Suggestions for 100A, 15 to 20AH pack

IBScootn

100 W
What would you suggest for a small but safe battery pack that comfortably delivers 100A and has a capacity of 15 to 20AH. Since it will have to be charged at work, outside near building, it needs to be fairly safe. Both DIY and purchased packs are being considered.

TIA

Forgot to mention pack voltage: 87.6V currently but anything +/- 5% should do as charger is completely adjustable

Thanks

The EIG NMC cells in the for sale section (sorry I forget whose thread it is) would do that; they're 5C continuous cells (10C for 10sec), so a 20Ah pack could do 100A continuous. I don't know the history on what's in that thread, but I'd bet at least most of the cells are good (you'd have to talk to the seller).

I use these on my bike and trike; all of what I got was used already, and still works fine (have had one cell of all the ones I've used degrade significantly, and one in my lighting pack died from overdischarge so far I reversed it--but the other three that were in series with it still work--and they'd already been abused to just about zero once before and recovered).

The ones in teh for sale section are nice and modular, bolt together packs, I think what he's got are 2P packs (40Ah) but you could make different busbars that make them 1p (20Ah) packs, at whatever series number gives you the voltage you need.

They're 4.15v max cells (I use 4.1v max on the lighting pack, and 4v max for the trike's traction pack for typical charge, and 4.14v for "full" charge). I'm using 14s, and a 2p pack weighs around 35-ish lbs. So a 1p 21s pack (87.1v full @ 4.15v/cell) would be about 26-27lbs bare.

You could go 22s and only charge to 4v/cell to lengthen their lifespan, for an 88v full pack.

Yeah, 100 amps and safe, in that size, pretty hard to get with anything much else.

I've been using 24s 10ah 10C and 20C rc lipo packs for years without any problems. A 15ah 20C pack would be rated for 300A, 450A burst.and certainly wouldn't have a problem at only 100A.

Amberwolf, great suggestion! I like the cell stacking and ease of bussing.

Now what BMS would someone suggest for 21 or 22 cell pack? Prefer a centralized BMS where if a balance lead breaks, a fault is generated.

Eig cells are great but had a hard time finding out the cycle life on the cells in the used section ? He didn't know a way of shipping.

Powervelocity. Com has big high power batteries. You would need to email to find out.
Found a link https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89020#p1298017

zip,
Thanks for the suggestion.

Wesnewell,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don’t feel comfortable recommending standard hobby king RC packs for the final user of this system. I’ve heard too many stories of a cell in the middle of one of those pack failing and puffing. He doesn’t have the skills or tools to fully and continually verify each cell in each pack. The pack will need a BMS with sufficient balancing so the whole pack can be bank charged.

Si yes I understand but I don't run lipo I don't run 18650 yet except from a free Pedego 48 volt slim fish pack. I find the highest energy output Samsung 25r address the issue from there

Back