Ultrasonic tab welding

Haven't decided.
Trying to learn what it can do. No help from manufacturer at all.
If I can learn the limitations of 800 watt it will be helpful.
I don't believe I'm able to use all the power.
Needs more pressure maybe? I'm over 500psi now.
All I can do is weld two .35mm tabs together.

https://youtu.be/4ECL24WzP1w

Update after a few changes to increase pressure.

https://youtu.be/Onxfpvg8_6I

Now able to weld 4 layers at once for making 2p modules.
Was finished when thought of video. 2 layers shown.
Some sticking to horn, but I can live with it until someone shares the solution.
It may need to release pressure while still welding. That may be bad for welder. I have no idea.🤔

A little more information for anyone following.
I loaded the spring pressure so as gearmotor near stalls on cam lobe.
Makes it about a 2second cycle.
Welder foot switch starts the cycle. Welder output can be delayed. I have .5sec delay, then 1.25sec weld time.

I need a way to monitor on time for better adjustment. If nothing else, an inline ammeter on input may suffice. May be something built in, but the rep doesn't even know about the weld delay and auxiliary output to control press.

On a good weld display shows .46a after a weld. No idea if I'm using near capacity. Again there is zero support. 😣

Surprise surprise,
My welder guy answered a question!

2amps is maximum welder power.
That means I can do a lot more, if only I knew how.
It must be all about down pressure.

I tried to use fuse-wire with a spot welder (Kweld) and tinned copper wire, but the process is unreliable. It's OK for single or few connections, but not reliable enough for building a battery pack.

I'm now looking for a DIY ultrasonic fuse wire system. I got a hand on a used fuse-wire 60kHz ultrasonic transducer head for a few bucks on ebay and I'm now looking for a power supply/oscillator for operating this device:
IMG_20190811_121353.jpg

The ultrasonic head consist of a machined stainless steel head with a tool mount at the tip, an attachment point at the node and an piezoelectric transducer at the other end which require a 60kHz excitation signal to function.

Does anyone here has any experience with ultrasonic transducer oscillator circuit/power supply?

My goal is to replace nickel strip spotwelding with aluminium fuse wire like tesla/alta is doing on their battery packs. I would intall the transducer on my CNC router for connecting the cells in my battery modules.

ENNOID said:
Does anyone here has any experience with ultrasonic transducer oscillator circuit/power supply?
No, but the first images in this
https://www.google.com/search?q=ultrasonic+transducer+oscillator+circuit%2Fpower+supply
appear to deal with what you're after, as circuit diagrams, one of which is a hackaday.io about an ebay unit to do this.

You need to have a ballpark idea for the power rating of the ultrasound transducer. The driver has to be below the rating or it will self-destruct. They also have a resonant frequency and the driver has to match that exactly. "Smart" driver circuits can auto tune.

its watts, just like leds, they dont care about voltage or current, just the total power. its still a speaker.

If you want a single cell fuse, you can actually put the fuse on a pcb and wire the battery to that pcb. Image Atla's pcb, but, on every cell, there would be an smd fuse in series in the connection from the cell to bus bar.

Yeah, I thought about it as well. Sure, it would work with SMD fuse & spotwelding nickel strips, but... spotwelding is not a reliable enough process IMO and is hard to automate.

Fuse wiring can be automated and act as a fuse, so final cost is reduced & reliability is higher.

I should be able to get my ultrasonic transducer working on the CNC before the end of the year... maybe... I took over the work done by this guy Peter Walsch referenced earlier by Amberwolf:

https://hackaday.io/project/4689-improve-the-haber-process

It should work, a lot of big companies with big budget are doing it this way. I'm just not ready to pay 100k$ for it. I remember, 3Dprinting was in this price range 10 years ago, now you can do it for 300$...

spotwelding is extremely reliable and effective. that is why you see it -everywere-.

the only reason you see this "diy" surge of also wanting to do fuse wire is because of tesla, but the reason they do it is because they have to do 8500 cells as fast as possible and reduce weight as much a possible. and they have litteral million-dollar-robots with heads on it that costs almost half a million a piece to do the wire welding and they (a full enginerding team) spent litteral months dialing in those robots.
whatever we simple peasants think of to emulate their equipment it will never be on the same level as them. but with spot welding and a simple kweld you can make welds as good as dewalt puts in their battery packs.

that said i really hope i can switch to ultrasonic welding sooner rather then later. but the tech is simply way to much out there and way to expensive for even most battery builders.
as long as you cant get a machine like a kweld that delivers the same reliablitty and performace one should only use diy ultrasonics for testing and messing about, not for actual road use.

I do have a kweld. Good enough I agree for small diy pack...but, i'm just trying/experimenting something with ultrasonic head. I think there are many advantage to ultrasonic over spotwelding when building large battery packs.

we simple peasants think of to emulate their equipment it will never be on the same level as them. but with spot welding and a simple kweld you can make welds as good as dewalt puts in their battery packs.

As I said, 3Dprinter were 100k 10 years ago, very hard to use & now you can buy one for 300$ and print sucessfully on the first attempt. A fusewire machine is basically a 3dprinter/cncrouter with an ultrasonic head. I don't see why it would not be a good idea to give it a try.

Back