First post: Schwinn stealth S1000 mods

Gaffler

10 mW
I have 3 completely original schwinn stealth s1000 scooters in great working condition on SLA batteries and its time to mod them. Out with old in with new. I am looking to keep the battery compartment size original. I have read several threads and I want to thank you for sharing your information. Shot out E.G. and Ian. My scooters have front and rear shocks, front and rear disk brakes (need upgrading), stock Currie brushed 1000w geared direct drive (needs upgrading) SLA batteries (deff getting upgraded), stock brushed controller. My first thought was to install 12" brushless hub motors but I'm having trouble finding 12" hub motors that fit the 135mm drop of this frame. The ones I have found on current scooter being mfgr today they won't sell me. As for controller I'll probably get a rogramable Kelly with blutooth but not sure what one. The battery it looks like I'll build out of 25R or 30Q but i have not rulled out using lipo multistar or turangy packs. I was looking at the ATL (Amperex technology limited) flat pack battery cells (9S, 32.85VDC, 2890MAH, 94.93WH HERE ARE POWERFUL 9S ATL (AMPEREX TECHNOLOGY LIMITED) LITHIUM ION BATTERY PACKS MADE OF 9 BRAND NEW AND GENUINE ATL 10.6WH FLAT CELLS) sold on ebay but I have not found anywhere on ES that anyone has used them to build battery packs with them yet. This comfiguration could be disassembled and reconfigured into 13s7p packs or other configuration using a single BMS to charge a complete 48v battery pack. But I do not know enough about these flat cells to embark on that mission yet. Does anyone have any particular ideas for this model scooter that would make a great clean looking stealthy build? I would really appreciate any recommendations or sugestions, links to threads or links to specific parts. Thank again. Gaffler

[moderator edit to correct title spelling]

wineboyrider said:
Thrash the brushed motors first by getting lipo and bigger controller :shock:

Oh hell yeah, except if they have that internal reduction drive those don't hold up as well. I understand they were all 36v at 1000w, so a 48v controller ain't so hard. http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/48vo12unscco.html

But the options, you look around and maybe there's something that'll reach out and call your name. Find the one that matches the pic. https://electricscooterparts.com/speedcontrollers48volt.html

SPD-482000A-sm.jpg

Oh, just in case there was a 48 volt version I never knew about, you could go 60v: http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_76&product_id=190

yes 60v is in the running. My scooters do have the bunk direct drive. I thought id start this tread to see if maybe by chance someone had a brainthrust of an idea to take these to the next level or two since ElictricGod and a few others have had some very nice builds. Reading their threads has got me itching to MOD my three scooters. The Schwinn stealth s1000 platform is a great stating spot. I would really like to do a 1000w to 2000w hub motor but I cant find one with a 135mm to 150mm rear dropout with an overall wheel diameter of 13 inches. I don't want to modify the rear swing arm. I might end up going the Lightning Rod small block or Alien Power systems route like E.G. and a few other have done with the #219 kart drive or possibly a belt drive. Definitely need new front and rear hydraulic disk brakes and from what I have read this is a challenge because of the small wheels and close tire clearances. I will definitely use either Lion 18650 or the Lion ATL (Amperex Technology Limited) flat cells if I can figure out how to assemble and connect the flat cells into one big 48v or 60v pack, or LiPo multistars, 48v or 60v. I will use a Kelley programmable controller with blue tooth and some sort of display. I really hope I can find the right hub drive motor. My stock size tire reads 12.5" X 3.0, Its just the basic stock tire. I would like to run the 90/90-10 tire like ElectricGod, E-ScooterDude have used in there builds because their scooters and mine used the same basic platform and wheel/rim size I think, but I need to confirm with them that the 90/90-10 tire fit on there original size rim. They both bought new rims and I just want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. I think that 90/90-10 tire looks real good and is a safer more reliable tire with a J rating rather than the cheap skinny currie tires, that really suck. Hopefully I will get some direction from the ES community. Cheers

Attachments

• 90 90 10.jpg
    90 90 10.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 6,774
So I start to wonder what the point is in going very far with a Currie, as someone who has wasted a bit of time with them I can say there's time and money better spent. Basic things are to put a bar for your feet (Meat hooks) across the front and maybe you find a 16" kids bike at a garage sale for $5-10 and use the fork and wheel if it's the right size. Never solved the dilemma of better bars, but maybe if I'd been more serious about it. . . .

I think 48v/1200w has gotta be plenty. That's just not a platform for real speed, but this will climb hills for you and such. As much as I want to say that's kewl stuff ElectriGod is building there are better things to be riding that fast on. Those bikes have a front disc brake, right? (I suppose there could be some without.) Perhaps some improvement is in order. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Hydraulic-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Fits-For-110-125-140cc-CRF70-Pit-Dirt-Bike/183008799525?epid=1224985999&hash=item2a9c2cab25:g:6WEAAOSwwhlaVLXR&vxp=mtr
and https://www.ebay.com/itm/47-49cc-X1-X2-Pocket-Mini-Dirt-Bike-Chopper-Scooter-Brake-Disc-Rotor-U-DR10S/162539069108?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49893%26meid%3Da9197983f4714047a6d44f4f869e00dc%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162188362547%26itm%3D162539069108&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

I haven't used those together, I was just cooking up the idea tonight, but there's a way to go. I think you need to seek something you'll enjoy running at that speed while others struggle.

Yiyun makes a 60v 50amp brushed controller that would pep that thing up and fry the stock motor. Probably be fine for a long time depending on how much lipo you stuff in the thing.... :D

wineboyrider said:
Yiyun makes a 60v 50amp brushed controller that would pep that thing up and fry the stock motor. Probably be fine for a long time depending on how much lipo you stuff in the thing.... :D

That's the fun part of the project when you're using the 350-650w scooters, it's not good for anything anyway, why not, eh? By the time you're reaching 750w you're coming into a scoot that has some practical use before you turn it into a ticking time bomb. And it's not so great at the increasing speeds anyway.

I am really not looking for the high speeds, more of a solid 20 to 30 mph, good hill climber, sleek, stealthy looking dependable machine. as for the platform I think it is a great frame to upgrade with its solid crow molly steal tubing construction, front and rear disk brakes, good ground clearance not to mention a very stable to ride. With the right brushless hub moto or Lightning Rods brushless small block and KART sprockets and chain with a solid programmable controller with blue tooth and good batteries these Schwinn stealth s1000 scooters will be cool and run for a long time. Not to mention fun for me and my kids to take apart and rebuild with new modern components. There are so many of these scooter on craigslist and for sale everywhere I think coming up with a good clean mod plan for these is a great idea. So that's why I started this tread.

Dauntless: Thanks for the brake links I will look into those and see if they will clear the wheel. Your right about the Currie drive, it was ok to start out and believe it or not they are still working very good. I am just looking for some 135mm to 150mm dropout hub motors to cut the Currie drive and motor out completely, streamline the scooter, make it more dependable and more silent (stealthy) like its original name Schwinn Stealth s1000w. We use these scooters all the time around our home town and while traveling to get out and just cruise new places we travel to, parking is a breeze, lol

Wineboyrider: I have seen that 10" QSmotor but the dropout is 200m and I do not want to modify the rear swing arm. I have looked high and low for a 12" hub motor with 135mm to 150mm dropout. in fact Mike QSmotor Moser called QS headquarters to see if they built or would build me three hub motors with 135mm to 150mm dropout 1000w to 2000w hub motor and no dice. I have found a couple scooter manufactures that have great hub motors that would work great, like the DUELTRON ULTRA, but they wont sell me just the hub motor, sure I could just buy there whole scooter and its real nice, but whats the fun in that, lol.. Also as for the brushed controller you mentioned I might do that in the short term just to finish off the currie drives, I wonder how long they will last? they are all in real good working condition and I have taken real good care of them. I originaly bought these scooter is 2007 from Costco $320.00 each, so a 10 solid years (several battery replacements and brake pads over the years) and still going strong says something for these scooters will to survive.

The stock electronics will handle 50 volts, increase top speed from 15mph to 20mph. Power goes up to 1800 Watts. I have been running 12s-50 volt lipo set up for about 6 years now. I use a “watt’s up” meter ($35) in-line to measure battery data: capacity- fuel gauge, volts, amps, watt hours, etc. Get yourself a good battery pack and charger from EM3ev, there is enough room in the tray for a battery pack to take you 50-70 miles of range.
I tried some other speed controllers but the stock ending up working best.

Wait a minute, are you talking about the same 1000w Stealth S1000 or ST1000 as him? Ezip Stealth E1000 has what's supposed to be a better controller, etc. How is the hill climb?

ILl try to help since I had the same scooter and changed over to Lashout. The current lashout will do 40 MPH 60 Volt. Still SLA will need to change over to Lithium Seems like I cant up load the Schwinn pictures let me see if I start another thread. scooter.JPG

Schwinn IM sorry the pictures are too big . I know mine did not have disc brake had to modify the motors to dual BMCs dual 750 watt controllers . If any body needs the pics I can e mail them just send me a PM

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but does anyone still own these? Here are my three Schwinn Stealth S2000 electric scooters.

Schwinn Stealth S2000 Direct Drive (no chain) 48v 2000w

Schwinn S750 (chain-drive) running 48v 2000w

Schwinn Fusion 1000 converted to a 48v 2000W brushless hub motor (2WD on the way)

I'm a huge fan of these heavy-duty Currie-Tech scooters with off-road capability. I modified mine to compete with, if not outperform, most current scooters, lol!

media.textnow.jpg

I have a rigid schwinn 750 rusting in the garage that I got as part of buying another scooter. Mind sharing some more details on the hub motor set up? I was contemplating doing a hub set up as a chill cruiser since my other projects are aiming for a higher
"pucker factor" as I like to call it

2Phast2Delirious said:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but does anyone still own these? Here are my three Schwinn Stealth S2000 electric scooters.

Schwinn Stealth S2000 Direct Drive (no chain) 48v 2000w

Schwinn S750 (chain-drive) running 48v 2000w

Schwinn Fusion 1000 converted to a 48v 2000W brushless hub motor (2WD on the way)

I'm a huge fan of these heavy-duty Currie-Tech scooters with off-road capability. I modified mine to compete with, if not outperform, most current scooters, lol!

media.textnow.jpg

Where did you get the hub motor?

MorbidlyObeseKoala said:
I have a rigid schwinn 750 rusting in the garage that I got as part of buying another scooter. Mind sharing some more details on the hub motor set up? I was contemplating doing a hub set up as a chill cruiser since my other projects are aiming for a higher
"pucker factor" as I like to call it

Everything came from Alibaba. I've purchased a few different motors in the past, but this is the only one that fits flawlessly and still allows me to utilize the rear disc brakes! I'm going to convert the rear to hydraulic.

Schwinn Side Battery 1.jpg
Schwinn Front Angle Battery.jpg
Schwinn Stealth Front.jpg
Schwinn Rare Carbon Fiber Seat.jpg
Schwinn Speedometer.jpg

Thats awesome! Can you send me a link? I just got a stealth 1000 that has been sitting and my grandpas garage. I figured it would be a fun project. Just bought new lead acid batteries for it just to get it going. But I'd like to build a lipo battery pack and upgrade to hub motors. Did you replace the gears in yours too?

Hey there I also was buzzing around the forms to upgrade my ST1000. Can you send me the info on what parts you used and how it all went together. I figured it would be a fun to bring mine up to speed and also get more miles out of it. I like how you upgraded to hub motor and still are able to use the disc brakes. Also I like how the you don’t have to modify the battery box when using lipos. what charger are you using?
Basically, I want to build it exact to this one, can you help me with all the info
Thank you

:bigthumb:

I just picked up three of the Schwinn Stealth S1000/ST1000 scooters, and I'm trying to learn everything I can about what makes these work. I have a mix of good/bad SLA batteries and would like to replace/upgrade them all at once. Any help understanding the controller, battery options, why one scooter has an electronic lead in the brake and two do not, etc.

Thanks all,
Richard

Back