My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

robocam said:
I checked with a square this time (to make sure the ruler markings line up), and it is closer to 28-3/4" at the lowest point. The bike is flat on the ground unloaded. That's just about where you would be if you got off your seat. This is a medium framed X-1. Batboy, I'll try to measure my AM1000 for you soon.

IMG_0956 - standover-s.jpg

formula101 said:
Do you mind posting a photo? The question is what is the standover at the point where someone would actually stand over the bicycle not the lowest possible standover measurement obtainable.

In bicycle shoes, someone with a 28" inseam might improve their standover by half an inch.

Bikes these days (27.5, 29, 26 with fat tires) with suspension, aren't really designed to have much more than 29" of standover in a best case scenario...

For those interested, here a picture of a medium sized AM1000 unloaded an on flat grounds.

Cheers

Attachments

• 71821566_517446918841751_3011545679710388224_n.jpg
    71821566_517446918841751_3011545679710388224_n.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 3,470
robocam said:
I checked with a square this time (to make sure the ruler markings line up), and it is closer to 28-3/4" at the lowest point. The bike is flat on the ground unloaded. That's just about where you would be if you got off your seat. This is a medium framed X-1. Batboy, I'll try to measure my AM1000 for you soon.

formula101 said:
Do you mind posting a photo? The question is what is the standover at the point where someone would actually stand over the bicycle not the lowest possible standover measurement obtainable.

In bicycle shoes, someone with a 28" inseam might improve their standover by half an inch.

Bikes these days (27.5, 29, 26 with fat tires) with suspension, aren't really designed to have much more than 29" of standover in a best case scenario...

Thanks for posting this robo!

Hi! Sorry about the confusion. The photo I posted was of a different bike (unless you were looking for info about the X-1, and if so, you're welcome!). The post by Hardcore should answer your question about the AM1000. From his photo, it looks like it's about 28.2 inches.

batboy said:
robocam said:

formula101 said:

Thanks for posting this robo!

Here is the picture from the rear hub dismantled. This is the quality of bearings they use. Be careful folks. Wouldn’t want this to fail in high speed...

FlyingFinn said:
Here is the picture from the rear hub dismantled. This is the quality of bearings they use. Be careful folks. Wouldn’t want this to fail in high speed...

My opinion is that FREY did the right thing for you. I do not think that you crying on the internet will affect FREY one bit. There are way to many satisfied customers and if someone was researching FREY bikes I think your unreasonable expectations would stand out as just that.

I was riding my AM1000 with 580 miles on it and my hub failed today. I was a few miles away from home in a very hilly area. Pushing the bike up hills to get home wasn't fun. I purchased the bike last November and this was the 1st problem. I hope Frey has a good solution as I will not be very comfortable riding the bike far from home with a cheap rear hub that could fail at any time.

NeilE said:
I was riding my AM1000 with 580 miles on it and my hub failed today. I was a few miles away from home in a very hilly area. Pushing the bike up hills to get home wasn't fun. I purchased the bike last November and this was the 1st problem. I hope Frey has a good solution as I will not be very comfortable riding the bike far from home with a cheap rear hub that could fail at any time.

Please post pictures as well when you get them so these fanboys will calm down and might even admit there is a real issue with the rear hubs.

I bought a DT Swiss 350 hub since it has a modular construction that gives possibility to change for eg. only the axle or freehub. There is also available a steel freehub for the 350 as an upgrade in which I will change if the current aluminium one fails. You will get a spare XD -freehub with the 350 as well which you can maybe sell for $40.

NoFanBoiz said:
First post hey... who else thinks NeilE is actually a butthurt FlyingFinn posting under a new name?

Register a new account in 2018 and wait for a year just for the perfect moment to come here and start trolling. You must be f*ckin out of your mind...

The best thing NeilE can do is raise a claim to Frey by email, best to do that with some pictures and a simple explanation what happened.

I am very sure the Frey team will do it's best to solve the issue the best they can.

I think it's not a correct way for Frey to try and solve claims on this forum, they have a team monitoring emails but may not check each post in this or any other thread on the ES forum?!

brake034 said:
I think it's not a correct way for Frey to try and solve claims on this forum, they have a team monitoring emails but may not check each post in this or any other thread on the ES forum?!

Nobody has demanded or even expected that Frey comes here to solve things. This is FYI -type of communication to all other owners of the bike. Don’t worry, I assume people are clever enough to handle the warranty negotiations in AliBaba.

Are you signalling that we should hush things up?

FlyingFinn said:
Nobody has demanded or even expected that Frey comes here to solve things. This is FYI -type of communication to all other owners of the bike. Don’t worry, I assume people are clever enough to handle the warranty negotiations in AliBaba.

Are you signalling that we should hush things up?

If the discussion is about a potentially weak rear hub, that gives way when ridden hard, than this discussion is a good thing to have. The Frey team can consider these claims and come up with a remedy in direct communication or even here on the forum.

It seems that Frey is the only ebike manufacturer that is actually engaged in directly communicating with it's users, here on this platform, via direct e-mail and other channels.
The main stream, major ebike manufacturers all use their distribution channels to handle claims and are not engaged at all in direct communications, especially not when it comes to claims of which I see many on various Facebook channels.

That's part of what Frey is all about, wanting to be a co-making, co-creating community of riders all over the world, not just sell ebikes!

Where things could go south is when claimers start using the public nature of this platform in order to pressurize Frey on the financial part of their claim. This can affect the technical discussion negatively and could cause Frey (in this case) to walk away.
If this happens often it could cause Frey to get media shy and no longer participate on this platform, which would be a loss.

Best to discuss the financial part of the claim off forum, either via email or the ordering platform used.

Sinbord1981 said:
I’d also say that the fact we’re on iteration v5.0 of the AM1000 is testament that Frey have listened to feedback from customers and real life usage of their bikes to continue to innovate and develop the platform. The new EX and other models build on this iterative development methodology.

Yes I am a little biased probably as I’m now acting as direct sales point for prospective customers in the UK but for any minor issues I’ve had, Frey have been extremely response and resolved issues without quibble. I’m on quite a few other eBike forums in the UK and there are so many reports of issues with other bikes too (your Brose, Shimano, Haibikes etc). Let’s try to stay behind Frey on this forum and help guide them in the development to what we want to see in the future. They are listening and improving all the time. Thanks guys.

I still think my FAT1000 was a good purchase. Price-point was excellent. You can maybe understand being a bit upset for finding out the hard way AliBaba-warranty isn’t the same thing as European warranty and having to cover part of the damages from my own wallet.

Best thing Frey could do in this situation is to maybe send an example of each of their rear wheel to their current partner or a specific distributor service in Europe. Then if these failures replicate themselves as unfortunately is quite likely we could atleast get our replacements within a few days. The cost of this would be negligent because there are only a few sizes of rear wheels.

Quick questions if anyone can help, I got send the wrong charger, it was US AC input and not AUS. Can I cut the plug and wire it onto this charger?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33054651562.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.380f403f51dRHq&algo_pvid=3690aa82-675a-4762-a170-32805f9a41d9&algo_expid=3690aa82-675a-4762-a170-32805f9a41d9-2&btsid=711d9857-7574-49c9-ae2a-c737eb75868b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_52

shap08 said:
Quick questions if anyone can help, I got send the wrong charger, it was US AC input and not AUS. Can I cut the plug and wire it onto this charger?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33054651562.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.380f403f51dRHq&algo_pvid=3690aa82-675a-4762-a170-32805f9a41d9&algo_expid=3690aa82-675a-4762-a170-32805f9a41d9-2&btsid=711d9857-7574-49c9-ae2a-c737eb75868b&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_52

Do you have the 48V or the 52V battery? If you have the 48V battery which is the normal one that comes with the bike YOU RISK FIRE AND EXPLOSION!

shap08 said:

Hi shap08,
Hope you're enjoying the HT1000, let us know how it handles with the moto tyres and 52v system.

I assume you're talking about the AC input here.
The charger takes AC inputs from 110V-260V AC, 47 to 63Hz so there you won't get any problems as AUS is 230V 50Hz. So yes you can wire it to your AUS connector if you have one. Alternatively, if you have any old PC power supply cable those can be directly plugged into the charger as well, hence no cutting.

Yes, this is a 14S (58.8Vmax) charger designed for "52v" batteries.

I've got a ht1000 and want to swap to am1000 has anyone done this think it should be pretty simple if I just buy frame and shock from Frey Or maybe a different frame that I can use same battery in ohh and I also had a hub failure frey sent me new hub but I instead went with new wheel set that I got on sale still happy with bike overall just need rear suspension as riding progressing

Unfortunately, on August 3 Ivy announced Frey will not sell separate frames anymore (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91035&start=1475)

I wish flyingfinn would go take a flying f--k off this forum. How does he get away with creating endless dupe accounts?

Fortunately, there are well informed rational people in this thread, so I'm thankful for that.

formula101 said:
I wish flyingfinn would go take a flying f--k off this forum. How does he get away with creating endless dupe accounts?

Fortunately, there are well informed rational people in this thread, so I'm thankful for that.

I’m just starting to like you my darling. Let’s ride together with our bikes into the sunset ❤️❤️❤️😘

It's alive!

Thank god, hopefully we can keep this thread open now!
To much info on these bikes, without it I wouldn't ordered a Frey bike.

Hardcore said:
Attached a video of the 2020 Frey EX bike. It's a fantastic bike to ride.

Hi @Hardcore - After viewing a couple videos, I'd say we have similar riding preferences in that I tend to ride singletrack pretty fast and love a little air but generally don't do huge drops (don't mean to imply you don't- just hadn't seen that in 2 vids). This will be my first eMTB (have only ridden a few ebikes and never on single track). Trying to decide whether to buy the AM1000, EX, or even M600. I will probably customize the bikes further (particularly with regard to drivetrain) regardless of which frame/battery/motor I get. What do you think are the pros & cons of each of those bikes, and which would you choose? What components would you upgrade/add aftermarket (major & minor components)? I probably wouldn't get the extra battery on the EX as I don't think I'd ride with it. On the AM1000 I might also choose the very base model with the smallest 48v17.5ah battery for less top-heavy weight/narrowest profile (I don't expect needing tremendous range), and just upgrade the components that need it. I will probably end up using this bike to commute some too (no need for rack & panniers though). Other riders who've ridden multiple models of Frey bikes please feel free to weigh in too.

Back