes a number)

Ah, good to know. I thought you'd been drunk posting for the last couple days.

Do you know if the motor was hot when it failed? The mechanical strength of the plastic gear material drops with temperature.

I'm trying to think if there is a way this kind of failure could be prevented.

Chalo said:
tomjasz said:

Left of center, maybe even short a marble, but never drunk...

tomjasz said:
Chalo said:
tomjasz said:

Left of center, maybe even short a marble, but never drunk...

I wish I could claim the same!

fechter said:
Do you know if the motor was hot when it failed? The mechanical strength of the plastic gear material drops with temperature.

I'm trying to think if there is a way this kind of failure could be prevented.
Also note, the differing gear ratios suggests that the lower ratios gears in the 201 and 260 hubs will be slightly weaker than the 328 gearset, especially the secondary planets.

I have a new Q100h which i laced to a 20" rim, then immediately popped the cover to confirm a 328. I plan to run a few bench tests unmolested, then open it again and peform a few modifications, then rerun the tests again.

Buk___ said:
Update: never mind, I found a better picture and I see the straight cut planets engage directly to the ring gear. (It didn't look possible in the pics above.)

Ykick said:
image3.JPG
image2-1.JPG
image1-2.JPG

An old thread, but these are the best pics of the q128 internals I've found anywhere. I wonder if you could explain something to me about the gears.

There is a steel helical sun gear attached to the rotor; which engages with the plastic helical planet gears which have coaxial straight-cut planets attached. And on the (for want of a term) clutch carrier, there is a straight cut ring gear.

But in none of your photos, nor this 3D exploded view nowhere can I see anything that meshes with the straight cut planets, or the straight cut ring gear?

What am I missing?
The ring gear is intergral to the main hub housing so when the ring gear turns, so does the main housing to which the spokes are attached.

Hi I've melted one of these gear motors. Is there any point trying to fix it. Or should i buy a new one. How much are they worth?

Back