Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Thats great! Less extra stuff to worry about.

This controller seems like a good match to the QS motor it's bundled with and there seems to be bunch of people using it.
Have any of you found shortcomings with it? Are there any known pitfalls I should be aware of before I buy it?

To be honest :oops: I haven't really been looking at many alternatives. I found 3 or 4 controllers in the same 150A range, looked up their prices and this one was the cheapest of the bunch and already been sold with the motor I'v chosen.

Just an honest opinion would be nice. Is it a good controller (in general / for its price), or are there any other alternatives I should be aware of?

I use the same brand controller and am very pleased and there are no pitfalls. It works fine and smooth and the bike is very quiet with it, but I'm no expert. I've used other Chinese but I don't like the bike is noisier.

It’s great, I’ve had 6 different brands of controllers, none of them beat this in price/performance ratio.
I would also consider nucular controller sold by vasilisk here at ES. Not as cheap but they seem excellent.

Buy from cnqsmotor.com, more likely to get the latest version of the controller than on aliexpress or unknown seller.

I think you can ask if they can get you the ”S” version with higher current specs.

Hello,

I have questions about VOTOL EM-100S Controller.
In the software i can see "Cruise" function. But on diagrams there is no connection labeled cruise, so where to connect physical button switch for manual cruise control?

One more question is about wiring in diagram which states "one key repair" (Brown wire). What functional is it for? Can you describe in details please?

Thank you for your attention!

larsb said:
can you show picture of the diagram you refer to. Brown wire is not in the original one.

Yes, sure..
k7eG4a4.png

What about Cruise button function? here is picture from software:
fJwJFN1.png

Also according to manuals some models have CAN Bus interface. My question is how to check visually (without connecting/powering on) if controller supports CAN Bus? Is there some markings or additional cables?

Cruise: read the manual. It's clearly described here:
cruise.JPG
brown cable: pin's empty on my controller, cannot help with this one
CAN: circuit diagrams are the same with and without CAN, i think you won't be able to know without opening the program

(2) Cruise Function, valid after check
Turn to a certain angle and maintain more than 8 seconds,

I tried to activate cruise control anyway, but it never worked out for me.
I held the throttle for 10-15 seconds, but nothing happened.
For that I also cannot help you. If I'm going to write something.
My controller has pins 5-6, but I've never used them and I have no idea what they are. I'm waiting for it to get a little colder and I'll pack the bike warm and experiment

Oh i missed that "cruise" part because i downloaded other version of the manual... Now i see. So that's basically means that this controller does not support manual cruise with button... It's just auto cruise. My previous controller had that function.
But after closer look there is remapping functionality in the software "Port Settings" tab. So maybe there is a hope.
Just need to identify which pin on port goes to which label in software. PD0, PD1, JTCK... etc and what means IO, SW, LA and F, U, D checkboxes... and it will be possible to use those unused pins.
mUQqLTF.png

Also i find interesting that in the manual there is text about bluetooth connection. Is that a thing? Where can i buy that dongle?
IToJyAD.png

Maybe someone can suggest good and cheap chinese win tablet to control this device on the go easily?

larsb
I read in other thread here on forums that you burnt your VOTOL controller. Do you found reason and fixed that or just got new one?
I hope in your experience it was only once, because i really want this thing to be reliable.

I don’t know root cause 100%. Jonnydrive had similar issues and got it solved when using a different program. He doesn’t seem to be posting here anymore. that controller still works intermittently and i haven’t tried doing the same. Doesn’t seem logical.

I use a new Votol controller now, set at 250A DC (but i almost never use max current) and no issues yet.
I’ve done about 10000km with it now.

I got it to lose control at 5-6000 rpm at full throttle with field weakening and no load. With the QS motor at 5 pole pairs it’s 25-30k erpms which is a bit low if that’s the limit.

Ok! Got it... Hope they will add bluetooth functionality in the future... Thanks for answers <3

larsb said:
I don’t know root cause 100%. Jonnydrive had similar issues and got it solved when using a different program. He doesn’t seem to be posting here anymore. that controller still works intermittently and i haven’t tried doing the same. Doesn’t seem logical.

I use a new Votol controller now, set at 250A DC (but i almost never use max current) and no issues yet.
I’ve done about 10000km with it now.

I got it to lose control at 5-6000 rpm at full throttle with field weakening and no load. With the QS motor at 5 pole pairs it’s 25-30k erpms which is a bit low if that’s the limit.

Hello larsb,
I am still here, but not experimenting anymore, just ride.
In my experience plaing too much with controllers config brokes them very quickly
I found that the combination of Votol 150 (the default configuration) and qs 3000 is a super reliable compared to others combination I tried (kelly, revolt, cyclone, etc).
I also been able to connect domino throttle to the controller using a super easy arduino code. It works a lot better than any hall sensor throttle (if someone is interested I'am going to post the code)
Unfortunately there is no way I could compete with your super technical skills :roll:

ok, he we are...

Intro
Domino is probably the only throttle in the market that use Potentiometer instead of Hall-Sensor. It means usually controllers expect different value as input as a standard throttle (something between 0.7v and 4.2v).
If you connect directly the Dominio to VOTOL an error appear, something such as "Hall Sensor Error" because starting value is 0v and maximum value at fully opened throttle is +VCC

So, probably the best way to make Domino Throttle working with VOTOL is to programming the controller with the correct throttle expected values in the section show in the following picture
Capture.JPG

BUT on my controller it doesn't work ( after re-connecting the controller to the laptop I always see empty values).

If you can put two resistance and a capacitor together there is no sense to use Arduino, I tried and I failed :cry:

The following is my method it is not perfect, there is not elegance, but it worked for me! :flame:

I have no wrings diagram but it is very simple:
- A1 pin (Analog Input) a signal from the Domino (black wire)
- A4 pin (Analog Input) a potentiometer, it is very useful to find the correct settings to makes VOTOL accept the throttle voltage range and reduce the dead zone.
- 3 pin (Digital Output) a wire to the VOTOL Controller (the Green Throttle signal)

Capture2.JPG

Connect all negative wires (throttle, Arduino and Dc-Dc) to the black wire of VOTOL to have a common ground
Do not connect Positive throttle (pink) to Arduino (insulate the wire and leave it un-connected)
Connect the potentiometer vcc and the Domino white wires to the Arduino VCC pin (5volt)

Flash Arduino with this code (or make a better one :)

View attachment VOTOL_Domino_Adapter_02.zip

Connect all together and power up the e-veicle.

Play with the potentiometer to find the correctly settings and check when the controller do not get error the "Hall Sensor Error"
those error cab came up in two ways:
- by simply powering on the controller (if the voltage is too low ---> ERROR)
- by fast releasing the throttle and then accelerating, if the motor do not spin immediately it means that the voltage drop reach a low value and the controller get a temporary error.

If all works as expected wire Arduino to an 5v source of your e-veicle.

NOTE: I used this cheap DC-DC Stepdown: XL7015 DC-DC Convertor 5V-80V to 5V-20V Step Down Power Supply Module Regulator. Be careful, before connecting the DC DC to Arduino use a voltage tester to set the output voltage around 5-6v

Why don't power Arduino with the controller 5v cable (the pink one)?
My excuse is that this configuration came from my ebike with kelly controller, kelly doesn't put enough power thru the 5v output to make Arduino works, may be Votol will do.

TIPS:
When you finally found the right pot-value you can embed those value in the code and remove the potentiometer by changing this to lines:
Code:
engineMin = 0 + potValue/15; 
engineMax = 255 - potValue/15;

Replace potValue with the value that Arduino shows as output in the serial console when is connected to a personal computer.

j

jonnydrive said:
Hello larsb,
I am still here, but not experimenting anymore, just ride.

:bigthumb: Glad to hear you’re riding, i was a bit worried that you got issues and lost all interest in the EVs.

I am also dropping out from ES for a while, currently in the process of building a foil board so don’t have time to post so much.

jonnydrive said:
ok, he we are...

Intro
Domino is probably the only throttle in the market that use Potentiometer instead of Hall-Sensor. It means usually controllers expect different value as input as a standard throttle (something between 0.7v and 4.2v).
If you connect directly the Dominio to VOTOL an error appear, something such as "Hall Sensor Error" because starting value is 0v and maximum value at fully opened throttle is +VCC

So, probably the best way to make Domino Throttle working with VOTOL is to programming the controller with the correct throttle expected values in the section show in the following picture
Capture.JPG

BUT on my controller it doesn't work ( after re-connecting the controller to the laptop I always see empty values).

If you can put two resistance and a capacitor together there is no sense to use Arduino, I tried and I failed :cry:

The following is my method it is not perfect, there is not elegance, but it worked for me! :flame:

I have no wrings diagram but it is very simple:
- A1 pin (Analog Input) a signal from the Domino (black wire)
- A4 pin (Analog Input) a potentiometer, it is very useful to find the correct settings to makes VOTOL accept the throttle voltage range and reduce the dead zone.
- 3 pin (Digital Output) a wire to the VOTOL Controller (the Green Throttle signal)

Capture2.JPG

Connect all negative wires (throttle, Arduino and Dc-Dc) to the black wire of VOTOL to have a common ground
Do not connect Positive throttle (pink) to Arduino (insulate the wire and leave it un-connected)
Connect the potentiometer vcc and the Domino white wires to the Arduino VCC pin (5volt)

Flash Arduino with this code (or make a better one :)

VOTOL_Domino_Adapter_02.zip

Connect all together and power up the e-veicle.

Play with the potentiometer to find the correctly settings and check when the controller do not get error the "Hall Sensor Error"
those error cab came up in two ways:
- by simply powering on the controller (if the voltage is too low ---> ERROR)
- by fast releasing the throttle and then accelerating, if the motor do not spin immediately it means that the voltage drop reach a low value and the controller get a temporary error.

If all works as expected wire Arduino to an 5v source of your e-veicle.

NOTE: I used this cheap DC-DC Stepdown: XL7015 DC-DC Convertor 5V-80V to 5V-20V Step Down Power Supply Module Regulator. Be careful, before connecting the DC DC to Arduino use a voltage tester to set the output voltage around 5-6v

Why don't power Arduino with the controller 5v cable (the pink one)?
My excuse is that this configuration came from my ebike with kelly controller, kelly doesn't put enough power thru the 5v output to make Arduino works, may be Votol will do.

TIPS:
When you finally found the right pot-value you can embed those value in the code and remove the potentiometer by changing this to lines:
Code:
engineMin = 0 + potValue/15; 
engineMax = 255 - potValue/15;

Replace potValue with the value that Arduino shows as output in the serial console when is connected to a personal computer.

j

I just found this....
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46891#p686598

Okay thanks.... Do you just write them ? Because I see no buy option

Do you know if QS does set up the controller settings to match their motors ? Or does it come with default settings.
I already have the qs mid drive 3000watt...

Amigos tengo algunas dudas sobre este controlador votol ya que no encuentro referencias de el y he visto que aquí son muy conocedores del tema, me gustaría también que me aclaran si con esta interface u232-p9 puedo configurar estos controladores o si solo se puede hacer mediante el pl2303 que me resulta muy difícil adquirir, de antemano gracias

Spanish

Friends I have some doubts about this votol controller since I can not find references to it and I have seen that here they are very knowledgeable about the subject, I would also like you to clarify if with this u232-p9 interface I can configure these controllers or if it can only be done through the pl2303 that I find very difficult to acquire, thanks in advance

Back