Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

How easy will it be to implement belt drive and eliminate the chain? Will many modifications be needed to the drive train?

brumbrum said:
How easy will it be to implement belt drive and eliminate the chain? Will many modifications be needed to the drive train?

to install a belt drive to the rear wheel you will need to remove the swingarm, jackshaft, and rear wheel.. install larger diameter and wider belt sprockets front and rear, make sure that you will have enough clearance for the wider belt and sprockets by the motor, tire and chain stays and find a belt with the proper length to achieve your desired gearing.. then if the belt should happen to break from a stick, rock or mud buildup on the sprocket you will not be able to perform a trail side repair without removing the swingarm, jackshaft, and rear wheel.. so be prepared to carry necessary tools with you if riding off-road.. this is the reason that zero offers chain drive conversion on the fx for off-road use..

JuiceMeUp said:
Where this thing really shines is in tight single track, hard enduro type riding. I take the Sur-ron to places I wouldn't even go with a mountain bike. I do climbs with it that would have me shitting my pants (or not even attempting) on my KTM690. Descents as well. I have full confidence dropping into an unexplored valley or gorge that I will get back out.
Yep, I'm exactly the same. I've ridden bigger bikes but I don't like being so high off the ground because I do more of that hard enduro type riding too. Go somewhere new, ride off on what looks like a decent trail only for it to dissappear into scrub shortly after. Oh well, lets push on and see if it picks up again. Next thing you know you're in the bottom of a valley or thick in scrub and you may or may not be able to go back the way you came. I'm often lifting it over big rocks or logs or pushing off stuff at all sorts of low angles that'd see you falling off a full sized bike, to get up to areas that aren't REALLY bike trails, but they can be on the surron :)
As you said this bike gives you the confidence to basically go where ever and not worry what's around the next corner or drop. I did nearly bring myself majorly unstuck a few weeks ago though when I climbed the steepest goat track ever that rapidly became so narrow I couldn't even put my feet down without the ground crumbling away and falling down the cliff edge off the razor thin trail. It would have been sketchy to even walk up and being heavily strewn with rocks made it a real challenge to get up!

Acceleration in the tight stuff is more than I need.
Yep those that are saying they want more power (amusingly many who've never even ridden the bike!) need to assess how and where they're going to ride. For the sort of stuff we like to ride the bike is fantastic right out out of the box. If you're more into blasting along wide open trails then maybe you could do with a bit more poke.

Hey-I also just discovered that it is a cable actuated throttle (turning a servo tester? in the controller). Guess that's how it keeps it IP rating and survives the pressure washer at the end of the day...
Didn't I post about this the day I got it ? I assumed it's a cable pulling on a spring with a hall and magnet in a little sealed box. Either way this sets it apart from most other ebikes and it's the reason I was able to easily run the aftermarket mx grips.

Oh yeah, and my little bloke is having a blast riding the bike. We take it to the park every few days when I'm not working late and once we're off and moving (he's 7 so way too short to touch the ground) I hand the controls to him and he accelerates, steers and brakes so I'm just along for the ride :D

Oh and as for the belt conversion, for the above reasons it's probably not a good idea on this bike. My back tyre is nearly bald so I'm going to try and fit a slightly fatter one, but there's bugger all clearance from the chain as is, and it's quite a skinny rear tyre (front and rear are the same width, the rear is usually fatter on a dirt bike)

Levi-surron.jpg

Yep those that are saying they want more power (amusingly many who've never even ridden the bike!) need to assess how and where they're going to ride.

Why is it amusing that those who haven't experienced the bike's power want to be assured that it has enough? There was a video posted here that seemed to imply that the bike lacks grunt on bigger hills, and another on the Web saying that the 6kw motor feels more like 3kw. If I'm going to order a $3500 bike without riding one I'd like to know if the gearing will be right for me, at 190lbs. If I can get a 40mph (56T?) sprocket installed by the dealer I'd rather go that route than have to track one down after finding the bike doesn't climb big hills well enough with me on board.

BTW, that helmet your kid is wearing doesn't offer enough protection for a child's softer skull, and it lacks neck protection. Kids need good helmets.

LeftieBiker said:
Why is it amusing that those who haven't experienced the bike's power want to be assured that it has enough? There was a video posted here that seemed to imply that the bike lacks grunt on bigger hills, and another on the Web saying that the 6kw motor feels more like 3kw.
One of my vids or someone elses ? I've posted a few vids and alot of feedback and I've never had any power complaints.
The specs state 3kw continuous and 6kw peak - if you've ridden a ~5kw hub bike then that's roughly how it feels but with better climbing on steep stuff. If you've not ridden anything similar then trying to make comparisons on paper is difficult.

If I'm going to order a $3500 bike without riding one I'd like to know if the gearing will be right for me, at 190lbs. If I can get a 40mph (56T?) sprocket installed
I'll let someone else who's ridden one confirm but I doubt you'll see those sorts of speeds with a 56t. Mine is running the 48t and I barely go over those speeds, and I'm 25lb lighter.
It's a great bike for the money and even if you have to spend a little later on for different sprockets I reckon it's worth it. But if you're not hung up on top speed then go straight for the bigger sprocket.

BTW, that helmet your kid is wearing doesn't offer enough protection for a child's softer skull, and it lacks neck protection
Yeah he has a full face helmet, gloves and armour for when he's riding his own e-moto. With me on board although he's technically riding I'm still in control, shifting my weight around to subtly control the bike and grab the bars as soon as is necessary. And he's not going any faster than he would be on his bmx wearing the same helmet.

BTW, that helmet your kid is wearing doesn't offer enough protection for a child's softer skull, and it lacks neck protection///////
Yeah he has a full face helmet, gloves and armour for when he's riding his own e-moto. With me on board although he's technically riding I'm still in control, shifting my weight around to subtly control the bike and grab the bars as soon as is necessary. And he's not going any faster than he would be on his bmx wearing the same helmet.

So my son Jet and I were riding around the neighbor hood as we have been doing for the last few years. Jet wasn't wearing a helmet and he's 6 now. Being a product of the 70s, I never wore a helmet on a bicycle when riding the street, never, so thats why I wasn't pushing Jet to wear a helmet. Anyway, we were blasting down the block going about 16MPH according to the P7's speedo, and all of a sudden, Jet's bike gets some head shake in the bars and front wheel and over the bars he goes. He face planted forehead first right on the asphalt and had instant road rash on his head and hands. I was so proud, he didn't cry, got back on his bike and we continued riding. When we got home, mom saw the road rash on Jets head and hands and blew her top. Here I am being the proud parent of my son who just learned a valuable lesson about gravity and I am trying to brag about it to his mom. Needless to say for the sake of domestic harmony, jet wears a helmet now.

A lot of posts since mine!

The LB hill climb vid was actually posted on page nine of the Freerider topic, about mid page:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57990&start=200

The 3kw/6kw observation was elsewhere on YouTube. I forget who it was.

I'd LIKE to get 40MPH but climbing ability is more important. I'd settle for the same 37MPH as a Kuberg. ;)

I'm also a child of the Seventies, and I had numerous bicycle falls, with no bike helmet ever worn. (I always wore a helmet on my dirt bikes or snowmobile though, which probably saved my life at least once.) Thing is, concussions are a sneaky, cumulative thing: I showed no (lasting) symptoms of them until I hit Middle Age. Now I have serious memory issues, along with some other brain injury symptoms. Sometimes that which doesn't kill us actually makes us weaker, without us realizing it...

Rix said:
When we got home, mom saw the road rash on Jets head and hands and blew her top.
haha yeah that's something we have in common! Both my kids plowed up pretty hard on up my electric skateboard mere hours apart - and of course it was in the school holidays when mum was out and dad was on duty. The eldest was standing up and somehow lost it when doing about 30 and ate shit good and proper. He had a helmet on but got going gravel rash all down one side of his body. The younger one (pictured above) wasn't so confident in standing up so was tearing around sitting down, which was all well and good until an error in judgement saw him belting for the gutter at the end of the cul de sac. He's used to skipping over it on his bike and down into the reserve below (the exact same place where bruno crashed) but he failed to register that even a 2" gutter is enough to bring a skateboard undone. I looked up to see him flying through the air then tumbling through the bushes.
Mum's screaming ban on any further riding of said skateboard taught them an important life lesson: If you eat shit riding one of dads e-toys, suck it up and don't tell mum :lol:

I'm only a baby of the 70s so wasn't doing stunts until the early 80s but remember the helmet campaigns were hitting hard then (Any aussie's remember this classic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQqJBdlDbU LOL )
I always make my kids wear a helmet, and I always wear one too (unless I'm just jumping on to test something, which is often when things go wrong!)
A testament to wearing your helmet is a crash I had last year on my dirt bike when I went flying over the bars at a decent speed and hit the ground so hard I gave myself a black eye right through a full face helmet. I'd hate to think of the damage with no helmet on...
And yeah, I'm forgetful enough as it is without getting any actual brain injuries!

LeftieBiker said:
The LB hill climb vid was actually posted on page nine of the Freerider topic, about mid page:

Ah that's a vid from juicemeup who posted above. That vid is actually a testament to how well these bikes climb. Having not ridden one you can't tell, but I can say that the bike still had a bit in it on that climb and considering he said it's a challenging hill even for dirt bike's he, or rather the bike, did pretty well. On some of those gnarly hill climbs it's more the terrain that can bring you unstuck rather than the grade itself. I've tackled some really steep stuff on mine and ended up bailing due to bouncing around over rocks and the fine line between traction and front wheel trying to come up at you

Rix said:
When we got home, mom saw the road rash on Jets head and hands and blew her top.
haha yeah that's something we have in common! Both my kids plowed up pretty hard on up my electric skateboard mere hours apart - and of course it was in the school holidays when mum was out and dad was on duty. The eldest was standing up and somehow lost it when doing about 30 and ate shit good and proper. He had a helmet on but got going gravel rash all down one side of his body. The younger one (pictured above) wasn't so confident in standing up so was tearing around sitting down, which was all well and good until an error in judgement saw him belting for the gutter at the end of the cul de sac. He's used to skipping over it on his bike and down into the reserve below (the exact same place where bruno crashed) but he failed to register that even a 2" gutter is enough to bring a skateboard undone. I looked up to see him flying through the air then tumbling through the bushes.
Mum's screaming ban on any further riding of said skateboard taught them an important life lesson: If you eat shit riding one of dads e-toys, suck it up and don't tell mum :lol:

I'm only a baby of the 70s so wasn't doing stunts until the early 80s but remember the helmet campaigns were hitting hard then (Any aussie's remember this classic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQqJBdlDbU LOL )
I always make my kids wear a helmet, and I always wear one too (unless I'm just jumping on to test something, which is often when things go wrong!)
A testament to wearing your helmet is a crash I had last year on my dirt bike when I went flying over the bars at a decent speed and hit the ground so hard I gave myself a black eye right through a full face helmet. I'd hate to think of the damage with no helmet on...
And yeah, I'm forgetful enough as it is without getting any actual brain injuries!

LeftieBiker said:

Ah that's a vid from juicemeup who posted above. That vid is actually a testament to how well these bikes climb. Having not ridden one you can't tell, but I can say that the bike still had a bit in it on that climb and considering he said it's a challenging hill even for dirt bike's he, or rather the bike, did pretty well. On some of those gnarly hill climbs it's more the terrain that can bring you unstuck rather than the grade itself. I've tackled some really steep stuff on mine and ended up bailing due to bouncing around over rocks and the fine line between traction and front wheel trying to come up at you
[/quote]

Rix said:
motomoto said:
I should be getting a sheet of 1/4 imch in about a week and a half.

Put me down as your first customer. Whether you cut a 55, 56, or 58.

Me too please.

Hyena said:
Oh and as for the belt conversion, for the above reasons it's probably not a good idea on this bike. My back tyre is nearly bald so I'm going to try and fit a slightly fatter one, but there's bugger all clearance from the chain as is, and it's quite a skinny rear tyre (front and rear are the same width, the rear is usually fatter on a dirt bike)

just for the record, I'm not poo pooing on the belt drive idea.. just being realistic about what it would take to implement and under what conditions it could be best utilized.. belt drive could be cool for street use, urban freeride and light duty off-road.. but it may be better left to the manufacturer to produce as an option with further product development.. so distributors/ sellers that see merit in a belt drive option should keep bugging the manufacturer to develop and offer belt drive as a future option.. better to have the manufacturer bear the costs of R&D and any changes to the bike that may be necessary to accommodate belt drive, such as a wider rear swingarm to fit wider tires or belt / sprocket clearance.. as for off-road use in inclement conditions, mud, rocks, branches, etc some may even want to convert the primary drive from the motor to the jackshaft from belt to chain drive.. i think this would be a more worthwhile and easily achievable goal for sellers or individual modders.. back in the days of swiss electric motorcycle manufacturer Quantya, this was a popular and often necessary mod as mud and trail debris would build up on the bike primary drive belt sprocket causing the belt to stretch and break, leaving the bike inoperable and the rider potentially stranded.. you would not want that to happen out in the bush or far from the trail head.. :idea:
and while your at it, keep bugging them to produce a better pedal kit option.. such as putting the pedal cranks in front of the motor not behind it, with a chain from cranks to a freewheel on the motor shaft..

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to make a cover to enclose the primary belt to keep dirt from getting on it.

just for the record, I'm not poo pooing on the belt drive idea..

I like the idea of a chain and sprocket because its so easy to add or remove a link in case one wants to change the gearing. For example switching from a 48t to a 58t sprocket, just add 5 or 6 links of chain. Cant do this with a belt.

Hi could some one give the details on how to order a Sur-Ron electric bike please as in uk and cant seem to find details. regards Nick1551

LeftieBiker said:
A lot of posts since mine!

Hi L.B - That hill-climb (mine) seems to be spoken about as a bit of a failure of the Sur-ron. I'd like to add some perspective.
The gradient is aprox 45 degrees with loose, blown out, chunky terrain underneath you. aprox elevation is 100 feet
From a standing start a dirt bike would not achieve traction to get 1/3 the way up. 4WD's even test themselves there.
I'm posting it to try to find the limits of the bike in its stock form.
Was it happy about the ordeal? Not really, but did it anyway with no ill effects. Kind of like a good missus consenting to Birthday anal :shock:
A few teeth up on the rear would make it into a lil uphill mono monster. Very keen to go there.
Chalk me up for a bigger sprocket anybody.... "Take my money"

fechter said:
Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to make a cover to enclose the primary belt to keep dirt from getting on it.

I have read that at high rpm belt drive needs to have adequate ventilation or it can overheat and potentially damage the belt..

I have been trying a few different mods with my bikes in the last few months of ownership.

I began with flipping the bar stem and shuffling the spacers around to get a bit more bar height.,
Then I got a few different sets of riser bars (38mm rise)to try out to get more comfortable.

I also have fitted Michelin MX tyres my Fastace equipped bike, these are heavy but grippier.

I have now been trialling a 26" front wheel on my RST equipped bike, which i have found awesome for single trails and bounce wheelies.
I am using a Halo SAS rim and Duro Wildlife 3" tyre as suggested by the LMX guys. (Im currently building a LMX161)

I will now be testing a 27.5" 40mm rim on my Fastace equipped bike, as it doesnt have the lower crown and allows a taller rim.

The bar height is now at 1100mm and feels nice. The tyre is 100mm overall taller than the Michelin im running on the Sur-ron rim.
This gives an extra 50mm bar height on what i already had achieved.
Ill report back once tested.

Attachments

• LB26.jpg
    LB26.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,750
  • Light bee 27.5.JPG
    Light bee 27.5.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 2,750
Another mod that will need to be done is a better shroud for the primary gear on the reduction shaft.

After one day at a mx track i found the belt begin to get noisy, and after a thorough clean i noticed this wear on the gear.

I would recommend anyone contemplating a secondary belt drive to steer clear of coarse dirt/sand or enclose the drive completely.

Attachments

• LB Gear wear.JPG
    LB Gear wear.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 2,734
  • LB Gear wear2.JPG
    LB Gear wear2.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 2,734
Aebrennan said:
These the ones on the way to Luna?

Yep!
A container with a lot of green apparently! :|
[/quote]

Well, hoping my white/silver one's nestled in there well! Hope the pedal kit won't be too compromising.

Back