GPS tracker

The-Verge-01.png

(Wiki:)
The Verge is an American technology news and media network operated by Vox Media. It has offices in Manhattan, New York City.

VanMoof's new bike-hunting team is chasing down stolen bikes across Europe:
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/3/14424548/vanmoof-stolen-smart-bike-thief-tracking-cellular-chips

Starts:
The bike hunter’s first mission was successful, but it wasn’t easy. He spent 12 hours tracking a customer’s stolen bike around Paris before it became clear the bike was on its way out of town. So the bike hunter chased it all the way to Brussels before finding the bike — loaded on a delivery truck bound for Casablanca, Morocco. One call to the Belgian police, and the bike was brought back to the VanMoof company offices in Amsterdam for a checkup before being returned to Paris.

... goes on:
One of the main reasons to cough up $2–3,000 for a VanMoof smart bike is security. Where countless other startups are trying to solve bike theft with smart locks and handlebars, the upstart Dutch manufacturer embeds GSM and Bluetooth sensors in its smart bikes in order to track them if and when they’re stolen. It’s a safety feature and a selling point: buy a VanMoof, and not only do you have a more secure bike, the company hopes that eventually thieves will just know to avoid them in the first place.

[youtube]s5OWbspgIg8[/youtube]

Ping site:
http://pinggps.com/

... where they say:
Ping GPS Locator
Clip Attachment
1 Year Free Service
Charging Cable
Free iOS and Android mobile app

$99 SOLD OUT!

:cry:

http://pinggps.com/ping-gps-sold-out/
... and:
Due to the overwhelming demand of our crowdfunding campaign, our initial production run is sold out. We anticipate opening back up for orders shortly.

Please sign-up to be notified when this happens to receive special discounts on the device and accessories. We respect your privacy and will never spam or sell your information.

:roll:

Seen... elsewhere... posted by username Mr.Coffee:
GPS trackers are awesome. When you find one with a decent app please tell me about it.

I've got a boomerang and while I rather like it, the software isn't really up to the quality level that it needs to be. The website interface is better than the app (IOS and Android) but still isn't that much to brag about.

I've three principal complaints, in ascending order of lameness:

(1) You can manage multiple bikes, but you can't name or rename the bikes.
(2) You can find your bike, but there isn't a good direct method to navigate (e.g. get directions) to where your bike is. You can paste the lat/long from the web site into google maps and navigate that way. But if you end up navigating to an apartment building it would be a challenge to figure out which apartment your bike was in.
(3) Logging in to the website or the app is hilariously insecure. Well, it isn't really hilarious. If you knew someone who had a boomerang it would be straightforward to log in to the website and stalk them. Although your stalking would be limited because you can't easily navigate to them because of (2).

8)

I have connections to a guy who has programmed a commercial app for android which let you track your phone perfectly. Pm me if interested.

^^ "a commercial app for android"? Can't post a link? (Others may be interested also...)

:?

Well.. Yeah why not directly poste it - good question.. I will ask him if he is ok with me posting the link to his webside. :)

Chinese bike share firm goes bust after losing 90% of bikes:
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40351409

Starts:
A Chinese bike-sharing company has gone out of business after 90% of its bikes went missing in the first five months.

Chongqing-based Wukong Bikes said the bulk of its 1,200 two-wheelers were lost or stolen.

Unlike rivals, the firm did not put GPS systems on its bikes and by the time it realised the technology was necessary, money had run out.

.... and:
In most cases, bikes are fitted with a GPS chip, allowing users to locate a bike.

... ends:
Similar schemes have opened up in Hong Kong and Singapore with Ofo planning to launch in Cambridge in the UK.

8)

BTW. Sherlock Bike just tweeted: "We won the Best Startup award at the @CosmobikeVR tech award! Come visit us at Area 9, stand A3 #cosmobikeshow #sherlockbike
http://pic.twitter.com/pfFjn9bHvY "

"@CosmobikeVR"? I assume they are referring to the 2017 CosmoBike Show happening right now in Verona, Italy.
(Seen in ES Newz:)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71159&p=1320189#p1320189

:mrgreen:

News from the UK...

New crime statistics show how criminals target bikes:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/new-crime-statistics-show-how-criminals-target-bikes/021851

Starts:
The results of the 2017 National Cycle Crime Survey have been revealed following last week’s Cycle to Work Day.

The new national survey provides an insight into bike ownership, theft profiles and the most popular security measures used to protect them including locking, marking and registration.

... includes:
GPS trackers were used by just three per cent of bike owners to protect their bikes.

logo.png

(Wiki:)
Orissa Post is an Indian English-language daily newspaper published from Bhubaneswar, Sambalpur, Angul, Rayagada, Odisha. It was started in 2011, by Dharitri (newspaper) group, which runs one of the largest circulated Oriya newspaper.
(... and:)
Bhubaneswar, also spelt as Bhubaneshwar, is the capital of the Indian state of Odisha. It is the largest city in Odisha and is a centre of economic and religious importance in Eastern India. Population (2011) Metropolis 837,456

GPS-enabled cycle-sharing system in city soon
http://www.orissapost.com/gps-enabled-cycle-sharing-system-in-city-soon/

Starts:
Bhubaneswar: With a plan to promote eco-friendly, non-motorised transportation in the city, the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) has decided to come up with a bicycle sharing project for the city.
According to sources, BMC will initially buy 1000 bicycles, and the tender for the project will be floated within two months. Significantly, the civic body has urged the Public Works Department (PWD) to construct cycle tracks along the arterial roads as part of the project.
“We have asked the PWD to construct cycle tracks from Raj Bhavan to Patia and from airport to Nandankanan. A separate track will ensure safety of the riders,” said a top BMC official.
In fact, BMC has also decided to install GPS system in the cycles for tracking their location and preventing theft. As per the plan, the corporation will set docking points at major locations for collection of cycles. Accordingly, the city will have more than 10 docking points and BMC would collect only a nominal fee from the users.

8)

Hehe... Ooops. :mrgreen:

GPS A Global War (Technology Documentary) | Spark
[youtube]5u31wK2GYBA[/youtube]

Downloaded a random program for my Windows phone, GPS Tracker is what its called. Got the GPX file, converted it to KMZ, installed Google Earth and it comes up. It gives me a good route tracer in G.E. and a bunch of stats within the cell phone app, but no way points.

Time to hunt down a good app.

Vanmoof’s pledge to recover stolen customer bikes leads to international theft ring discovery:
https://cyclingindustry.news/vanmoo...-leads-to-international-theft-ring-discovery/

Starts:
Dutch bicycle business Vanmoof has almost by accident assisted in bringing authorities down on an international stolen bike trader.

Pledging to its customers to track down or replace its bikes if they’re stolen, much thanks to hidden trackers embedded in the frames, Vanmoof took the unusual step to travel all the way from Amsterdam to Casablanca in Morocco in a bid to capture a thief who had originally stolen the bicycle in Paris.

:mrgreen:

Those guys at Vanmoof’s mean business, tracking a stolen bike from France to Morocco, recovering it, and finding the organized thieves network.

Your bike’s bodyguards !
Worth every penny. :twisted:

Got a tracker but it has limited battery life. I am trying to find out how to wire it so it has 12v power even when the key is turned in the off position. I have a scooter style ebike with a 72v lithium (Nca) battery pack from codd power. Any advise on where to attach for constant power?

^^ Any pics? Link etc to manufacturer? Watt battery/batteries does it use... rechargeable? D'you have any DC-DC outputs on yer bike?

Sounds like fun. Had anybuddy track you while ya ride around? Any vids to show off? :mrgreen:

mark.curry3 said:
Got a tracker but it has limited battery life. I am trying to find out how to wire it so it has 12v power even when the key is turned in the off position. I have a scooter style ebike with a 72v lithium (Nca) battery pack from codd power. Any advise on where to attach for constant power?
Teh only answer to that is you have to measure power sources on the bike to see where it has 12v when the key is off.

If there are none, then you either have to:

--rewire the bike's existing 12v source so it is always on (which will continously drain your main battery that is powering it)

--add a new 12v converter to your main battery to make a new power source that is always on, (which will continously drain your main battery that is powering it)

--add a separate 12v battery to run the tracker

[youtube]D4xyAMb-CSY[/youtube]

:wink:

Could solder a 18650 battery to a usb cable to power the RC / Dog tracker for like 30 or more days.

^^ Sorry? (Too much babbling... sorry...)

Back