KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW)

+1 on that hidden off-road mode :mrgreen: I like the idea of defaulting to limited mode unless a secret brake lever pattern is entered.

Do you happen to know the max gate charge the FETs may have before the risk of shoot-through becomes apparent with this firmware? I'm wondering if one could replace them with 120nC or 140nC FETs for improved efficiency and lower heat. For reference, the stock STP80NF70 have 75nC.

1N4001 said:
+1 on that hidden off-road mode :mrgreen: I like the idea of defaulting to limited mode unless a secret brake lever pattern is entered.

Do you happen to know the max gate charge the FETs may have before the risk of shoot-through becomes apparent with this firmware? I'm wondering if one could replace them with 120nC or 140nC FETs for improved efficiency and lower heat. For reference, the stock STP80NF70 have 75nC.

Best you can get is CSD19536(xxx) (down to 2.0mOhm) Tested by me - Working

https://cz.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=CSD19536

These controllers use same MOSFET driver from 6 to 24fet - 4 parallel (75x4) so for sure when the bugs will be corrected, you can run 6fet 4,5kw, 12fet 9kw, etc..

I promised to show some log-data of peak throttle vs. averaged thottle some weeks ago. So here you are. I've used a hm-05 bluetooth module to send the data to my smartphone while riding on the street. The log starts with turning the pedals backwards at standstill, then riding a litte distance, then turning and riding back. Shortly before end, I'm turning pedals backwards again.

throttle max vs. average.PNG

I had to improve the direction detection also, as it is quite tricky with the PAS-Signal of the modded torquesensor. I use a variable that is increased when foreward is detected and decreases when reverse is detected and is limited to the range of 0 ... 7. If the variable is bigger than 3, the flag for foreward turning pedals is set.

PAS direction detection.PNG

regards
stancecoke

honya96 said:
1N4001 said:

Best you can get is CSD19536(xxx) (down to 2.0mOhm) Tested by me - Working

https://cz.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=CSD19536

These controllers use same MOSFET driver from 6 to 24fet - 4 parallel (75x4) so for sure when the bugs will be corrected, you can run 6fet 4,5kw, 12fet 9kw, etc..
Wait, so the 24 FET controllers just run 4 FETs in parallel? Interesting. I thought they paralled the gate drivers too, one per FET. Well, in that case up to 300nC should pose no problem at all. Thanks for the info!

1N4001 said:
Wait, so the 24 FET controllers just run 4 FETs in parallel? Interesting. I thought they paralled the gate drivers too, one per FET. Well, in that case up to 300nC should pose no problem at all. Thanks for the info!
Even Stock 24fet with 4410's (180nC max per MOSFET) exists. I Have 6,12,18fet and the MOSFET drivers look the same, Gates are parallel.

honya96 said:
http://s.aliexpress.com/AryyqeER?fromSns=Copy
http://s.aliexpress.com/zINzeMzi?fromSns=Copy

I would like to try, if these work. I don't like the big bulky ones you have.

I've tested these "sempu"-sensors already. They work really fine, but they need a higher supply voltage than 5V. The third generation works with battery voltage directly.

regards
stancecoke

stancecoke said:
I had to improve the direction detection also, as it is quite tricky with the PAS-Signal of the modded torquesensor. I use a variable that is increased when foreward is detected and decreases when reverse is detected and is limited to the range of 0 ... 7. If the variable is bigger than 3, the flag for foreward turning pedals is set.
Great! If I need, I will borrow your code :)
Are you taking advantages on having the "full" PAS signal from the torque sensor? - I know you told about pedaling backwards and doing regen, are you using it?

@casainho - now I found that maybe the bugs I've reported were with the old fw. I wanted to test more today and I can't run it with THROTTLE_PAS

+ If I change more things in config and main to my needs, it fails to flash (as the first time I tried with tool.)

So maybe I didn't notice the flashing failed and was running old fw :?

Please can you add "timeout /t -1 /nobreak" to Start Compiling at github?

I have added it manually like 20 times already because if something fails I start with a fresh copy of the fw.

casainho said:
Are you taking advantages on having the "full" PAS signal from the torque sensor?

I had to do the mod, as the µC on the PCB of my torquesensor is defective. This µC normally processes the two PAS-hall quadrature signals and generates the PAS pulses at the yellow wire.
The µC caused a short circuit, so I had to remove it. Therefore I'm using the raw signal of just one PAS hall now :D
I'm not using regen with pedaling backwards.

honya96 said:
do they work same as yours after the PAS mod or they would need external PAS?

There are two versions. One version puts out two PAS-signals (quadrature) and you have to do the direction detection by yourself. The other version does the detection internally and puts out one PAS signal (speed) and one direction signal.... At aliexpress the desciption of the green and the yellow wire are reversed.
As long as you don't want to use backpadaling for regen, you don't have to modify anything....

index.php

regards
stancecoke

honya96 said:

I have added it manually like 20 times already because if something fails I start with a fresh copy of the fw.
Don't know what you mean. Please send the file with the changes.

honya96 said:
Even Stock 24fet with 4410's (180nC max per MOSFET) exists. I Have 6,12,18fet and the MOSFET drivers look the same, Gates are parallel.
Wow, that's insane. It can deal with 720nC. What gate drivers are being used? I wonder if one could swap them out for faster ones, thus reducing dead time when switching.

They are made of discrete components so you can improve them yourself

But I don't see a reason for that yet..

You can measure with oscilloscope if they are fast enough or not and then we can think about that :)

casainho said:
honya96 said:

Don't know what you mean. Please send the file with the changes.

I mean adding that line to Start_Compiling.bat so we can see if it worked or not.

I think that if I remove ASSIST_LEVEL_PAS_ONLY it doesn't flash and if I change from torque sensor to throttle PAS it flashes but doesn't run.. I am not sure.. it just didn't work today in general.

honya96 said:

I've added a "pause" command before "exit" in the master branch, I hope this works for you also.

regards
stancecoke

I just unmounted the S12S, but I don't know where I have to put the 4-pin header. There are 2 possible spots where it could fit: one has the name SOFT and the other one LIG. Which one is the correct one?

racingame said:
I just unmounted the S12S, but I don't know where I have to put the 4-pin header. There are 2 possible spots where it could fit: one has the name SOFT and the other one LIG. Which one is the correct one?
SOFT.

Does anyone know how the Hall sensor connector used in this Sunstar motor is called? I have to buy one to make an adapter for the Kunteng controller.

attachment.php

racingame said:
Does anyone know how the Hall sensor connector used in this Sunstar motor is called? I have to buy one to make an adapter for the Kunteng controller.

attachment.php

I don't know that one, just do your search..

Or you can replace them all with xh2.54 you can buy whole set for few bucks

Guys I've found ZFlasher AVR android app to work for flashing EEPROM of my charging power supply..

Isn't there an app which will enable us to have multiple settings/compiled fw copy's on phone and flash by OTG cable on road?

I've found STM8/32 Bluetooth flashloader, doesn't support our MC.

Edit: ZFlasher STM32 (only) exists, but doesn't recognize my programmer.

Offtopic - for Bluetooth communication (like original kunteng Bluetooth module) can we use SOFT pads, Or some other pins like those which lcd uses?

honya96 said:
racingame said:

attachment.php

I don't know that one, just do your search..

Or you can replace them all with xh2.54 you can buy whole set for few bucks
And how would you connect it to the hall sensor female on the motor?

index.php

honya96 said:
for Bluetooth communication (like original kunteng Bluetooth module) can we use SOFT pads, Or some other pins like those which lcd uses?

A guy from the german forum posted a photo with the wires from the Kunteng BT module connected to the PCB (Board revision KTE-6S3-D3c) but I don't know the µC-pins, the solder pads are connected to. :-(. But I would suggest to use a simple and cheap HM-10 BT-module and connect it to Rx and Tx of the display connector (like Lishui does). There are many code examples for this module available. I'm not very familiar with BLE-protocols, but the one the original Kunteng-Module uses, is different from the HM-10

index.php

regards
stancecoke

I connected phases, hall sensor and throttle to my motor but it spins only for half a second and it stops immediately. What could it be? I tryed all possible 9 combinations of the 3 phases cables.

Back