wiring crystalyte throttle question

alswiseowl

100 W
hi people,
ok I'm doing up my a2b metro, with a hs3540 motor with a crystalyte 72v 60amp controller.

when I've wired everything up,ive noticed the throttle wiring from the throttle end only has 3pins.
& the throttle connection on the controller end has 4pins, I know the fourth pin is for led throttles, which I'm not using.

whats got me thinking is that the colors don't match heres a pic

currently from the throttle its red, black,white,
the red is hooking up to the green controller throttle pin
the black is hooking up to the red controller throttle pin
the white is hooking up to the black controller throttle pin.
does this sound alright
I can't seem to figure out how to post pics from my Mac

now I'm about to try hooking up the battery soon as its finished charging.is it safe for me to try twisting throttle with the battery hooked up
any advice would be greatly appreciated
I'm running a 78vnom 18ah Samsung pack.
thanks peoples
Alex

Attachments

• DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,119
when I've wired everything up,ive noticed the throttle wiring from the throttle end only has 3pins.
& the throttle connection on the controller end has 4pins, I know the fourth pin is for led throttles, which I'm not using.
The three pins go as this:
The red throttle wire is the 5V+ wire. Connect that to the 5V+ throttle wire from your controller.
The Black wire is the 5V- wire. Connect that to the 5V- throttle wire from your controller.
The white wire is the return wire that gives your controller the reference voltage which tells your controller how fast you want to go. Connect that to the return voltage wire on your controller.

Edit: Usually the three throttle wires have one connector from the controller. Look at the instructions to isolate the proper connector.

On the return voltage: 0 volts means stop...5 volts means wide-open-throttle. Your actual voltage might be a bit different like .8v at full stop and 4.8v at WOT.

From what you are describing, it sounds like you might not have it wired just right. The colors don't seem right.

is it safe for me to try twisting throttle .....

Lets make sure it is wired right before twisting the throttle

Also, the picture can't be that big. 640x480 is the size to use. Go to the bottom of the ES page. Hit attachments, add files and upload your 640x480 jpg.

:D

thanks for you input mate, this is the second kit I've bought this month and I can't get a single one up and running.
really disappointed that the second kit that I specifically requested to be plug n play isn't :roll:

It is probably just getting the wiring right. Pictures are a big help. Do your best to get us some clear pictures so we can see what you are dealing with.

alswiseowl said:
I still can't work out how to make the pic, jpeg smaller so that this forum accepts it

If you have Windows Paint:

Load the image; (either via menu or 'mspaint yourpic.jpg').

Type ctrl-a, ctrl-w, 50, tab, 50, enter, ctrl-n, n(for don't save), ctrl-v, ctrl-s, type a new name and save.

think I got it
thanks for your help guys

what I've done now is match the red with the red, black with black,white to green, left the yellow un paired
I've applied power to the controller by shorting out the key switch connecter, but still when I twist the throttle nothing, no movement

Attachments

• DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 2,117
pics of the controller powered up

Attachments

• IMG_20171223_165619.jpg
    IMG_20171223_165619.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,191
so I'm thinking,
redo the wiring where the throttle didn't match(back to original how I got it)

or the phase wiring is wrong???

need help please

heres a pic of the a2b that I'm working on

Attachments

• IMG_20171223_173333.jpg
    IMG_20171223_173333.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,189
You got the throttle wiring right now.

Now you need to do the trying the combos to find the motor wiring, if the motor does not come as a kit with the controller.

I like to match up colors on the phases, then try all halls combos first. Then try swapping blue and green, and try the halls combos again.

Look hard at those motor connections, one loose halls and plug and play connections wont run.

And uhh,,, battery? That's the first thing to check on.

what I've done now is match the red with the red, black with black,white to green, left the yellow un paired

The Dogman usually knows more then I do, but on all my controllers the green wire usually is for the led lights on the throttle.
I would go with black to black, red to red, white to yellow and see how that works. Even a mismatched motor phase wire setup will make the motor do something if the throttle is working properly.

Your picture seems to how the wires mismatched.
ThrottleWireMismatch.jpg
I am seeing Red:Throttle to Green:Controller - Black:Throttle to Red:Controller - White:Throttle to Black:Controller.

Are your throttle wires still in the order of your picture?

Edit: As usual Dogman is smarter then me. :oops: :lol:

Your throttle should be Black to Black, Red to Red and White to Green. However your picture shows differently.

hi e beach
your right that is a pic of the wiring of how I received the kit
& it didn't look rights I contacted the kit supplier & they also said it didn't look right

I wasn't confident with testing the throttle as I haven't found a good video on utube on how to do it
so with the supplier advice I re joined the colors together & nothing
its like the throttle isn't responding..

here is a pic of how I've sorted the wiring

Attachments

• IMG_20171224_090606_1.jpg
    IMG_20171224_090606_1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,159
also when I first noticed that the throttle wiring wasn't matching up with the colors of the controller/throttle side.
I had to remove the 3pins from the connecter so that I could swap the wires around so that the colors matched up.

in doing so I accidentally snapped two of the end pins.in the pic you will see where I have snapped the two ends as the metal shoots out straight, where on the third wire that I hadn't damaged the metal contact bends back towards itself like a triangle shape..I presume thats how the pins clicks in securely to the black connecter plastic piece..

since the two pins don't turn back in towards itself like a triangle shape could this be the reason why the throttle isn't picking up its response..heres the pic
thanks a million for your input,

Attachments

• IMG_20171224_114700.jpg
    IMG_20171224_114700.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,155
There has to be contact between the male and female sides of the connectors. (In your case they look to be JST-sm 4 pin)

If you are unsure of the connect between them, plug everything in, turn the battery on, put your multi meter probes into the the throttle side of the black and red wires and see if you are get a reading of about 5v dc.

If that checks out, move the positive probe (the red wire probe) to the white wire on the throttle and check the voltage. It should be about .8v dc. Then apply the throttle to see if the voltage goes up to something close to what the voltage of the red and black are reading.

Like this: https://www.ebikes.ca/documents/ThrottleTesting.pdf

ok I've plugged it upland,& when I tested the throttle throttle side I got no reading, double checked & still no reading
would that mean that the power aint going to the throttle

Ok, now I see four wires from the controller. I got the idea there was three and three. I did not see the 4th wire in the first pic.

if that 4th wire to the controller got attached to the 3 wire throttle, the full pack voltage just fried your throttle. And, it could also have killed the controller. 48v+ fed into the 5v section of the controller would be bad.

Does the controller still put out 5v+ on the red halls wire? or the red throttle wire? Sounds like not. Controller got burnt.

4th wire from controller for voltage meter could be any color. I'm used to seeing that one as blue or purple. But maybe clyte does different colors.

I Havnt tested any color patterns to the fourth wire yet..so I don't think I've had the chance to burn the controller
least I hope not.

I ve only tested my kit, when I re-colour matched the ,green, black & red around, the fourth wire, yellow.i haven't paired no wire to yet..make sense I hope

so yeh the only test I've done is when I connected,blk to bulk,red to red, white to green

I originally received the kit like this pic

now any good links on how to test controller for dummies :?

thanks es,
even though I wasn't to happy my kit wasn't plug n play, like id requested.
I have the privilege to learn something new, hopefully I don't blow nothing In the mean time

also what you guys think bout the snapped pin I know I did damage when I was trying to reshape the metal pin so that it could click back into place once id had re-coloure matched the throttle pins/connecter

Attachments

• DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,125
heres the pic of my damaged pin connecter again.
I'm thinking contact isn't good as I didn't receive a voltage signal when I tested it with the volts metro

Attachments

• IMG_20171224_114700.jpg
    IMG_20171224_114700.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,125
would anyone know if I have damaged the controller
what part of the controller could get damaged from the single colour combintaion test I've done..

reading up on controllers, theres mosfets,caps,etc heaps of parts to it..

from what I gather bout controllers, theres numerous tests that can be performed, test mosfets,test caps
thanks e.s

+1 on the simple voltage check.

Before you start moving on to the controller lets settle the throttle question first. One thing at a time.

Unplug your throttle, make sure your battery is charged and properly plugged into your controller. Then test for 5v from the controller by connecting your meter to the red and black throttle wires from the controller.

If you have 5v then we can test your throttle.

Let us know if you have 5v on the controller side. If you do then we can talk about options for connecting them if your pins are damaged beyond repair.

Also for future reference on JST-SM connectors check out this.
[youtube]WKijEhBPIMc[/youtube]

thanks for the video ebeach..

ok when I test the throttle from the controller side with batt hooked up,i don't seem to get a reading 0.0v

Probably not good indeed.......As Dogman stated, the 5v throttle section on your controller could have gotten your full pack voltage and went "Poof!" The only way to know that for sure is opening your controller and inspecting and testing the section where your throttle connects to your controller.

How advanced is your electronics knowledge? Can you trace circuitry? Can you solder chip capacitors as small as 1mm? It's hard to do for sure.

Also, was the 72v pack you are using the original voltage or did you get an upgraded higher voltage pack?

Final question for the moment....We should test the throttle independently of the controller. What you will need for that is a 5v (more or less) power source. It could be a power supply or depleted 9v battery or three 1.5v batteries end to end or a fully charged 18650 cell. Any kind of lowish amp power source that will give you around 4 to 5v. Over 5v might burn the hall sensor in your throttle provided it is not already burnt.

You will also need three jumper wires (with clips on the ends if you have them.) One each to connect to the red and black wires on the throttle to the + and - on your test battery so we can feed the throttle 5v. The third wire is to connect your multi meter to the black wire on your throttle as the ground to test the white return wire for voltage.

Once you apply 4 to 5 volts to the throttle wires and then put the negative lead of your meter to the black throttle wire and the put the positive lead of your meter to the white wire on your throttle you should be able to get about .8v to about 5v on your throttle as you twist it.

This test will tell you about the condition of your throttle in case it is in need of replacement.

hi people
e beach my electric ability sucks,
my battery pack is a 78v 18ah Samsung pack

hopefully I can get hyena industries help me out with the wiring once the Christmas period is out of the way..

I would b really disappointed if the controller & or throttle is busted.

anyways live and learn

Back