My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Happy new year! :)

icehunter said:
I would like to wish you all a happy new year. It is a pleasure being able to bounce ideas with such a talented lot.

Hello! Got the battery today and put it on the bike. My question is: on display there are only 5 level of assistance both in ECO and Sport. In software there are 9 level of assistance. How can I activate to see all 9 level of assistance on display? Did I understand something wrong?

Hi Everyone, I've been following this thread since the beginning and have really appreciated the advice and input about this bike from everybody on this subject. A couple questions I have as I don't think it's been asked or answered yet.

1) What is the top speed folks have gotten on the bike using throttle only and with pedal assist. Assuming using the 44T setup that they sell the bike with.
2) What range are you getting with the battery so far. I know this is subjective to how you are using it but a rough idea would be great.

Thanks!

Probably you can take a look at this Review. Performance should be the same since it had
the Banfang Ultra 1000watts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx31XFvACI

hoojsn said:
Probably you can take a look at this Review. Performance should be the same since it had

Thanks for the link!
So I watched it and he states top speed of roughly 40mph with pedal assist and 20-25mph with throttle only. Maybe I missed it didn't speak to range too much.
Does that sound about right to others for the Frey since the FLX according to link weighs in at around 58lbs. That 8lb+ difference may impact speed and distance. Thoughts?

jpstuckinnj said:
hoojsn said:

Thanks for the link!
So I watched it and he states top speed of roughly 40mph with pedal assist and 20-25mph with throttle only. Maybe I missed it didn't speak to range too much.
Does that sound about right to others for the Frey since the FLX according to link weighs in at around 58lbs. That 8lb+ difference may impact speed and distance. Thoughts?
Everything will impact speed and range.
At 90% efficiency (that is very generous for a mountain e-bike) you will need 300W to ride at speed of 20 mph. 800W at 30 mph and 1730W at 40 mph. This might be all very optimistic. You will never double the top speed by adding human power. At 40 mph cadence will be out of human range. Has anyone of you guys, who got the bike, tested the top speed with a GPS? That would be one of the first things I would do.
Maybe you did and it is just too low to write about it. :mrgreen:

I was able to reach 30.6 mph (according to Strava) on throttle-only going down a flat road that ends in a very slight downhill.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91035&p=1337988#p1337988

But this was on a relatively short stretch of road.

With a cadence of 100, you can reach ~35 mph.
With a cadence of 120, you can reach ~41 mph.

This should be well within what most people are capable of.

Don't just look at the bike weight difference. I'm sure the difference between people will be far greater. I weigh 175 lbs. Top speed has more to do with air resistance.

After you got that ebike with 1000watts, you will never want to travel that fast. For me normally I use PAS1
Eco Mode and I am capable reaching 25 miles. If you want more speed, than you are in the wrong forum. You should get a Motorcycle. Ebike behave just like bicycle, but it give you boost when you need them.

My question is: on the display there are only 5 levels of assistance both in ECO and Sport. In software there are 9 levels of assistance. How can I activate to see all 9 levels of assistance on display? Did I understand something wrong?

In the 1st place before I got my bike, I want 9 PAS setup. After receiving the bike and riding for 2 mths 5PAS is just nice. I don't know anybody using the Ultra Motor configuring into 9PAS. If you have the bike you should just ride it and have fun instead of thinking of the setup. Or you could be the 1st one to do it with the help of your manufacturer if you insist.

Got it from Frey. Relation of assist level in software and display.

Attachments

• HTB1plV6j7fb_uJjSsrb7626bVXah.png
    HTB1plV6j7fb_uJjSsrb7626bVXah.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 3,146
Thanks for the update info. From my observation Frey have a really great customer service beside great manufacturing capabilities.

I just wish to share a new channel in You -Tube dedicated to Electric Bike.
EMBM" Electric Mountain Bike Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FERA-usbLPs

Cheers

hoojsn said:
For me normally I use PAS1 Eco Mode and I am capable reaching 25 miles. If you want more speed, than you are in the wrong forum. You should get a Motorcycle.
You cannot be serious. This is perfect forum to be on to get more than 25 mph out of an e-bike and I will stick around. :evil:

Thank you for your info and sharing. :D

hoojsn said:
Thanks for the update info. From my observation Frey have a really great customer service beside great manufacturing capabilities.

I just wish to share a new channel in You -Tube dedicated to Electric Bike.
EMBM" Electric Mountain Bike Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FERA-usbLPs

Cheers

That "connecting part" is a vital component of the rear triangle. I suggest Googling "maestro suspension," to gain a better understanding of how it works. The Giant Full E uses a similar suspension system. All the pivots are necessary.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/full-eplus-1-sx-pro

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/maestro-suspension

What kind of geometry improvements do you have in mind?

starky_boi said:
...To me the first thing that could be improved is weight by hollowing out some of the parts (I'm thinking rear pivot pieces) and maybe removing the connecting part just in front of the wheel in the rear triangle (I have not seen any ebike with this kind of geometry with a connecting rod there).

The second thing would be geometry, although I'm not an expert on this, and the current geometry seems already great, but if we can improve it, why not ? Something that seems strange to me is the dual pivot behind the motor, where any other ebike has a single pivot (the rear triangle is connected in only one place behind the motor) and I can't see why... If any expert on this could enlighten me, or even advise, that'd be great. EDIT: After looking at it closely I can now guess that it allows the rear triangle to move upwards instead of rotating... I feel dumb now eheh

I'm aware that hollowing out little parts won't do much, but a few grams here and there quickly add to half, or even a full kilo, which is great !

Two of the heaviest component of bike is the Battery and the Bafang Motor.
1. Battery, unless you want less wattage equal less battery cell. Weight can be reduce.
2. Motor: Casing of the motor is pretty heavy, Frey can request Bafang to look into another material.

My next purchase will be for M600 motor ebike, the motor is well design and much lighter than the Ultra. Most importantly it stealth looking with hidden integrated battery Cosmetic appeasing compare to Bosh, Yamaha, Brose. It also can be control my Android Apps that reduce the display on the cockpit

http://www.bike-eu.com/home/nieuws/2017/8/bafang-introduces-m500-mid-motor-for-e-mtbs-10130989

My bike is using the EX1 System but exclude the chain ring and the crank set. which use the original from Bafang. Had 650 miles on it and still going strong. But I suggest to request Frey to include a Derailleur Gear Sensors in order not to smash the cog cassette and break the chain when shifting. Another thing F/R brake disc should have 203mm disc. I understand Frey have front 203mm but Rear only 180mm. If you request Frey to upgrade from your current set to EX1, it should be lower than US$250.

Does the m600 have torque sensing ??

Yes it does, it's similar to the Shimano e8000 in size. The torque of the bafang is better. I can't wait to see what they can offer with the m600/m500 motors. I've got the current Bafang 350W torque sensing motor at the moment, and the motor is great, but the frame designs need to be improved.

Andy

Yes, it has a torque sensor. I am interested to it too. But I would like to have a full trail bike with a large battery and short travel suspension

1. About gear sensor, we just tested power cut off when shifting gears. it seems mainly protect the cassette more durable, no more other function?
IMG_20180106_140940.jpg
2. Rear disc in 203mm, we will check the possibility in new batch frame.

starky_boi said:
hoojsn said:
But I suggest to request Frey to include a Derailleur Gear Sensors in order not to smash the cog cassette and break the chain when shifting.
Don't they include it already ? I thought they did as the Bafang Ultra includes it...

hoojsn said:
Another thing F/R brake disc should have 203mm disc. I understand Frey have front 203mm but Rear only 180mm.
Totally agree, would love to hear what Frey could do about that.

hoojsn said:
If you request Frey to upgrade from your current set to EX1, it should be lower than US$250.
Yeah it's quite steeply priced still... and 3 speeds less

Back