MXUS copper wire coating damaged

shorza

10 kW
I opened my MXUS v3 and noticed a small scrape on the varnish of the copper wire. I tested the continuity with my multimeter and it shows a short to my phase wires.

I'm not sure how it happened, it doesn't seem raised enough to be touching the side plate.

Is this a major problem or will this cause an issue?

20180102_220927-768x1024.jpg 20180102_222210-600x1067.jpg

Edit: changed the wording.

It appears, from photos, that you refer to a scrape or bare spot on the wire, not a damaged lamination. Laminations are thin steel plates stacked together to make the core. Coils of wire are wound or inserted onto or into slots in the laminated core. The coil wire is copper with a coating or film of insulating varnish or resin. A small bare spot like that on a single wire that does not come in contact with anything else is inconsequential although to be on the safe side, I'd recommend to repair by applying a drop or two of high temperature epoxy or 'super' glue.

major

Yes, epoxy will fix that, but you should not have any continuity between the phase wires and the laminations. You may have another problem somewhere.

Thanks guys. I've edited the original post to amend the incorrect term.

The laminations are not damaged, it's the coating on the copper wire that is damaged. I'll put a small dab of super glue over it like major suggested.

just make sure its rated for higher temperatures - super glue can start to break down at ~80C - your wires may get much hotter than that.

Back