Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

larsb said:
96V controller is not a good option since the power output and efficiency is lower than the 72V controller. It would make sense only if you already bought a too slow motor and have a 96V battery.

Thanks....

They seems to have two em-150 models. The newest must be the most expensive of the two ?

Votol has EM150 and em150/2 on their home page. 150/2 has less pins so i guess it doesn’t have the burglar alarm feature and could be cheaper, performance specs is missing for it on the page. Could you post a link to the two controllers you mean?

larsb said:
Votol has EM150 and em150/2 on their home page. 150/2 has less pins so i guess it doesn’t have the burglar alarm feature and could be cheaper, performance specs is missing for it on the page. Could you post a link to the two controllers you mean?

Em72150 200usd and em72150s 215usd
http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_read/VOTOL%20Lande%20Controller%20BLDC%20Programable%2072v%2048v%20Mid%20Drive%20Motor%20Controllers/837.html

The em72150S is higher performance, worth paying for. You can see the difference in specs earlier in this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95969&start=75#p1477478

I guess the only difference between them is that em72150s probably has better mosfets (lower resistance and losses).

larsb said:
The em72150S is higher performance, worth paying for. You can see the difference in specs earlier in this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95969&start=75#p1477478

I guess the only difference between them is that em72150s probably has better mosfets (lower resistance and losses).

Thank you so much :bigthumb: :D

Do you have a link for the seriel connector ??
Btw. I use this 5kOhm potentiometer as throttle, does it just work with the voltol esc, og do i need to set up something ? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32816094096.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1ba016b4U0MmCz&algo_pvid=7eae62e0-588d-4c27-874b-7e1263b31617&algo_expid=7eae62e0-588d-4c27-874b-7e1263b31617-0&btsid=670572f6-52be-4e0b-a609-659165faa83f&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5,searchweb201603_55

larsb said:
I had issues with my pot throttle. I would buy a hall throttle instead because the throttle limits could not be set in the program (at least with both my previous Votols, this could be improved now)

Danm... any "live view" option in the program, showing the pot moves ? So I can check that throttle_max actually is 100% and min are 0% ?
Why cant i find the seriel adaptor needed, in order to program this controller. I dont want to hack my own...

Btw. In the diagram i see something about "brake" does this controlle have regenerative braking ?? Coming from a Vesc 6, I love this function..... Or is it just a output, for brake light etc. ??

Hi all, am i safe to run em-100 on 20s lipo? 84v charged 74v nominal?

Or am I better off with 18s?

Will be running this controller with qs 2000w 120 70h

Thanks

72V controller is safe at 20s

@silvernest: answer to your questions is in the thread already. I sometimes wonder why bother to answer people here since everyone is looking for an easy fix..

There is regen
Buy the cable from QS
There is no throttle readout

larsb said:
72V controller is safe at 20s

@silvernest: answer to your questions is in the thread already. I sometimes wonder why i bother to help people here since everyone is looking for an easy fix, not to think for themselves..

There is regen
Buy the cable from QS
There is no throttle readout

Thanks Larsb, you have been a greate help. No read out, thats crazy, then you don't know if you ever give full throttle. The vesc 6 is superior here. Never the less, I think i try this votol for my gokart project.

larsb said:
Votol doesn't seem to sell the "S" version anymore, now it's called "EM150-SP" by QS

Goood question.
I just checked my recent shipment.
It's labelled EM150 on the housing.
Should it show the letter "S", if it were a true one?

It was advertised as EM150S here, including the datasheet showing 180A Rated, 220A Boost current:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33058696041.html

Seller is advertising itself as
"QS Electric Drive Store", and I think there was "SIA" somewhere written on the box.
Sounds authritative, but I can't be sure.

I had tried to email carrie before I placed my order to avoid ali order, but got no response.
Mailed carrie again because there was no documentation included at all when I received shipment.
just got out-of-office - they are at EICMA fair.
I understand that they are quite busy there. :bigthumb:

So china sourcing is still quite some adventure :lol:

@larsb
How did you learn to understand the funny Chinenglish language in the manual?
Or can you read the chines signs beneath?

I can't manage to extract precise information out there.
Well, may be that my english is to bad, of course :confused:

Anyway, thanks for your great support here :thumb:

wjr said:
larsb said:
Votol doesn't seem to sell the "S" version anymore, now it's called "EM150-SP" by QS

Goood question.
I just checked my recent shipment.
It's labelled EM150 on the housing.
Should it show the letter "S", if it were a true one?

It was advertised as EM150S here, including the datasheet showing 180A Rated, 220A Boost current:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33058696041.html

Seller is advertising itself as
"QS Electric Drive Store", and I think there was "SIA" somewhere written on the box.
Sounds authritative, but I can't be sure.

I had tried to email carrie before I placed my order to avoid ali order, but got no response.
Mailed carrie again because there was no documentation included at all when I received shipment.
just got out-of-office - they are at EICMA fair.
I understand that they are quite busy there. :bigthumb:

So china sourcing is still quite some adventure :lol:

@larsb

I can't manage to extract precise information out there.
Well, may be that my english is to bad, of course :confused:

Anyway, thanks for your great support here :thumb:

I just ordered the em150 controller via "QS Electric Drive Store" on aliexpress myself.... Talking to Carrie... She called it "Em150SP" alle the time, and said this was the only model now.... So much confusing :) Now i'm excited to se what model i´m receiving :)

Can I safely test run the controller-engine-setup using a Liion Charger?

I have this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000121088149.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4drD1NZF
72V 20S LiIon 84V, 5 to 25 A adjustable

I expect it not to deliver more than 84V - is this supposed to be safe for the controller?
maybe, there is risk of overvoltage due to ripple and control oscillations?
and I have to trick it not to auto power off as fully charged.
Maybe some resistive dummy load will help soving both problems?

I have so many newbie questions in my mind I do not like to bother you with them.
I'm sure, most of them will go away after successful cabling and some initial toying, making room for more serious questions :wink:

However, to build my pack (current plan is 20S32P of VTC4), I'd like to mount the engine first to make sure that the pack fits into the frame.
So I get somewhat stuck in a chicken&egg-loop.

Another option would be to connect a 48V and a 24V forklift lead acid.
But then I had to test in my cold wet dirty potato storage...

Or can I just build some small LiIon dummy pack?
What's the minimum current requirement?
The VTC4 is rated 30A max. Will 20s2P suffice?

In the Gui you set Up max and minimum voltage. If you exceed These values, the ESC shots down. Fully charged 20s battery is 84v. By memory (check the dokumentation) the ESC shots down at 85v

@larsb

There has to be some logic behind all the functions, i usually ask myself ”how is the logic probably built” and go from there. Often you can make a simple parameter test to prove the functionality.

Normally you cannot kill the controller by trying parameters, then program isn’t good and controller isn’t good either.

larsb said:
@larsb

There has to be some logic behind all the functions, i usually ask myself ”how is the logic probably built” and go from there. Often you can make a simple parameter test to prove the functionality.

Normally you cannot kill the controller by trying parameters, then program isn’t good and controller isn’t good either.

Are you using the default battery max amps ??

Btw. Do you know if its possible to get voltage and speed readings with a display like this ?? I know QS sell some.... But i like this one... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000112431729.html?gps-id=ru_edm_recommend&scm=1007.25755.141389.0&scm_id=1007.25755.141389.0&scm-url=1007.25755.141389.0&pvid=9975c2e6-0142-483f-bdaa-58f90f0ecc45&userTouchChannel=targetEdm&smiId=biz_add_wishlist:2001:18024721db0c48df9c487e7a103d691b&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=houyi_target_edm_1_en_US_2019-11-09&rowan_msg_id=1549biz_add_wishlist:2001:18024721db0c48df9c487e7a103d691b_22290$de3fa439319f468c98b0d2834b20ae70&ck=in_edm_other

larsb said:
Yes, i’m at max amps, no problem for my motor.

That display will work, voltage is just to connect but speed depends on how much you can trim the signals to match it to your motor and/or gearing.

Yes you are right. I whant a naked PCB, so i can 3d print my own enclosure for my gokart project. I give one of these displays a try.

larsb said:
speed depends on how much you can trim the signals to match it to your motor and/or gearing.
How ist this with the DKD speedo sold by QS?
If I deviate from their recommended gear ratio, can I change the speedo calibration?

Back