KMX Franken Trike 12-18kw Build

The U joints made for car steering linkages look pretty robust but not too heavy.

From Jegs:
Jegs U joint.jpg

All kinds of them:
https://www.google.com/search?q=steering+universal+joint&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS_tqJxa3YAhUqjlQKHYhsBP0Q_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=752

FWIW, I have a car steering linkage U-joint (found on teh side of the road several years ago, waiting for the right project) that I'm considering using to transfer the pedal chain power from the main chain to the side chain on the wheel's derailer and sprockets for my brother's trike.

I thought I had a pic of it but can't find it--but it isn't small or light. :/

Kinda looks like this one
81%2B0gKx5ZHL._SY355_.jpg

Hey AW. You have an auto power transmission U-joint. Much too big and heavy. The one Fechter shows is for steering rods; much lighter and smaller. They make even smaller ones for lawn mowers and 4-wheelers.
Just sayin'.
otherDoc

fechter said:
The U joints made for car steering linkages look pretty robust but not too heavy.

From Jegs:
Jegs U joint.jpg

All kinds of them:
https://www.google.com/search?q=steering+universal+joint&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS_tqJxa3YAhUqjlQKHYhsBP0Q_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=752

These things look like an option. I spent some time yesterday looking at various versions of this joint and they come in a variety of sizes and if it will drive like a real u-joint, might just be the right component.

docnjoj said:
Hey AW. You have an auto power transmission U-joint. Much too big and heavy. The one Fechter shows is for steering rods; much lighter and smaller. They make even smaller ones for lawn mowers and 4-wheelers.
Just sayin'.
otherDoc

Too big, true, but it would never fail under load!

With the kind of high power you are going to be running your Franken trike at ,
should you just forget about paying all that money for a KMX trike and just have someone fabricate you a frame that would have better handling ?
Meaning
Wider Stance and much longer Wheelbase .

ScooterMan101 said:
With the kind of high power you are going to be running your Franken trike at ,
should you just forget about paying all that money for a KMX trike and just have someone fabricate you a frame that would have better handling ?
Meaning
Wider Stance and much longer Wheelbase .

Nice...but I am on a budget...and that's the whole point of putting this together from readily available components. I want to drop maybe 5k into it...motor, batteries, various upgrades and components needed to be 3WD. A custom made frame is going to set me back a lot since I don't have a TIG welder to do it right.

I came across a Performer JC70 trike that's a year old for $850. The seller is about 50 miles from me. He had a wreck and bent some frame component a little. I don't know more than that about it. It is all aluminum and that would require some reinforcing for the wattage I want to put on the frame, but I expected to do that for any frame. It's a 100% complete trike. A quick google search doesn't reveal any front suspension options for it and it has a hard tail which is OK. Considering how the KMX suspension works, I bet I can adapt it to work on this trike too.

I think I found a KMX frame kit for $600 + shipping. This is truly the best option. It's all steel and I'll need the strength for all the power I intend to throw at it. Also, looking at the suspension kit, I believe I can adapt it to work for my purposes. A drop block that bolts to the suspension outer face will drop the axle to below the bottom of the frame. I will still need to get 2 custom drop blocks machined that can take a driven axle riding on inner and outer bearings. This will allow me to use some kind of CV joint to drive the axles directly without interfering with the frame. Smaller wheels will compensate for the raised front of the trike to get it back to riding level again. The factory wheels are 24" I think. 20" or 18" ought to get me back to level again.

You saw this one, right?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69621

The leaning feature seems like it would be very good at higher speeds.

fechter said:
You saw this one, right?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69621

The leaning feature seems like it would be very good at higher speeds.

Cool bike, but very complex and there's no way to make that thing 3WD. I think the leaning mechanism is totally human powered/controlled. You lean because you make the bike lean. In which case you could also lean the wrong direction by accident.

With 18 kW, I think 0-60 mph in 5 seconds is being a bit conservative.

The trike you mentioned with three 3220 motors was put together by recumpence on this board.

Also, you may want to check out Lightfoot Cycles' ATC quad, an all-wheel drive offroadable pedal quadricycle.

I have a KMX with front suspension that I put together from a frame kit. It is perhaps the cheapest option other than building your own(which can get more expensive if you don't have the tools). You can't go wrong with this choice. Mine has been taken to over 30 mph on strictly human power, and it is smoother than an infant's asscrack on rough pavement with the shocks set at 60 psi. It feels like being in a car.

I saw that video on youtube of your ass-hauling scooter that can be switched between wye and delta. I suspect that you will make for yourself a very nice jackassmobile for committing random acts of jackassery out of whatever trike you build. Sounds like fun. I will be eagerly keeping an eye on how this develops.

The Toecutter said:
With 18 kW, I think 0-60 mph in 5 seconds is being a bit conservative.

The trike you mentioned with three 3220 motors was put together by recumpence on this board.

Also, you may want to check out Lightfoot Cycles' ATC quad, an all-wheel drive offroadable pedal quadricycle.

I have a KMX with front suspension that I put together from a frame kit. It is perhaps the cheapest option other than building your own(which can get more expensive if you don't have the tools). You can't go wrong with this choice. Mine has been taken to over 30 mph on strictly human power, and it is smoother than an infant's asscrack on rough pavement with the shocks set at 60 psi. It feels like being in a car.

I saw that video on youtube of your ass-hauling scooter that can be switched between wye and delta. I suspect that you will make for yourself a very nice jackassmobile for committing random acts of jackassery out of whatever trike you build. Sounds like fun. I will be eagerly keeping an eye on how this develops.

I don't do stupid stuff. Capability and getting along with others needs to cross paths from time to time. I can drive a 3 second car to work on the interstate, but that doesn't mean I'll be doing 180 mph or racing at every stop light. 400hp in a 2900 pound car will make it go pretty fast, but that doesn't mean you use it that way.

I think this project is pretty well shelved for now.

Sorry to say I believe Lightfoot Cycles is no more. I think they closed last year. Really too bad since they had some excellent designs.
otherDoc

Interesting! There is another Lightfoot Cycles, but they are not the ones in Montana where they built their own designs. Those folks were really excellent!

Wassup man, long time no post... how is this project going? Any traction? :D

Remember you don't need 18kW to hit 70!!, all you need is some fancy aeroshell, and gears. :D
The 100 mile range is certainly now within A-3's grasp... just need to build a new battery... :)

69529102_2548053898642132_6415870993427857408_o.jpg

G.

Back