Q100CST and Top Speed

Your DD motor is severely amp-starved. That is a 1000W motor, which will likely handle easily double that for fairly short periods, and you are only giving it a bit over 700W.

It is important to have some sort of INTERNAL temperature monitoring to avoid melting the motor, but you can safely feed that thing double the current amp load, again, for fairly short time periods. A few minutes, maybe even 10-20, but that leads back to the necessary temperature monitoring, and again, INTERNAL temp sensor.

That leads to oil or ATF fill, or Statorade, and/or external heat sinks.

Ltc433 said:
Thank you for a reasoned and logical explanation.

Now I understand why the 17A on my Q100C is fine. However on my DD 1000w a 14 amp controller may be too low perhaps? Its ok as I was thinking of replacing the whole system anyway as I only need occasional trailer pulling. Id much rather trade the 6kg weight of the DD for a 4kg mac or bafang hub motor. I'm just undecided on mac vs bafang etc. I think the Q100/Q128 wont be able to handle pulling a trailer at all. The mtb is a 29inch, using the same voltage 48V, i was hoping just to swap the motor out but at 14 amps the controller may not be powerful enough.

Yes, DD motors really start to sing when fed lot's of power.
Trailer pulling, like most things w/ hub motors, is all about the hills.
Your Q100C w/ it's "soft" controller, would have little problem pulling a trailer,....in the flat. Start adding hills to the mix and something will have to give.
With your BIG wheels, you need to go w/ a low-speed range (201) motor and I would recommend a geared motor to get the best performance w/ your batt. pack.
Next, you need to see what the discharge rating of your pack is, which you cannot exceed.
The Q128C will like a controller in the 25 to 30 Amp range and is said to produce good "torque" (really a misnomer), probably partly due to high compound gear ratio (like the Q100).
Next step up would be the "large" geared motors like the BPM, Mac, Ezee, etc. Controller rating that match well w/ these can range quite a bit, but figure 30 to 40 Amps.
Top speed for all these combos will be around 20 MPH, due to the low-speed range motor. If you were to use 26" wheels, you could go to a mid-speed range motor, add a couple MPH and climb almost as well.
If the Large geared motor on 40 Amps doesn't pull the trailer as well as you like, you will need the pick a less hilly route, because the next step up in power will require more Volts and an expodental increase in component costs.

I stuck all this in a new post :

Direct Drive Vs Geared Hub at 48V possible replacement

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103166&p=1508963#p1508963

So I have a 30 amp controller, not a 14 amp one. Do you think I should just swap the motor out for a Q128C / Mac. A new controller and Dispaly etc would add about 100USD so not that bad. I read somewhere that they are all matched to the controller and may not work with other parts etc?

Ltc433 said:
So I have a 30 amp controller, not a 14 amp one. Do you think I should just swap the motor out for a Q128C / Mac. A new controller and Dispaly etc would add about 100USD so not that bad. I read somewhere that they are all matched to the controller and may not work with other parts etc?

Between your two threads, I've lost track of what your goal is. Are you looking to replace the motor (Q100CST) and possibly the controller and display; but not really replacing them because you haven't fully installed them yet anyway? Or, are you now trying to replace the motor on your other bike?

I have 2 bikes. One is a new build with a Q100CSt and I want to replace the 1000w DD drive on the other one. This thread is for the Q100CST bike. I am trying to replace the motor on the other bike and wondering if i need to replace the controller and LCD too.

Ltc433 said:
This thread is for the Q100CST bike.

Ltc433 said:

OK, so for the Q100CST you may replace the motor with the Q128C or Mac, AND the controller and LCD (since you mentioned both on the Q100CST thread) correct?

Ah no. The Q100CST is done and dusted. Now I am just concerned with replacing everything on the 1000W

Ltc433 said:
Ah no. The Q100CST is done and dusted. Now I am just concerned with replacing everything on the 1000W

OK, got confused when you reintroduced the controller subject back into this thread.

E-HP said:
Ltc433 said:

OK, got confused when you reintroduced the controller subject back into this thread.

No problem, understandable, that's why I split the thread.

Ltc433 said:
E-HP said:
Ltc433 said:

No problem, understandable, that's why I split the thread.
Got it. Ya I agree, swap it all out. :thumb:

Back