BOSS LEVEL CUSTOM SPOT WELDER

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-5000mah-3s-40c-lipo-pack-xt-90.html

I just wanted to add that I haven't had any issues with the welder I got. I've now made three 13s2p packs and haven't had a single problem with the welder.

Joku that lipo has a decent continuous C rate yet a tiny burst. The burst is the only thing that matters.
We need Big amps for thick strips.

Some tests, first tried it at 5.0ms, worked, then up to 7.0ms, can see positioning the electrodes evenly helps. Had a hard time prying the test strips off the blade with my pocket knife.
qAfxaDdp9h.JPG
t

rojitor said:
Joku that lipo has a decent continuous C rate yet a tiny burst. The burst is the only thing that matters.

Can you recommend a battery to me?

rojitor said:
Cool. You are taking off. Have a nice flight.

Thank you for your help, watching your videos was very helpful. Have now managed to assemble a 10s4p pack and am attempting to get the BMS hooked up correctly.

Joku said:
rojitor said:

Can you recommend a battery to me?
The more Ah and the more C the better. 3s 4000mAh+ and REAL 50c+ are fine. Hobbyking Graphene are a great choice.

Yes graphene has been reported to work fine.
I use nanotech, they are flawless.
The burst is the key. High burst and at least 4000 mah work fine as long as It is not overrated.

Graphene and nanotech have around 130C burstX4 ah= 520 amps pulses(in theory) the machine is rated for 880 amps. For good welds on thick strips i think we need at least 300 amps (in theory again)
The better the lipo the better the welds. That's for sure.

My electrodes collection
[youtube]Sq_8TXyzIzM[/youtube]

4s on nickel 0.2
[youtube]2pcDpbsIl-Q[/youtube]
Just tested 4s on 0.2 nickel. It's more difficult than 3s but perfectly doable. I recommend 3s for nickel, if you only have 4s adjust it slowly and you will make it (depending on your setup)

2l88as9.jpg

I did the test outdoors under the Sun so the settings can’t be seen easily.
I started from 4ms X2 Up to 9ms
I think 4-5 ms X2 is enough. Beyond 7ms is too deep with my setup. Notice that nickel on nickel might need higher flux. If you weld on the same spot that you used for the cell will be easier though

progrock said:
So Aulakiria said the IRFB7430's are really good FETs... just they aren't available where he is, which is why he used the IRF1404, so definitely giving them a try.

Hi,

How many FET,s do i need? Something went wrong today with my new welder after 200 welds or so. It blew a hole in my cell and i have fet error now. If i try to weld it works but there is no current send to the pen. Guess i,am the next guy with bad luck :(

The fet error message means:
Underpowered battery(is It full?)
Failure
Reload your lipo and check carefully the machine. Look for burnt traces. If the machine does not resume work mail lee. He Will tell you what to do.

rojitor said:
The fet error message means:
Underpowered battery(is It full?)
Failure
Reload your lipo and check carefully the machine. Look for burnt traces. If the machine does not resume work mail lee. He Will tell you what to do.

Lipo is full. Did you see the photo with burned cell head!? This did not happen because off a underpowered lipo i guess...
Nothing is burned only a little electric smell near the FET,s.
The machine work as it should now but no weld. It did not at firts. Now there is no FET error anymore but no weld...
I did contact Lee but i think it is a little late there now for him to anwser emails :) .

Oh i see the hole now. I have better light. Yes, you probably had a failure. Lee is sleeping now. Will wake Up in 4 hours or so.

I had some time today and an idea came across my mind. Coating frying pans and iron grills have been widely used on cooking for ages. The technique consists on burning the surface with a flame or a tiny layer of oil.
Fish and omelettes tend to stick like glue when cooking. That coating makes them slide easier.

qxks3t.jpg

I am testing this on copper strips for spot welding. When you apply a flame to the metal the oxygen burns but the CO2 does not (actually is used on fire extinguishers) so it creates a nano layer on the metal. That could be useful to prevent oxidation on the battery tabs.

2mrwoif.jpg

I performed the coating on a few tabs and tested welding and oxidation.
I have put a pure copper strip and a coated one in water+salt+vinegar+hidrogen peroxide to accelerate the rusting proccess.

1263gk0.jpg

The test could fail because CO2 can dissolve in water.

[youtube]qsIAKubSa_A[/youtube]

I welded a strip. No problem so far. What really really bothers me is the effect of the carbon coating on the conductivity of the strips. This method is by far cheaper and faster than electroplating but could be a waste of time if conductivity is compromised.
I'll check this week about the rust protection and conductivity.

Well i have been sick and didn't talk about It anymore. The experiment failed. The nanolayer of carbon dissolved in the water so i don't know how long It would protect in real life conditions the tabs.
It can be improved by applying more heat with the torch but since the tabs are so slim the metal would glow and burn very quick. No bueno. Mission failed.

2nqgtty.jpg

Left normal strip, right carbon strip

168bv68.jpg

The strip with the nano carbon layer rusted less but
Since It dissolved in water It could drop as well so i think It is not worth it
51br5i.jpg

Normal strip. Noticeable rusted.

Hi guys.

Awesome mini welder 117 battery pack build. Very good performance with this spot welder.

100% Recommended

[youtube]mmZdo-yNTZg[/youtube]

15s0n55.jpg

I did a welding pen and i taped it. I hope it helps people to do their own welding pens.

[youtube]hkQBYMse_DI[/youtube]

Rojitor, Did you just spotweld COPPER SHEET with that ???? :shock:
If so, what`s the thickness ????

I guess you didn't visit this thread for a long time. Yes i welded many copper batteries. That one is 0.1
I succeded welding 0.2 but it's too dangerous for both the machine and user.
0.1 is perfectly doable with the Boss welder.

Back