E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

Hello LMX64 Owners,
I'm tempted to buy a LMX64.
I'm from Heidelberg Germany (Baden-Württemberg).
Is there anyone near me (within maybe 250km) who ownes a 64?
Before I buy, I would like to know how it sounds, how it drives and if the geometry and suspension suits me.
LMX factory is far to drive, maybe I can visit someone a bit closer to me.
Wouldd be happy about a message here or a pm.

Ich kann dir nur Heddesheim anbieten und ein LMX161
der nächste wäre wohl Österreich. Deutschland wüsste ich sonst keinen. Leise ist wohl anders wie man hier schon lesen konnte. Es ist das stärkste aber auch lauteste "Ebike" was noch nach MTB aussieht.

Merlin said:
Ich kann dir nur Heddesheim anbieten und ein LMX161
der nächste wäre wohl Österreich. Deutschland wüsste ich sonst keinen. Leise ist wohl anders wie man hier schon lesen konnte. Es ist das stärkste aber auch lauteste "Ebike" was noch nach MTB aussieht.

Translation:

I have the LMX 161. It kicks ass! :bigthumb:

denso said:
Before I buy, I would like to know how it sounds, how it drives and if the geometry and suspension suits me.
It sounds awful, drives great and geometry and suspension are OK.
And yes, you definitely want to drive it before you buy. I didn`t and probably will sell it if some kind of silencer will not be released till summer. Now it just hurts my ears.

I'm close to finishing off my battery...hopefully this weekend. :)
DSC_5653.JPGDSC_5669.JPG
DSC_5670.JPGDSC_5692.JPG
DSC_5693.JPGDSC_5699.JPG
DSC_5701.JPG

Once I'm done the battery I can start testing out the difference my 3D printed sprocket cover makes. I'm hopeful it will help a lot.

That being said, a few test runs around the place and the noise isn't so bad that I will be selling mine any time soon. I can live with it if I have to...but I don't. I will keep trying things until I get it quiet enough to bear.
I suspect that even if I get the front motor sprocket quiet, the next loudest part will be the rollers. Then I will just design and 3D print a cover for those. :D

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
I'm close to finishing off my battery...hopefully this weekend. :)

Nice! I have not used BMS too, just 2 7S balance leads outside.

IMG-20191018-155725.jpg

Once I'm done the battery I can start testing out the difference my 3D printed sprocket cover makes. I'm hopeful it will help a lot.
I really hope you will succeed. Fingers crossed.

Still got a few things to finish off, but it's rideable now. :D
Took it for a quick spin up a local hill as the sun was setting.
DSC_5707.JPG
DSC_5713.JPG
Glad I installed a light!

The bike rides great, I'm really liking it. With a full face helmet on the sound isn't too bad.

My battery hit about 53C at it's highest, which is reaching the point I should back off. That was after a lot of 2.5Kw draw on some big hills that would normally have caused my Fighters hub motor to overheat. So the LMX certainly has one up on the hub motors for hill climbing! :)

Hopefully I can get in a ride video before Christmas.

Cheers

if you are in Melbourne, wouldn't mind seeing it up close some time
Thanks
JB

By the way, the LMX 64 frame and electronics passed mechanical loading and EMC testing for L1E-B :thumb:
On our way for homologation, we have preorders open for the 45km/h version of this bike.

screenshot-mail.google.com-2019.10.21-13_02_45.pngIMG_20191022_092126.jpg

bzhwindtalker said:
By the way, the LMX 64 frame and electronics passed mechanical loading and EMC testing for L1E-B :thumb:
On our way for homologation, we have preorders open for the 45km/h version of this bike.

THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!

Nice article from Ron about the LMX64.
https://www.electricbike.com/the-lmx64-a-powerful-freeride-e-mtb-from-france/
I like the attention given to the separated left hand drive train for the motor. This is what really sets the LMX apart from everything else.

I didn't mention this yet but, last week when I took my LMX 64 for it's first 'proper' ride up a local mountain, I got about 3/4 of the way there and my pedalling chain broke. I had failed to install the connecting pin correctly and it just fell off. I had no tools with me so I could not repair it.

But because the motor drive line is separated, it didn't matter and I was able to throttle back home without any issues. 8)

Yes the same applies to hub motors, but no other mid drive bikes would have been able to do that.

Lovin it!

Cheers

I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear but I think the bike needs a belt primary to allow for less reduction via chain so that a longer pitch can be used. 219 just doesn't seem to run quiet no matter what.

My observation from looking at a lot of drives using small pitch chains.

I’m assuming it’s coming from the rollers, the chain is changing angles a couple of times, is this necessary ? Perhaps just install a derailleur on the back and remove the rollers ?

Grantmac said:
I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear but I think the bike needs a belt primary to allow for less reduction via chain so that a longer pitch can be used. 219 just doesn't seem to run quiet no matter what.

My observation from looking at a lot of drives using small pitch chains.
Yep. Belt is the definite solution and if it was possible to install one after the fact I would do so in a heart beat. Unfortunately we've gotta work with what we've got now.

jbalat said:
I’m assuming it’s coming from the rollers, the chain is changing angles a couple of times, is this necessary ? Perhaps just install a derailleur on the back and remove the rollers ?
Ummm, derailleur for a go-kart chain? Never seen one of those before. Got a link?

I think I will move onto designing/3D printing a cover for the rollers next. Hopefully the assumption that's where a lot of noise comes from is correct.

I've also got some further tweaks to do on the main sproket cover that will further isolate any noise coming from it. I think a lot of noise is still escaping out the back where the chain enters the cover so the design changes focus on extending the housing around the chain to further contain that noise.

Cheers

Oset trial bikes have chain tensioners..
And you get plenty of motorcycle chain temsioir on Ali.

Noise comes from the from sprocket (95%)

The only solution is rubber o-rings to prevent chain hitting the sprocket with every link.

Lmx is selling sprockets with o-rings... But one isn't enough... After one battery cycle it's toast.

What really works is 2 rings. One each side.
You need some lathe work for it.

(it's not from me, I haven't the tools to do) :/

I'm talking about going with two stages of reduction, the first being a belt and second being chain. I'm not a far of belts to the rear wheel on offroad bikes.
I don't see how you could get away from the chain rollers with the current configuration and I don't think they are a significant source of noise, that's the low tooth count short pitch front sprocket.

bzhwindtalker said:

Congrates! :thumb:
Did the Nucular controller pass the tests as it comes, or was it necessary to do modifications like as using shilded wires for CAN connection or to throttle sensors etc?

latest lmx have no nucular anymore.

12T vs 14T is very little in noise diff. someone who is not riding the bike "daily" will not hear a difference.
Iam not a noise engineer but maybe 14T comes only subjective less noisy because it spins less for same speed.

On Higher Speeds Wind noise comes also in Play....very Hard to say whats a real World difference.

Back