Hire E-Bike build thread

Hickbeard

100 W
Cost and parts list. Cost so far £995.

£0. Obike donor bike
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBike
£250. 70x Sanyo 18650GA cells from http://queenbattery.com.cn/44-ncr18650ga-3500mah-10a
£0. 18650 cell holders
https://18650.lt/index.php/5p-n-e-s-e-module/
£75. 13x tab set for holders and insulator rings
https://18650.lt/index.php/product/n-e-s-e-tab-set/
£15. Charger
£40. BMS
https://vruzend.co.uk/products/14s-52v-40a-continuous-lithium-ion-battery-bms-ukstock-18650-ebike-e-bike-li-ion?_pos=3&_sid=47ee95edf&_ss=r
£390. 1500w leaf motor
https://www.leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/26-inch-48v-52v-1500w-rear-electric-hub-motor-kit-1181.html
£40. Customs duty on motor kit from china
£15. Tyre and inner tube
£5. Sprocket removal tool
£40 Front wheel
£50. Clark M2 hydraulic brakes set Inc rotors
£25. Kenda tyre and inner tube for the front
£50. Fibreglass kit

Not much to show yet but figured would start the thread anyway.

This is my Donor bike. It was an abandoned hire bike. Nice and chunky look and feel to it.

I will eventually lace a hub motor into the existing wheel for aesthetics, assuming it will be strong enough.

I'm thinking of replacing the basket with a peli case to hold controller and battery on the front.

Thats it for now. I'll update as it progresses.
b0e420955eac8fe8859e311f0c6da15b.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hickbeard said:
I will eventually lace a hub motor into the existing wheel for aesthetics, assuming it will be strong enough.

Front or rear? I'm guessing rear to even out the weight from placing the battery in the front. You should check the number of spokes the stock rim takes.

Any plans for brakes?

E-HP said:
Hickbeard said:

Front or rear? I'm guessing rear to even out the weight from placing the battery in the front. You should check the number of spokes the stock rim takes.

Any plans for brakes?
Yeah rear hub.

Stock rim is 36 as is hub motor.

Currently brake will be front only drum [emoji2357] which is accident waiting to happen I know. Got some cable discs I'll look to fit once the rest of it is up and running.

The aim of this one is cheap as chips. Make lots of mistakes on this one to avoid making the same ones on the next lol

Doesn't an abandoned rental bike stay property of the rental company? It looks almost new. Sounds sketchy...(hope it's not)

SlowCo said:
Doesn't an abandoned rental bike stay property of the rental company? It looks almost new. Sounds sketchy...(hope it's not)
Contacted the company and they said they did a trial in my area but decided not to roll out and it wouldn't be viable to come and collect it so wrote it off. Told me to remove the GPS and post it back to them and I could keep it.

Then I'll call them to do an unsuccessful trial in my area :lol:

Good luck building the bike up like you want.

SlowCo said:
Then I'll call them to do an unsuccessful trial in my area [emoji38]

Good luck building the bike up like you want.
I actually think they've gone bust now but...

[emoji848][emoji23][emoji6]

Hickbeard said:
Currently brake will be front only drum [emoji2357] which is accident waiting to happen I know.
If you use a DD hubmotor, you can use regen braking in the rear to help (though your primary brake is still the front).

If the front brake you ahve will lock up the wheel, you've already got all the braking on it you can get. No need to change the brake for something else, unless you just prefer some other type.

amberwolf said:
Hickbeard said:
Currently brake will be front only drum [emoji2357] which is accident waiting to happen I know.
If you use a DD hubmotor, you can use regen braking in the rear to help (though your primary brake is still the front).

If the front brake you ahve will lock up the wheel, you've already got all the braking on it you can get. No need to change the brake for something else, unless you just prefer some other type.
I don't think the front will to be fair. It's the standard drum and is pretty poor.

For regen does it still use brakes external of the motor or something inside. I'll need to Google regen brakes on ebike as I know very little.

First 18650 cell holders 3d printed. My mate is doing 2 every night.

Ordering the internals from here https://18650.lt/index.php/product/n-e-s-e-tab-set/
5ae3e4be5839255df225ae59332c8668.jpg

Do please post on results with the battery kit. I have not yet seen a user review for Agniusm's (sp?) current kit, though his previous one for pouch cells was said to work well. Hopefully his business is going well and is very busy as he does not seem to post here as often as he used to.

He seems to do good engineering and thorough testing.

Had a parcel delivered today from China.

My 18650 cells have arrived [emoji322][emoji323]

But off to France now so can't open them to check [emoji24]

All the cell holders are printed as well

9155977e57d46811fb185d825630ca3f.jpg

AngryBob said:
Do please post on results with the battery kit. I have not yet seen a user review for Agniusm's (sp?) current kit, though his previous one for pouch cells was said to work well. Hopefully his business is going well and is very busy as he does not seem to post here as often as he used to.

He seems to do good engineering and thorough testing.
Really nice guy.

I'll do a review next week when I've got them to hand. Couple of things to point out but no dramas really.

Had the tab set arrive last week.

Really nice looking product and fit beautifully in the 3d printed houses.

One nice thing as well is I'm guessing these were originally 8p. I asked for 5p so he cut them down for me but also included the offcuts.

So I could build a little 3p battery pack as well. Maybe for another project.

I have to say the whole experience has been great. Full review will have to wait until I'm back at work but whole experience has been great so far.
365857543e3203d81cd4224d707ea4db.jpg

Finally another update.

So I put all cells on a voltmeter to check voltages. There was a variance of 0.003v across all 70 cells so pretty chuffed with that.

Then started fitting them into cell holders. I'm using the ones from @agniusm there pretty awesome to be fair. I printed my own. Little bit of fettling to make them fit nice but really happy with them. Ordered the tab sets from him along with the insulator discs. The cells are proper snug in there. No way they're moving. One observation is the holders do bulge a little in the middle but only maybe a couple of mm max.

Once I'd done all 14 groups I double checked everything looked good and snapped close the lids.

Just need to order motor kit from leaf and source a BMS and charger.

Main Machine shop at work has been shut so not sure if I'll be able to machine up series busbars. That may delay me a bit.
79aff506860f7249373599b6c27dca76.jpg
96ab067f2419a18aee76c86a3db9563c.jpg
c3f4b0ccca7e4d05074a5d461f3acd82.jpg
8d70de1e1089cdb47beff7b4f47586b7.jpg

I have a yellow pelicase which i bought years ago in the Philippines. Might go well with the bikes colour scheme. Pm me if you are interested.

Cheers @whereswally606. Colour matches perfectly.

Not sure how best to arrange the bus bars. Probably two individual connected via cable. BMS will go at the front.
9f269d8afef1d3bdf231649ab9358575.jpg

Took the front basket off and cut it down. The flight case sits on top nicely. I'd like to avoid drilling through the case as don't want to ruin it so for time being I'm probably going to ratchet strap it on.

Frustratingly the batteries are a perfect fit for 13s config. Unfortunately I'm running 14s. [emoji24]

But if I do two rows I can still fit battery, BMS and controller. Please excuse crude replacements for BMS and controller lol.

I'll remove the foam in the bottom and move the batteries in maybe 10mm to allow cables around outside, then put a plastic seperater in between batteries and controller.

Local bike shop will lace my hub motor in my existing wheel for £20 so as soon as the corona virus has worn off the box I'll take that over to be done.

Also measuring up for a front disc.

Next step fix batteries securely and wire up BMS. [emoji848]
93dc5a5a96131c7cdfba15aac3d43c5b.jpg
3507643d2eec7a520a40f4b5be0b8560.jpg
f540bc2f749ae98e5f58cc0f5dc53150.jpg
567240621efe9102200f04b759618eb9.jpg

Can anybody notice what's missing in this picture?
ce93c1fb14f7a2508b472ea102ab5286.jpg

I don't think it's ever going to get a puncture lol

SlowCo said:
But it probably gained a harsher ride quality. :wink:
Not really ridden it much to be fair.

It does mean I need to get a new front rim and two new tyres lol

Can you not cut off the solid tyre and drill a hole for the valve stem?

Back