1st Custom electric chopper

SSGPohlman

100 µW
As it says, 1st build in an obsession. Spent a bit of time gathering 18650’s and then decided one day that Id better get off my arse and order parts or Ill never get it done. This one is still under construction and still has a few small items to go like a rear fender/back rest, lights, key ignition, and battery relocation among other small tweaks. Most of the details are in the description. Im new to the youtube thing so I just kinda started w an 80% complete video, Ill have to add more for the build process etc. always open to questions, etc.

[youtube]IL0hkSwfTFM[/youtube]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=IL0hkSwfTFM
(Rated PG) lol
-Sarge-

So cool wish I could get one street legal in uk.
How does it corner on i hope ,that is one large foot print on the back. :D :D

The large flat wheel in the back is both a blessing and a curse. It likes to stay upright so no need for a kickstand or real need for balance. However, it likes to lean with whatever surface youre on. So if the road tilts then the bike wants to as well. At the same it will turn you just have to lean a little harder to get it up on the edge and then its easy. At first its hard to get used to but after a while its no different other than just lean a little harder.

Nice idea!
A 17" car rim (6" to 7" wide) will fit a motorcycle tire. With that it will ride/roll better. Extending the lower tube (where the seat is on) forward 10" and welding foot pegs left and right will get the steering to be independent of legs and feet. Just some idea's for the next version :wink:

@slowco
I had tossed around the idea of a car rim w motorcycle tire except thats about as big as they go without costing annual salaries. Also the original idea was to hide the battery and electronics in the rear wheel so I wanted the space to do so. And of course who else has a 24” rear rim chopper :shock:
As for the pegs, this is already in the works and will be set up basically as you mention except for the extending the frame. I done a similar setup on a gas powered drift trike last year. Im leaving the frame length as is (68” axle to axle) and going to mold a rear fender/backrest to keep a clean look.
Though if I do end up building more then I will most likely find a way to do a rounded rear as if I dont most people will find it hard to ride at first. Cant have that if its a demo model lol.
More to come, just have to log and upload it all.

Got some welding done to the frame to relocate the battery and have a place for electronics. Just posted a video of the battery box im going to use amd later ill have videos of the battery build as well as a test of 100 cells i purchased from batteryhookup.

Well haven’t got much done but did get quite a few miles commuting back and forth to work. Then with the good weather I tried to get it out. Ran into a downturn of events. So have to rebuild a bit.
DIY Electric Chopper FIRE! Lithium battery meltdown, smoke, and aftermath. Almost lost the house!
https://youtu.be/SqL3EdwTyqk

Back