Forum upgraded and new emoticons

+1 on bringing back the unread icons, it's infuriating enough that I hunted down this thread to complain. It takes me directly to the first unread post of any thread which is a fairly essential feature...

Ahh... with the removal of that icon, you are still left with 3 options to get close to, or exactly to the last post.

2018-10-29-14_06_11-(20)-Endless-Sphere---Your-posts.png

I think it would help greatly to make that link to the right a little bit bigger and more obvious. I didn't even notice what it was for until i hovered over it.

Since enough of you are bothered by it, i will put the full functionality theme up for 'yall and provide instructions on how to switch to it.

Oh, i think i have a good idea that will be nicer than the stock look.
Here is a sloppy and fast mockup.

proposed-edit.png

So there's this little icon of windows that literally looks the same whether posts are unread or not.
Wouldn't it be a lot more convenient to have the ability to jump to the last post right after the sub-listing of pages?
I'm using the fast forward icon as an indicator that it 'goes to the end of the tape'.

Would this be a happy middle ground? seems like a better option than dividing the older look and new look into two branches.

Just realized that phpbb already has an icon and this functionality in other areas.

I can just reuse that, but make it the common blue tone so it stands out.

neptronix said:
Wouldn't it be a lot more convenient to have the ability to jump to the last post right after the sub-listing of pages?
AFAICT, it's not the "last post" that people want to get to. It's the first unread post they're after.

That's definitely what *I* want, but I've still got the red last-unread icon in the SE Square Left style I have to use; and it's on the left where I want it to be. Then there's the "last post" icon at the right side, for those times I want that (a fair bit, but not nearly as often as the "last unread").

Amberwolf; scroll up a bit and look at my picture.
There's a big red icon on the left that goes to the last unread post. The smaller icon that shows the red folder icon is redundant.

A look at the HTML shows that the bigger icon's little buddy is going to the same place.

neptronix said:
Amberwolf; scroll up a bit and look at my picture.
There's a big red icon on the left that goes to the last unread post. The smaller icon that shows the red folder icon is redundant.
I don't have the big round icon with red lines in it, just the red "page with folded corner" in about the same place.

(note that I'm using adblockplus to nuke many graphics that make the page less useful and more crowded and confusing, so that's why I don't have the big one that wastes space, just the small one that is useful).

I wish *all* the graphics on the page were actual images, so I could block all the ones I don't want, but many are some sort of locally-rendered graphic, which I can't remove from the page display.

(they used to be in the previous forum version, which in addition to being able to easily remove things I didn't want or use, it that was much more friendly to zooming, because it didn't scale anything except text. The new one scales everything including the spaces between things and everyhing else, which makes it harder to use and read)

Sorry; I cannot cater to any client-based customization.
The icon will be there for those who aren't using ad block plus modifications and it serves the purpose you wanted.
It is better for the small icon to go than the large one anyway.

Even the base prosilver theme has been heavily modified versus the 3.0.x version so that the site actually works on mobile devices, which will affect zooming. But there is no turning back to the 2008-era design at this point.

If you want to use that theme, go for it. se_square_left is a good alternative to maintain the older look too.

So anyway, i haven't received any input on this proposition so i'm going to make it happen on the main theme during the next weekend round:

file.php

izeman said:
Thanks for the update. Just wanted to confirm that Tapatalk works great again. :thumb:

You're welcome sir!

Back