E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

You got to love the way Texas treats eBikes. When I got downtown to the Trump rally, the police had set up barricades to block traffic. Since to whole street was blocked, I rode past the barricades on the wrong side of the street, and rode a block further to more barricades. There were at least 50 police officers less than 20 yards away, and hundreds more in the area, and no one said a word to me. The next barricade separated the outer part of the crowd from the even bigger inner sanctum crowd watching the Jumbotron outside the American Airlines center. When I got close to the inner barricade I stopped short of it, to contemplate how the police might feel about me riding a 24ah potential bomb into the heart of thousands of people. It didn't take long to figure it out, because an attractive lady officer smiled, and waved me in almost right away, and just like that I was in deep, Stealth and all.

My cloking streamers are the best.

Some more "quality" from stealth.
My aluminium side plates have become unbonded from the steel parts.
The "carbon fibre" wrap is shit and I refuse to do all the work of removing the side plates and their aluminium innards, cleaning them up and then wrapping them in more cheap crap.

Hence ordered a couple of pieces of 1mm carbon from aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20191018180722&SearchText=carbon+look+plate+400x150&switch_new_app=y

For the $50 AUD they cost, i cant even hope to lay up, vac bag, cure and end up with this result.
Only hard part will be trimming them to size when they get here in a month.

next question and i've read hundreads of pages and done as many searches as I can manage.
will this work?
https://www.cyclestation.com.au/dicta-bmx-freewheel-clutch-pro-14t-x-3-32-chrome?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtOdt8Cn5QIVApKPCh0NCQinEAQYASABEgJ00PD_BwE

Alternatively
White Knight - I've searched high and low for your 25T front chainring with no joy.
i'll buy one and the rear and do your chain mod if you can point me in the right direction

Cheers Karl

spoke too soon, set the CAv3 limit to 6500W 75A max battery current - As per Allex's previous post, "doesnt matter the upper limit"....perhaps it does with 22S as i got about 4-5kms from home (had been almost flat bikkie for that distance) and something got hot, some erroneous readings from the CA, low batt voltages. Not sure if it was the BMS or the controller. Parked on the side of the road for 10 mins or so before the fault remedied itself....

Dialled it back to 6000W max on the CA again and will do the same run tomorrow- see if its a BMS issue or controller.

Has anyone beefed up the wiring to the stock controller (and from there to the hub) and pulled the stock controller apart to beef up traces etc?

I cant help but think it has heaps of grunt but 60-85kmh overtaking punch could be better :eek:

Cheers Karl

KarlJ said:
The "carbon fibre" wrap is shit and I refuse to do all the work of removing the side plates and their aluminium innards, cleaning them up and then wrapping them in more cheap crap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20191018180722&SearchText=carbon+look+plate+400x150&switch_new_app=y

For the $50 AUD they cost, i cant even hope to lay up, vac bag, cure and end up with this result.

The steel side plates act as a load bearing structural member of the frame. I think it would be a bad idea to replace them with a sheet of carbon fiber, unless you're talking about gluing it to the side plates in place of the aluminum pieces.

KarlJ said:

The glue they used is crapola... Mine separated too. I used a crazy strong locktite 2 part metal bonding adhesive and painted them. The carbon sticker on mine was between the steel and the aluminum which made it even weaker so I feel ya!...

KarlJ said:

So are you going to custom cut and use the CF plates as the insert to the cromolly panels?

Yep that’s the plan, cut to size of hole and glue on the inside with epoxy.
Steel / chromolly will retain the structural component
Of the side piece give me the factory appearance without the only bond of self adhesive on the stick on “carbon fibre”.
Cuts ok with Dremel and diamond wheel (tile cutting disc.
Sands up fine with normal wet and dry sandpaper or a flap wheel.

KarlJ said:
Yep that’s the plan, cut to size of hole and glue on the inside with epoxy.
Steel / chromolly will retain the structural component
Of the side piece give me the factory appearance without the only bond of self adhesive on the stick on “carbon fibre”.
Cuts ok with Dremel and diamond wheel (tile cutting disc.
Sands up fine with normal wet and dry sandpaper or a flap wheel.

I only ask because I plan on doing the same thing to my Bomber #143 in the near future. Its 8 years old and is need of a face lift after so many years of dedicated service. Post up your results, I look forward to seeing your finished product.

I'm still experimenting with adjustments to my shock. It seems like the more I adjust the rebound damping toward fast, the smoother it rides, especially at higher speeds.

It will feel like that till the wheel comes off the ground....since your a street only rider you’ll most probably never notice adverse reactions. Too much rebound will not control (slow down!) the swing arm extension which will cause your rear end to pogo on whoop sections. You always want to keep some for an oh shit moment....that is a lot of weight hanging off there and you want to slightly slow it down in a bad situation....going over the handle bars is NEVER fun.

Tom

Theodore Voltaire said:
I'm still experimenting with adjustments to my shock. It seems like the more I adjust the rebound damping toward fast, the smoother it rides, especially at higher speeds.

This is normal and it will feel smoother as your shock returns quicker and spends less time in the compression stroke, which is where things get progressively stiffer. The reason the offroad guys run a slower rebound setting on hub motor bikes is because of the un-suspended mass. When our bikes launch off a woop or a jump, the the suspension compresses. With the hub motor and lots of unsuspended mass, when the bike is in the air, and the suspension starts to extend after compression, the heavy mass of the hub motor tends to push the bike to extend upwards instead of the wheel going down wards. Thats why slowing down the rebound for off road purposes is crucial for good handling. This does not apply to pavement riding and you might as well run your shock with the rebound backed all the way out (fast).

Rix said:
With the hub motor and lots of unsuspended mass, when the bike is in the air, and the suspension starts to extend after compression, the heavy mass of the hub motor tends to push the bike to extend upwards instead of the wheel going down wards. Thats why slowing down the rebound for off road purposes is crucial for good handling. This does not apply to pavement riding and you might as well run your shock with the rebound backed all the way out (fast).

Yes that makes sense Rix. That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Thanks for splainin.

Anybody switch over to an ASI controllers on a Bomber yet? Supposedly the smoothness, responsiveness and up to 200% field weakening are incredible.

https://accelerated-systems-inc.myshopify.com/collections/evaluation-kit/products/4000w-high-power-brushless-ac-motor-controller-evaluation-kit-with-can-bluetooth

john61ct said:
How do you get them programmed to suit your rig?

You use your phone via bluetooth. Each unit comes with a 1 hour Go To Meeting with a dev engineer for setup, tuning and optimizations. .

looks like a solid "AVOID" to me https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=96264&start=100
Im interested in a new sinewave controller ~80A which will run a 22S battery, something like the new stealth one would be AOK for me. Has anyone priced one up?

I think my cutout problem may be due to the >90V, I've been charging typically to under this but couple of times to 91.5V which is bad even though the first twist of the throttle has it well under that again....

Nothing worse than reliability issues :oops:

K

KarlJ said:
looks like a solid "AVOID" to me https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=96264&start=100
Im interested in a new sinewave controller ~80A which will run a 22S battery, something like the new stealth one would be AOK for me. Has anyone priced one up?

I think my cutout problem may be due to the >90V, I've been charging typically to under this but couple of times to 91.5V which is bad even though the first twist of the throttle has it well under that again....

K

High performance is always a slipery slope. When you increase performance in one area, the next weakest area often rears it's ugly head. That's why I ended up with a $20,000 Sportster motor.

KarlJ said:

K
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75494

KarlJ said:

K

Sorry was there something in the thread that somehow an indictment against the controller ?
Sounded more like people bitching about ERT.

Theodore Voltaire said:
KarlJ said:

K

High performance is always a slipery slope. When you increase performance in one area, the next weakest area often rears it's ugly head. That's why I ended up with a $20,000 Sportster motor.

You spent $20K on a motor for your wife's bike? Cool.

Hi folks
Question...are there any other owners of the current model bomber (96v & UFO motor) experiencing repeated controller and less frequent DC1 failures?
Cheers

CJonaBttlrckt said:
Hi folks
Question...are there any other owners of the current model bomber (96v & UFO motor) experiencing repeated controller and less frequent DC1 failures?
Cheers

Tell us what you got going on?

Rix said:
CJonaBttlrckt said:
Hi folks
Cheers

Tell us what you got going on?

Hi Rix and all,
On my recommendation, early last year my friend picked up a new bomber, coincidentally one of the first with the UFO motor.
It's a very fast bike..too fast I'd argue and I do wonder why stealth seem to go for speed over torque...anyway, that's an aside!

The bike is now on its fifth or sixth controller, including two sine wave controllers, and its second or third DC1.

Typically in two to four months it seems to cook the controllers and who knows what it's doing to the DC1.

After the first few normal replacement controllers stopped working, stealth sent two sine wave controllers.
The first sine wave just stopped working, saying 'cannot connect throttle' and the last sine is now overheating too quickly.
The replacement normal controller for this overheating sine wave controller overheats in minutes and is un-rideable, so he is planning to go back to the overheating sine wave so he can at least ride it for now!

I have been reluctant to post about this previously thinking stealth would fix and also I thought if there was someone else having the same problem, they would post about it.

My friend is otherwise very happy with the bike...though he is at times ready to ride it off a cliff!

Incidentally, at the same time another friend also picked up a fighter and it has been generally trouble free!

Cheers

Back