Can sticky threads be put in their own subforum?

I think some forums have way too many sticky threads; you have to scroll down to view the normal ones, which is usually the ones you care about. It would be nice if the stickies could be grouped up somehow and moved out of the way. Another option, but one that probably requires programming, is to have an account option that hides stickied threads that haven't been updated since the last time you read them.

CGameProgrammer said:
I think some forums have way too many sticky threads; you have to scroll down to view the normal ones, which is usually the ones you care about. It would be nice if the stickies could be grouped up somehow and moved out of the way. Another option, but one that probably requires programming, is to have an account option that hides stickied threads that haven't been updated since the last time you read them.
I think in the mean time, just moving some of the stickies out of the way is a good idea. The hiding stickies with account settings will take a little longer. :D

Actually I meant a subforum of each category just for stickies, at least temporarily to get them out of the way. So under "E-bike Technical" would be a "Stickied Threads" subforum. Probably a better idea is to make it a child of the root category: General, Electric Vehicles, Electric Bicycles, etc.

Another method is just one Sticky to point to all the stickes in the subforum. It reduces clutter and you have have 100 stickies at the top in the one stuck thread.

Actually that's probably the best idea as well as the simplest. So basically each forum has only one sticky thread, which contains links to the other previously-sticky threads (which would be unstickied).

i really just see one forum with more than a few stickies, ebike technical. They aren't really related threads either. Would hiding them cause more confusion?

except for the locked part, how is it any different from this?
particularly posts 4 & 11 which turns out was very forward thinking.
biglaugh.gif

might also serve as the home for the repository of a smilie superset.

In a way, that's what I had intended the technical reference forum to be.
When I get time (who knows?), the plan was to take an edited version of those stickies and put them in the reference section, which is locked. The original thread gets unstickied and floats to the bottom eventually.

personally i find the stickies annoying and think they should just be done away with altogether. it is becoming increasingly difficult to skim through the topics to see what has seen the latest interest. One central place for all the stickies would be my vote, or maybe just some segmentation delineating the start of the current topics with the stickies above it. of course it is just one vote among many.

bobmcree said:
it is becoming increasingly difficult to skim through the topics to see what has seen the latest interest.
Folks can use the "view active topics" link at the top of every page... It's much more efficient.

Code:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?search_id=active_topics

good idea, thanks. i don't know how much trouble it would be to insert a blank line or two between the stickies and the rest of the posts that would certainly help some of us. Sometimes i try to keep up on a small portable unit and it is difficult to tell the icons apart when they are so small.

Back