Everything you ever wanted to know about BionX...

Save this on your computer if you want to keep it...

----------------------------------------------------------------

OLD BIONX SYSTEM CONSOLE CONFIGURATION GUIDE.

Table of Contents

1. DOCUMENT CONTENTS AND FIRMWARE REQUIREMENTS...............2
2. HOW TO ENTER A PARTICULAR CODE............................3
3. EPS1 – CONFIGURATION MENU (3771)..........................4
7. EPS2 – DIAGNOSTIC MODE (3772).............................6
8. EPS9 – REMAINING TIME & DISTANCE (3779)...................7
9. IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT SPEED LIMIT........................8
10. HOW TO CONTACT BIONX TEAM................................8

1. Document contents and firmware requirements

This document contains procedures and information that gives access to all
configurable parameters and hidden options of the BionX system. It is intended to the bike shop and BionX installation technicians.

This paper covers the console firmware revision #12 and higher. All the previous firmware revisions do not include all the functions mentioned in this document and/or the menu structure can be different.

If you own a system with older firmware, we recommend you to call EPS to get assistance as needed. However, it is also possible to upgrade the firmware on all BionX systems. (It is important to remember that the system performance is the same regardless of the firmware versions.)

2. How to enter a particular code

All following sections of this document use 4 digit codes. Whatever the user wants to access the configuration menu (3771), diagnostic screen (3772) or remaining variables (3779) the same method must be used:

1. Turn the system ON.

2. Hold down both ‘CHRONO’ and ‘MODE’ buttons at the same time until the
screen change to four zero (It takes about 2 seconds)

3. Using ‘A’ to increase the digit value and ‘G’ to decrease value, enter the first digit.

4. Push ‘MODE’ once to advance to the next digit.

5. Repeat step #3 and #4 for all remaining digits.
* If an invalid code is entered, the display will simply return to the normal display layout.

3. EPS1 – Configuration menu (3771)

The EPS1 menu gives access to the following parameters:

• Program the rear wheel circumference. (Millimetres)
• Select between imperial (mph) or metric (km/h) units.
• Configure the speed limit value and enabled/disabled status.
• Program the brake (regenerative) strength value.
• And finally view the console firmware version. (Nothing to configure here)

Here are the steps to navigate through EPS1 menu:

1. Enter the EPS1 code (3771) by following section #2 instructions.

2. If the 3771 code is correctly entered, you will see four digits that represent the actual wheel circumference in millimetres. If the user wants to keep the old circumference value, the same digits must overwrite the old ones. If a new wheel circumference has to be programmed, enter the new value. Use the following table to convert wheel diameters in inches to circumference in mm.

CONVERTION TABLE FOR THE EPS BionX WHEEL CIRCUMFERENCE PROGRAMMING (code # 3771)

Wheel diameter

Corresponding circumference (mm)

18'' = 1436 ; 20'' = 1596 22'' = 1756 24'' = 1915
26'' = 2075 27'' = 2156 700mm = 2199 28’’ = 2234

mm = 79.8 * Diameter

3. The next configuration screen is the unit configuration. Either ‘A’ or ‘G’ can be pushed to switch from imperial to metric:
• will select metric unit (kilometres)
• will configure the bike to imperial system (miles)

Push ‘MODE’ button when done to advance to the next configuration screen.

4. The third screen is used to configure the speed limit.

• Two parameters can be configured regarding the speed limit process:
Activation or not of the function and the limit level in km/h.
i. Pushing the chrono button will switch between the two
parameters.
ii. Use ‘A’ and ‘G’ to configure the speed threshold value or the
function state (0=no speed limit, 1=speed limit enabled)

5. The fourth menu is used to configure the braking generation level when the rear brake is applied. Use ‘A’ and ‘G’ to set the desired value. The configurable range is from 5 to 64. 64 will generate maximum breaking power while choosing a lower value will produce less regeneration breaking.

6. The final EPS1 screen shows the console firmware version. Nothing can be configured here. The image below shows firmware rev#12.

7. EPS2 – Diagnostic mode (3772)

Follow second section instructions to enter the EPS2 code. Screen will switch to a special ‘diagnostic’ mode where it is possible to monitor some important signals:

• Strain gage sensor value: (Cyclist effort sensor) when the cyclist push on the pedals, this signal will raise proportionally to the force applied.
• Battery voltage: Indicate the NIMH battery voltage in volt.
• Monitor the motor command: While the bike is operated, the assistance or generation level will appear on the two upper-left digits. Again, the values range if 0-64.

There is two ways to exit the special diagnostic display mode:

• Simply turn the system off. Next power ON will display normal layout.
• Re-enter the 3772 code will toggle display to normal layout.

8. EPS9 – Remaining time & Distance (3779)

BionX development team is always improving the product reliability and
performance. One of the latest add-in on the system firmware is the possibility to be informed about the remaining time and distance at any time, based on the last 10-20 seconds of bike utilisation history. This function being relatively new and presently under beta testing phase, is not available by default on a brand new system. However, BionX gives the possibility to access this feature for the users who wants to experience it.

Once again firmware revision #12 and more are a requirement to access the new variables. By entering a special unlock code, the users will have access to two more display variables:

• Remaining time:
As the user cycle to all different variables by pushing ‘chrono’ button, the prefix ‘Tr’ will appear. Tr stand for ‘Time Remaining’ (or Temps Restant in French). The unit is in hour with tenth of hour precision. The following example shows a remaining time of 4 hour 30 minutes.

• Remaining distance:
The variable name prefix is ‘dr’ (distance remaining, or distance
restante in french) and the value are in kilometres (or in miles if console
configured to imperial units). The following examples show a remaining
distance of 168 kilometres.

The procedure to unlock the feature is simply to enter the EPS9 code (3779) as mentioned into the second section of this document. The function becomes instantly accessible. Recycling the power is recommended after enabling the function. If the user wants to disable the function, it can be toggled ON and OFF by entering the same code again.

Since both variables require microcontroller processing time and multiples
operations, under certain conditions, one or both variable cannot be predicted. Per example, if the bike is stopped and the speed is null, remaining distance cannot be processed. Another case could be if the user use the regenerating brake for more than a few seconds, the remaining time would be infinite. In those particular cases, the value of either variable is replaced by three dash character (---). The picture below display an incalculable remaining distance:

9. Important notice about speed limit

Almost all BionX kits that have been released today are running firmware #12 and later. Regardless of the country, the laws are very strict regarding any electric bicycle speed limitation. Even if this guide give the user the possibility to configure or even remove the speed limit algorithm, EPS will not be responsible for any accidents or wounds that could results of an improper or non legal speed limit configuration.

All the bicycle kits sold from EPS are already configured to offer the maximum legal permissible speed for each corresponding countries. The limits are the following:

- America: 32 km/h or 20 mph
- Europe: 25 km/hr or 15.5 mph

All future firmware releases from EPS will avoid the user to play with the speed limit parameters.

--------------------------------------------------------------

NEW BIONX SYSTEM CONSOLE CONFIGURATION GUIDE

To enter the access section you push on MODE and CHRONO in same time.

2001: KM or Miles
2002: Generative Breaking
2003: Time last with the battery
2004: Clock
2005: Wheel size
2006: Programming brake sensor
2007: Polarity throttle (0-5volt or 5-0volt)

3771: wheel size
3772: diagnostic mode
3773: max speed
3775: throttle max speed
3776: Speed that motor will start
5000: Full reset
1976: motor direction
1234: sensor speed signal; 1= slow 5= fast
1970: Configuration activation backlight ad DCDC automatic
0007: Sensor signal gain, 0.1 to 4.0
0008: Configuration of extra assistance 1.0 to 4.0
0041: activation of the I2C

Error Code
SMC_ERROR_VCTRL 20
SMC_ERROR_VPRCH 21
SMC_ERROR_RELAY 22
SMC_ERROR_BMS 23

What they don't tell you: The plastic controll on the handle bar can get eaisly broken in a bike rack or the bike just falling down. The replacement is $900.In that case this might be a OPTION ? and save a few hundred.
Also the lithium packs of theres ARE failing right at the begining.

Attachments

• Sevcon Milipak Controller.jpg
    Sevcon Milipak Controller.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25,953
Thanks for posting the BionX hacking information. That's the kind of stuff we love here :twisted:

Any suggested parameter tweaks?

Why not program for a 20" inch wheel (actually you have 26" wheel) and even though the speedometer reads 20mph max, it would actually be higher due to bigger diameter of the wheel > 23 mph or so. This seems like a simple hack, so I imagine they have a safeguard against it in some way.

Not everything is here.

In firmware rev 2.3 I noticed there's a 3774 menu. It shows PR and the regen logo. The only setting is on or off. I have no idea what this does.

Something else I'd like to know which is not shown here. I did a code 5000 (full reset) on my PL350 and now the thumb throttle doesn't work. How do you re-enable it?

Do you REALLY want to know everything about Bionx?

The best place to start is right here: http://bionx.ca/shared

Get the documents and download them before they figure out their mistake. The procedure to enable the thumb throttle is there as well as other very useful documents.

And the actual document (.PDF) that the first post relates to is there as well, in color with console pictures and so on.

Enjoy!

Instant Karma said:
Why not program for a 20" inch wheel (actually you have 26" wheel) and even though the speedometer reads 20mph max, it would actually be higher due to bigger diameter of the wheel > 23 mph or so. This seems like a simple hack, so I imagine they have a safeguard against it in some way.

Nah, That won't work right. You'll get wrong numbers on the display and you really won't go any faster.

The Best is to change menu #3773 and #3775, if you have a thumb throttle, and either disable the max speed or pump the numbers up a bit.

Another recommended setting, if you have a thumb throttle, is to turn off #3776. This will allow the thumb throttle to engage from a dead stop.

I also maxed out #0008 settings for better assistance and I set #1234 to 4 for better response.

I turn on #3779 as well. It just adds 2 more modes to the normal "chrono" display which can be useful if you want to see how much longer and how much further you can go (estimate).

I also maxed out #2006. When I use the regen brake (with the mag switch) I want it to brake as much as possible.

eBikeMaui,

Just curious where you get the $900 price for a new command console. At JVBike they sell them for $147 (Canadian). Here's the link-

http://www.jvbike.com/BionX_Options.htm

And according to Bionx's own documents (see link I previous post), they're MSRP $147 USD as well.

PS: Dealer cost is $100... just in case you want to negotiate. ;)

Copy this from visforvoltage.org http://visforvoltage.org/forum/2253-bionx-limn-battery

Re: Bionx LiMn battery
Submitted by sandorszabo on Tue, 10/30/2007 - 19:29.

Well my dealer - Amlings Cycle & Fitness - came through in spades:

Hi Mike,
According to the folks at Bionx they have never sold any batteries other than the LiMn. I put that question to them directly. If you have a source that says otherwise I'd sure like to see it.

As far as the battery reading goes, we had the same issue with our floor unit. There is a process to reset the controller to get an accurate reading. I can do that for you here if you want to stop by with a fully charged battery, or you can follow the steps below to reset it yourself.

Step 1) Charge the battery

Step 2) Let it cool down for 1 hour.

Ste 3) Check voltage with code 3772 (See console code from the attached)

Step 4) If the battery 36V LiMn is showing 41.0 and more, the battery is fully charge

Step 5) If the battery is fully charge push on mode for 20 sec, that will force the gauge to show full.

I did this with our floor unit and now it works fine. Kinda like resetting the microwave clock when the power goes out. Actually not like that at all, but I can't think of a good analogy.
Let me know what you'd like to do.

Have a great day!

Joe Reichert

Console Programming
Display
• Turn on the system ( “mode” button )
• Simultaneously press on the « chrono » and
« mode » buttons for 2 seconds
• Enter the desired console code.
N.B. To change a digit, use the “A+” and “G-
“buttons.
To accept a digit and go to the next one,
press the “mode” button.

• Once you are done with your
programming, simply press « mode » to
go to the original display, then turn
the system off to save the changes.

It works. Also glad to know you don't need a multitester to verify current battery charge.

Did it and it does work. Battery guage now shows full.

Just buy a new bionx pl350 kit. Anyone know if i can remove the speed limiter or its over now?

Thanks a lot!

patatewz said:
I try it and i can'T pass 32 km/h...

So maybe i need to change other settings?

Are you displacing a lot of frontal area?

If you sit upright, have side panniers and are fat, chances are you might be dealing with wind resistance. Wind becomes an issue past 25km/h. Just saying,

Hi!

I´m from germany and i´m new in this forum.

I guess that Bionx have enabled the 3773 code.
They announced that in the future it won´t be possible to play with the speed parameters anymore and now i guess this has come true...
A member In a german forum wrote that everytime he enters the 3773 code the display of the console shows
"max speed 25 km/h"...! He can´t change this setting.
So what else can we do to make the system a bit faster?

My theory is that a motor in a smaller rim has to rotate faster to reach the programmed legal max speed
( in europe 25 km/h, in canada or usa 32/30 km/H) than a motor in a taller rim.

So, if i take the motor out of a small 20"rim and respoke it into a 26"rim the result should be a approximatly 25% higher topspeed combined with 25% less torq.This would be sufficient for me.

What do you think about that?

Ok i think i got problem with the wind. I help me over 32 kmh so the speed limiter is off.

when i run the 3772 diagnostic code i receive the voltage and the err 27.

What mean err 27 ?

Thanks a lot.

I love my bionx. Do you think i can past the 36v to a 48v?

Thanks for the codes. I have a new 250 with the updated firmware. Took it out for the inaugural ride on my Kona and hit the speed limit pretty quickly (32 km/h is easy to reach on a regular bike on level ground). Came back, used the bypass you supplied, then loaded my rack and panniers, tribars on and went back out. Was able to hold 30 km/h pretty constantly, with up to 42 km/h on moderate downhill grades. I just use the regen for braking and prefer speed on the downgrades. Thanks, this is just what I expected. The key seems to be maintaining a good cadence just like regular cycling.

I tried the 0008 code on my Bion-X 350 PL.
What got was a KPH number (I think default was 10 or 11kph) and then a % number.
Does anyone know what these numbers represent?
Thanks!

One thing I would like to know is

Will this kit work without Pedal Assist?

In other words can run it 100% all motor?

Yep it will run throttle (motor)-only. But I wouldn't bet on it climbing a very steep hill all on it's own. I'm talking about the 350W. I have two of them. But on a flat road with 170 lbs passenger with about 15 lbs in my backpack, I got it up to 21mph using throttle alone. Oh and I've disabled the speed limiter.

Microbatman said:
One thing I would like to know is...Will this kit work without Pedal Assist?
In other words can run it 100% all motor?

Yes, the Bionx kit definately will run throttle only.

Has anyone tried setting the wheel size at <tire size>/1.6= and then setting it into kph? Then your BIONX will think it's travelling at 32kmph but actually you'll be travelling at 32mph. I've heard that this works, maybe on this very thread. Only way Bionx could stop this is to restrict freedom in setting tire sizes, and I can't imagine that they'll do that.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and so is my BionX PL350. I don't really understand how the code 0008 works. Then I've read the post of Zeuser:

"Do you REALLY want to know everything about Bionx?

The best place to start is right here: http://bionx.ca/shared "

Of course, the link is now forbidden, but I was wandering if anybody (Zeuser?) did a download of the document at that link. If yes, it would be very nice if I could also have a copy of it. Perhaps it will help me to understand more of how the BionX codes are working.

Thank you very much in advance!
Alex

0007 : Sensor sensitivity: Set to 3.0 or less if you get too much "on/off"
0008 : Extra assistance: Set "A" to 4.0, Set "B" to 3.0 (when it kicks in)
3773 : Max speed (assist), set to OFF (0)
3775 : Max speed (throttle) , set to OFF (0)
3776 : Speed motor will start, set to LOW (1)
2006 : Brake sensor, set to ON

1234 : Sensor speed signal , set to 3
1970 : Configuration backlight. Set to OFF
1976 : Motor direction. Set to 1 (forward)
2001 : Set to km/h
2002 : Generative braking, set to max (64)
2003 : Activate battery remain display (toggle)
2004 : Set the clock to current time
2005 : Set wheel size to 2075
2007 : Polarity throttle, set to 0
3771 : Set wheel size to 2075
3774 : PR ? set to ON
3779 : Time and Distance remaining display, activate if not active already.

Menu code 5000 to reset console
Menu code 3772 to set console to diagnostic mode
Menu code 0041 to activate 12C. Unknown setting

Press and hold Mode for 5 cycles of backlight toggles to reset battery. Will beep rapidly when reset.
Hold Mode button 2 seconds for backlight Press Chrono and +A or -G to set display contrast
Press Chrono to select display type. Hold Chrono 2 seconds to reset data
Press and hold Mode and +A to arm alarm

With 0007: 1.0 is too low and the controller often doesn't detect the cyclist pedaling.
Set to 3.0 allows detection of cyclist earlier and more sensitivity to changes in cyclist torque output.

Diag mode (menu 3772) allowed me to find that the "B" option on menu 0008 is best to be set to 1.0 rather than 25. This is the speed where extra assistance kicks in. If this is the case, it's probably better to have it kick in at a lower speed. The assist power (upper left digits in diagnostic mode) were higher with the 1.0 value and seemed to climb faster from a complete stop.

#3779 adds 2 more modes to the normal "chrono" display which can be useful if you want to see how much longer and how much further you can go (estimate).

Maxed out #2006. When I use the regen brake (with the mag switch) I want it to brake as much as possible.

Axle bolts must be between 40 and 50 Newton Meters tight.

Back