E-Kart Build I need your Help

futurerel

1 mW
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to build an E-kart so I could have a project with my twin brother. Yes, we are new to this but hopefully, this will get us well rounded. So far we have a Phantom Racing Chassis, Motor, and controller. The part I am having a problem since I'm new to this is finding what batteries to use to get the most riding time and speed. I want at least a 1hr runtime and at least to be able to reach 60mph within 2-3 sec. Also, I want to know should I go with A123 or LG18650?

Here are the parts I have already...
- Phantom Racing Chassis
- Sabvoton SVMC072150 Controller
- Motenergy 72v ME0201014201 Motor

What I need to know:
-What batteries should I use?
-What is the easiest way to charge?
-Should I install a BMS?

THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE FOR HELPING ME :D !!!!

I'd recommend reading the other Kart threads to see what they did first, so you can avoid any problems / mistakes they experienced.

A few of htem are in this list
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*kart*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

With that motor and controller you can't have 2-3s to 60mph, the fastest you will get is 7-8 seconds.
If you want 1h run time then you can't run your motor at peak hp either.
I personally choosed A123 pouches at first because they have the safest you will get aside lead-acid.
So average 4-10hp is 6hp=4,5kw and running around 1h you need 4,5kwh battery.
Two A123 20Ah in parallel is 40Ah and for 72V you need 24 of them in series so its around 2,8kwh battery.
I do not recommend putting more that 2 in parallel, because it would be to heavy then.
But for A123 you need to build a solid case to protect them also.

nuxland said:
With that motor and controller you can't have 2-3s to 60mph, the fastest you will get is 7-8 seconds.
If you want 1h run time then you can't run your motor at peak hp either.
I personally choosed A123 pouches at first because they have the safest you will get aside lead-acid.
So average 4-10hp is 6hp=4,5kw and running around 1h you need 4,5kwh battery.
Two A123 20Ah in parallel is 40Ah and for 72V you need 24 of them in series so its around 2,8kwh battery.
I do not recommend putting more that 2 in parallel, because it would be to heavy then.
But for A123 you need to build a solid case to protect them also.

Only problem i find with the pouches is that if one cell die it will bring all the other pouches down to 0v

futurerel said:
Only problem i find with the pouches is that if one cell die it will bring all the other pouches down to 0v
not all of them, ..only the ones in parallel...and that applies to any battery system.
But the pack may well stop working , depending on the pouch failure mode.

Hillhater said:
futurerel said:
not all of them, ..only the ones in parallel...and that applies to any battery system.
But the pack may well stop working , depending on the pouch failure mode.

Correct but on my 18650 i use tesla style fuses so when that happens the fuse will go. :D
BUT i do like the A123 pouches better

Back