Chickens

It depends on the personality of the chicken, but a surprising amount you can just set in your yard to weed for you, and they don't ever try to run away, and don't run into the street, and generally behave smarter than a small child would as staying safe and near the house.

Weather is getting cold. Got a electric chicken water heater. Chickens seem to be enjoying the cold weather. My wife talks to them and she says that they are angry about spending their life outside in freezing weather. Closed the vents in the coop. Door stays open all the time.

Sauerkraut and spinach omelet. Very good. Cleaning out the fridge. Had some sauerkraut in a jar and spinach from a can.

Turkey, fresh spinach, and salsa omelet with a little Parmesan cheese. Excellent.

Think I will not have any issues with high cholesterol as long as I don't get a blood test.

liveforphysics said:
It depends on the personality of the chicken, but a surprising amount you can just set in your yard to weed for you, and they don't ever try to run away, and don't run into the street, and generally behave smarter than a small child would as staying safe and near the house.
Parked big truck next to chicken coop. Was afraid chickens would run under truck and get grease on their feathers. Smart chickens don't go under truck.

Chickens used to say - Cuuu, cu, cu, cu, cu, cu. Now they say - Cooold, cooold, cooold, cooold, cooold, cooold. Was getting about 4 eggs a day. Then 3, Now 1 or 2 eggs a day. Don't know if all 4 chickens are laying eggs less often, or some of the chickens stopped laying eggs? Temperature is 0° F. Chickens now spend the day cooped up in the coop. Much more poop in the coop. Less poop outside.

Was wondering if snow would collect on the roof of the run made from 1/2" wire mesh? Fechter say "One test is worth a thousand opinions"
20180101_101705.jpg
20180101_101742.jpg
20180104_101552.jpg
Celebrating the new year with some spinach.

For the record.
Scan_20180107_075858_crop.jpg
OCR
EGG LAYER CRUMBLES
This feed is for laying chickens from 16 weeks of age and continuing through their productive life.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protei'/J .....••• Min.16.0 %
Lysine .•••.........•. Min. 0.7 %
Methionine ........... Min.0.35 %
Crude Fat ............ Min. 2.5 %
Crude Fiber .......... Max. 7. 0 %
Calcium •.. Min. 3.8 % Max. 4.8 %
Phosphorus ........... Min.0.45 %
Salt ..... Min. 0.25 % Max.0.75 %
Sodium •.. Min. 0.15 % Max.0.23 %

INGREDIENTS:
Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products,
Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement,
Vitamin B12 Suppl~ment, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, dCalcium
Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Menadione
Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Thiamine
Mononitrate, Biotin, L-Lysine, OL- Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Salt,
Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Chloride,
Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide,
Sodium Selenite, Dried Trichoderrna reesei Fermentation Product

FEEDING DIRECTIONS: Feed as the sole ration beginning at 16 weeks of age. You may provide ad_ libitum access
to coarse oyster shell or limestone as desired. Provide birds continuous access to clean, cool water. It is important
to store feed in a cool, dry location free of insects, rodents and other pests_ Oo not feed if mold or infestation
occurs.

Manufactured By:
CARGILL ANIMAL NUTRITION
P.O. Box 5614
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55440
www.cargillanimalnutrition.com

NET WEIGHT 50 LB (22.67 kg) BAG OR BULK,

I am slightly envious and now interested in similar. We had a farmette with goats and chickens as a kid. I wonder if you can feed chickens dog and cat food that is often plentiful in the pet store dumpsters?
That could be cannibalism?
but quirkilly I think that only applies to humans?

Speaking of which, I am thinking I'd like one or three of the female version for pets before chickens? Try to train them and such. Sit, lay down, roll over, lay an egg.

I my neighborhood, farmer supply store gets female chicks for sale in the spring. Minimum number was 6. I sold 2 to a neighbor. That's why I have 4. Things did not go as planed with the 2 that I sold and they went to live on a chicken farm. Still waiting for payment for the 2 chicks that I sold.

No feed chickens dog and cat food. Chickens eat chicken food. Costs about $10 for 50 pounds. Chicken food tastes like eating corn mixed with sand. Looking for a 50 pound bag of human food.

Back