Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev!

Was looking at Controller upgrades for a Sur-ron light bee, and was told I should get one of these, and there are PnP kit available too? Not Electronics savy, but want to upgrade power, and possibly range? Does this controller have regen braking, and can it be used with the stock battery? Should I get a 12Fet or 24Fet? Looking for advice, don't really have experience with electric bikes, but want one for commuting about 15 miles each way, and offroading, with the occasional 70 Mile one way trip.

Thx

VasiliSk said:
Hello guys!
Big update. Files on top here: http://wiki.nucular.tech/en:firmware

This may have been addressed previously.
Does the firmware support miles and MPH now? My old 12 fets only do Km and KMH.

Nucular works with any Battery up to 95v.
so a surron is no problem.

variable regen, yes. simply a normal throttle connected to the display and thats it.
it has also flux weakening (riding fast than your voltage/motor combo can)

I would take a 24f because the 500a phase make the bike flying from zero :D

PanDa_ said:
Was looking at Controller upgrades for a Sur-ron light bee, and was told I should get one of these, and there are PnP kit available too? Not Electronics savy, but want to upgrade power, and possibly range? Does this controller have regen braking, and can it be used with the stock battery? Should I get a 12Fet or 24Fet? Looking for advice, don't really have experience with electric bikes, but want one for commuting about 15 miles each way, and offroading, with the occasional 70 Mile one way trip.

Thx

12 fet is good up to 6kw.
I'd do the 24 fet personally so you can really try to push that motor.

The Sur-Ron controller isn't horrific so the Nucular won't really improve efficiency, just give you more phase amps to play with. And that might actually lower efficiency if you try to run more amps into the motor than actually do any good.

If you want more range, get a bigger pack. The controller won't do that for you.
Regen will help with this, but the Sur-Ron controller does regen so gains here are probably negligible.

A battery pack is a source of current and voltage. So yes...the Nucular will use any battery pack. What I don't know is if the Sur-Ron BMS is tied into the the Sur-Ron controller in any way. Will the BMS allow you to use the battery pack if it can't talk to the controller? I might consider getting another BMS that works independently. There are quite a lot of good ones out there that are smart and not very expensive.

ElectricGod said:
12 fet is good up to 6kw. Bullshit...if you cant multiple amps with voltage dont spread wrong facts!
the 12fet can do 10Kw all day long. On heavier EV phase amps may not be enough to last the smile on your face. thats all.

The Sur-Ron controller isn't horrific so the Nucular won't really improve efficiency, just give you more phase amps to play with. And that might actually lower efficiency if you try to run more amps into the motor than actually do any good.

Do you have a Surron? Do you have the Original Controller? Do you know how much the Motor can eat?
No ?....so stop talking diarrhea again.
The Motor handles even the 24f well. The Stock Controllers regen is a joke. Regen is not for efficiency on lightweight EVs. Its more saving your MTB Brakepads. If you ride above bicycle speed, wind resistance eats all your efficiency in no time.....
Variable Regen is the best way to slow down your EV.
Push Button sucks, Auto-Regen sucks too.

A battery pack is a source of current and voltage. So yes...the Nucular will use any battery pack. What I don't know is if the Sur-Ron BMS is tied into the the Sur-Ron controller in any way. Will the BMS allow you to use the battery pack if it can't talk to the controller? I might consider getting another BMS that works independently. There are quite a lot of good ones out there that are smart and not very expensive.

thats the point....your suggestions and knowledge is far away from real world. Stay on your disassamble crap. Open controllers for pics and stop talking about stuff you have no clue.

You dont even rode a nucular controller until now....
Iam so tired of you. :shock: :roll:

Merlin said:
ElectricGod said:
12 fet is good up to 6kw. Bullshit...if you cant multiple amps with voltage dont spread wrong facts!
the 12fet can do 10Kw all day long. On heavier EV phase amps may not be enough to last the smile on your face. thats all.

Do you have a Surron? Do you have the Original Controller? Do you know how much the Motor can eat?
No ?....so stop talking diarrhea again.
The Motor handles even the 24f well. The Stock Controllers regen is a joke. Regen is not for efficiency on lightweight EVs. Its more saving your MTB Brakepads. If you ride above bicycle speed, wind resistance eats all your efficiency in no time.....
Variable Regen is the best way to slow down your EV.
Push Button sucks, Auto-Regen sucks too.

thats the point....your suggestions and knowledge is far away from real world. Stay on your disassamble crap. Open controllers for pics and stop talking about stuff you have no clue.

You dont even rode a nucular controller until now....
Iam so tired of you. :shock: :roll:

Hey buddy...stop attacking me. I didn't attack anybody including you and I rarely ever do. Deal with facts instead of attacking my character. It shows low character to attack a person instead of dealing with the facts. It shows an inability to deal with ideas and so the common reaction is to attach the persons character. Please stop attacking me and stick to the facts! I'm not an idiot and neither are you!

I got 2 12 fets and a 6 fet just as soon as Nucular would let me buy them. Same for the 24 fet. What exactly are you talking about that until now I've never rode a Nucular? I've had these controllers just as fast as Vasilli would sell them to me! I think you should hold back on those unfounded opinions.

Specs say "Maximum power 10 000W (80V+), Nominal power 5 000W (80V+)"
That sure doesn't read like "10kw all day long".
I only said 6kw becasue I PM'd Vasilli about real world continuous rating several months ago. 5kw is conservative and 6kw continuous is doable.
I've already been thinking about how to make a 12 fet do more continuous wattage. The real hurdle is heat and the TO-220 leg limit of 75 amps.

The Sur-Ron controller isn't an epic pile of steaming doggy doo doo. It's flat out NOT! Is it the best thing there is...well obviously no. But a complete failure of a controller is flat wrong. That's simply NOT the case!

Will a Nucular controller be an incredible improvement? It will be better, but it won't cause the sun to go super nova or even change the world. It's an incremental improvement.

Motors and magnets...everybody knows this...it's pretty obvious. Magnets generate only so much attraction of repulsion. The stator windings can be powered beyond the strength of the magnets. At that point more current in the stator windings does NOT create more torque. You can test this easily. Set your Nucular controller to max phase amps on a motor that can't handle it. What happens? The motor gets hot and doesn't produce more torque. Set the phase amps to whatever is the maximum that motor can handle without getting overly hot and maximizes torque. More phase amps beyond that is pointless...you've reached the limits of the magnets ability to attract or repel. Who cares what motor it is! It's still true. I don't need to own a Sur-Ron to know this!

I do agree with you about variable regen...it's the best way to implement regen. Folks that are technical understand this (you and me). End users that just want a bike with regen don't. That's usually the folks that buy an already complete EV like a Sur-Ron or anything else.

I have no comment about your attack on my comments about Sur-Ron battery packs. What was the point you were making? I did say I didn't know if the Sur-Ron BMS talks to the controller and I did talk about the implications if that was the case. Maybe someone urinated in your wheeties this morning and I'm the vent for your rage? I don't know, but what I posted is sound and what I would do to get away from a proprietary solution.

Is the Nucular controller pretty darn good? Absolutely! I don't have 6 of them...the entire product line... because i think they are shit.
Is there room for improvement? Yes!

Areas where Nucular controllers could improve:
There is no opto isolation between the mosfet drivers and the MCU that I see.
There is no phase current checking. It's all based on the batt- shunts and a calculation. Shunts or current sensors on each phase is best.
The soldering of the mosfets is not great. I've posted on this previously.
No BT functionality.

Good aspects of the Nucular controllers:
Pretty beefy phase and battery busses.
Large phase and battery wires.
Use of firmware that can be updated...this is BIG.
An LCD that programs the controller and also makes for a nice dashboard.
Open source...I LOVE open source!!! I have access to the github repos and sync them locally fairly often. I LOVE open source!!!
Compact, attention to details and yet no lack of performance.
Loads of features that lots of more expensive controllers lack.
Regular firmware updates!

Vasilli/Nucular: Thank you for making pretty darn good controllers. I'm generally very pleased with your work!

please avoid throwing shit on each other in this thread, i will report later posts with hate speech

ElectricGod these shunts measuring phase currents
isolation is pricy
open source only LEVCAN, not whole controller tho :D
No MPH yet, that need some quite a bit of work (Wh/Mph and etc relative values)

PanDa_ PnP kit available, you can preorder on nucular.tech website

What are all the components needed for the PnP on the Sur-Ron?
I looked though the options on your web site but I am new to the Ebike world and I am just starting to learn. Not sure what I need.
I already have Luna’s X controller but Im not very thrilled with it.

Thank you very much for your help Vasili I was scared this morning but I had to wake up badly. The version of firware v0.7.8.1 works fine on my controller. I downloaded v0.7.8 and v.0.57B for the display on the same SD card. When updating the two files are they integrated at the same time or it is necessary to do another manipulation to update the display v0.57B ?

Ok it's perfect ! :thumb
IMG_20191121_151543_resize_17.jpg:

PITMIX said:
Ok it's perfect ! :thumb
IMG_20191121_151543_resize_17.jpg:

Cool! I haven't done any of mine yet, but soon.
I sold my 6 fet to a friend so he's bringing it by next week.
That leaves me with 2 12 fets and 3 24 fets to update.

Did you lose any controller or LCD settings after the firmware updates?

VasiliSk said:
please avoid throwing shit on each other in this thread, i will report later posts with hate speech

ElectricGod these shunts measuring phase currents
isolation is pricy
open source only LEVCAN, not whole controller tho :D
No MPH yet, that need some quite a bit of work (Wh/Mph and etc relative values)

PanDa_ PnP kit available, you can preorder on nucular.tech website

I apologize if I sounded like phase amps were not getting measured at all. It's not the case.
Using shunts in the power buss gives you a good baseline for calculating the phase amps.

I guess if you measure quickly enough when just a single phase is powered, then you really have a way to directly measure phase amps for that one phase. Repeat for the other 2 phases when they are on all by themselves. Yeah! That would get you individual phase amps for each phase...

Isolation adds cost for sure. I have killed a controller becasue it had no isolation. 2 friends have sent me theirs to repair when they blew mosfets for various reasons. Mosfets blew and somehow in all 3 cases surges of current passed backwards into the MCU and mosfet drivers. Many SMD components were fried. I could have spent the time to replace small components, but with so much damage, the cost was pretty high. If those controllers had isolation in them, this would not have happened. I might have had to replace a mosfet driver or an opto isolator since any back surge current would be stopped there.

I can't talk about specifics, but I know of a high power controller soon to be available that costs about what a Nucular 24 fet does, VESC based and is fully isolated. It can be done without making the controller overly expensive. I'll have one for beta testing soon.

Is MPH on the road map for development? If so do you know when we might see it? I know...who do the the UK and USA think they are? lol...just switch to the metric system already. Well that won't happen any time soon! I was pushing for this in the 1980's...still hasn't happened so I'm constantly converting from one to the other.

It doesn't seem to work for me. When I try to update the display it says ok in all lines, and start update?
When I click the right button it goes to the Nucular screen and all the buttons light up in different colors.
Nothing more happens,(I waited about an hour) it doesn't react to anything else than the on/off button.
After I turned it off and on again everything looks normal, but I don't know how to see if it has been updated?

When I try to update the controller it first say booting, then I think it was read error. Restart in 10 seconds.

I just downloaded the files and put them on the "start screen" on the sd card, no map, no changed name or anything.
I should have taken some pictures, and now I have taken apart the bike for dropout upgrades..

Me either I'm not sure I managed to update the LCD. Maybe there should be a screenshot of the new display so we can compare.

I need to get a 24 fet set up. I'll take pics of the before and after flashing.

VasiliSk said:
MPH on "to do" list yes, no dates tho, too many stuff to engineer and assemble

Yes...you guys see lots of demand for your controllers...that's a good thing!
Thanks for the update.

Yes it's normal you must clear the configuration of your brake and redo the setting of the correct entry. Vasili wrote how to check the entries activated in the wikidot by the different contacts in the display menu.

Ok, so get the 24fet, Sur-Ron Connectors, and is the on-board computer the lcd screen, or does that come with it? The vid on the website of the Sur-Ron is amazing

Thx

Hello, I made screenshots but I have only the last in memory.
Otherwise I took a picture of the display of v0.57B
Speeds now display 1-2 and 3. This is no longer S1-S2-S3

If you want a temporary MPH fix just change your wheel circumference x 5/8.
ie: 2040mm x 5 /8 = 1275mm

Ready for test tomorrow - weather and test pilot permitting

Jonno

Back