BBS02 pedal resistance

monkey11

1 µW
Hi,

After leaving my bike unused for a couple of months, I now notice that my pedals have a lot of resistance. It's uneven (about 4-6 resistance peaks per rotation of the pedal). This happens with the motor on or off. I've removed the chain from the front chainring so it's definitely the BBS02.

Any ideas what this can be? I've ridden about 15000km on this motor over 3 years and it's been solid until now.

Probably one of two things.

The easiest fix is just to regrease the inner motor gears. With that much distance & time put into it, it's due for a servicing. The type of grease can be found in the main BBS thread. You'll have to browse through it to find it.

The harder fix is that clutch has either degraded or rusted. That requires some key tools and a new clutch. There are takedown videos of the BBS where you can deduce how to do this if this is the case, also located in that forementioned thread.

My instincts point to the first, only because in my case the clutch slowly degraded over time with more and more useage.

Edit: before doing this, make sure it isn't something as simple as your drivetrain & brakes aren't causing friction issues.

Thanks melodious and augidog.

There's no resistance when backpedaling, so I guess it's not the clutch. I've removed the motor completely and ordered some mobilgrease 28 from amazon, I'll re-grease the thing when it gets here.

Back