Loose triangle battery bag solved

My hope is that this post will help someone who is experiencing the same loose triangle battery bag issue I was. After taking my ebike to work for the first time, I found I was constantly reaching down and pushing the battery back into the center of the bike frame, as the battery had a tendency to slide out, and the bag wasn't tight enough to prevent this movement. When I got home, I played around with the setup, holding the bag tight in certain places and testing the movement of the battery. I found that if I held the bottom of the bag tight against the frame, the battery would be secured and would not be able to slide left or right.

It seemed that if I could somehow lace the bottom of the bag to the frame, like a shoe, it would do the trick. I went to Home Depot and purchased a brass grommet kit: http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-1-2-in-Solid-Brass-Grommet-Kit-71264/100200416

I installed 4 grommets to each side of the bag as shown:
4zmDRx9.jpg

After the grommets had been installed, I mounted the battery bag to the bike.I highly recommend mounting your bag without the battery inside as you can more easily tighten the velcro straps to the frame.

I then loosely laced the grommets with some parachord (thin rope) I had laying around, and inserted the battery into the bag. Then it was just a matter of tightening the laces through the grommets.
xnTCZDh.jpg

The result is that the battery is now MUCH more secure, and is held firmly in place. This also narrowed the width of the bag as it's pulled tight, leaving more room for my knees as I pedal.
yvABDyd.jpg

I hope someone finds this technique as helpful as I did!

Thanks for this post im currently running into the same problem however my bike frame has the rear cable for break/derailer running along the bottom tube. my battery is two 6s 16ah lipo bricks i do not want the battery resting on the bottom of the bag. Im sure i will think of something but im quite stumped at the moment

Now that's some ingenuity right there.

I've seen someone fill the gap in their bag with a half inflated intertube, not as elegant, but kinda shows where these ebike companies can go if they want to improve their products for the masses.

By y the way, what' your bike?

Sidotian said:
Thanks for this post im currently running into the same problem however my bike frame has the rear cable for break/derailer running along the bottom tube. my battery is two 6s 16ah lipo bricks i do not want the battery resting on the bottom of the bag. Im sure i will think of something but im quite stumped at the moment

I also use those batteries and a luna zip tie frame bag. What I did was mount a piece of wood 1x2 furring strip about 8 inches long to the top of the downtube using the water bottle screws ( recess them). Then I put some 1/2" foam from an ensolite sleeping pad inside the bag to cushion. This block has the additional benefit of relieving the stress on the zipper.

Careful with the zipper, those low priced, cardboard stiffened bags fail. My battery damn near fell out.

Jon NCal said:
Sidotian said:

I also use those batteries and a luna zip tie frame bag. What I did was mount a piece of wood 1x2 furring strip about 8 inches long to the top of the downtube using the water bottle screws ( recess them). Then I put some 1/2" foam from an ensolite sleeping pad inside the bag to cushion. This block has the additional benefit of relieving the stress on the zipper.
I did exactly the same thing.
I secure my LiPoly bricks w/ double-sided "sticky" tape.
For these bags to last, it's important not to have the weight hanging from the top straps, otherwise the bag/strap seams will fail.

Back