First pic of Bridgestone assembley

jackatfsi

10 W
Finally got a pic as this thing gets assembled.........only controller setup to go

1168a.jpg

Gozilla lives !!! First test of whole system today....all works !

Now cleanup of the wiring and it's on the road......3 batteries may not be optimum as it unbalances the bike to the heavy side when on the stand.......may just have to go to a 48V system..tsk! tsk!.... :lol:

Interesting bike!

It would be very nice to know;

-- What type of motor?

-- What type of batteries, ah, v & weight?

-- exactly what type of controler?

Thanks,
Al

Motor is the Heinzmann rear hubmotor 500W (up to 750W)...not the "racing" motor

Batteries are 3 PowerSonic PSH-12180NB-FR 21AH....about 10lbs each

This controller is the cheapest thing I could find on EBay ! A used (and apparently sunk) JC36 from YongKang Jiangchuang Electronic Factory.

Is that a brushed motor?

Do you have a link to the controller? I'm looking for a controler for my Heinzman 36v and need one for 36volt packs.

Thanks,
Al

Yes, that is a brushed motor (steel gears)

Lessss has one...I think they are just the ubicquitous scooter motor.......looking inside, I don't think it will do 48V...back to EBay !

J, I can't find anything on ebay or google for "JC36 motor controller" or any variation therof.

What are the descriptors?

Thanks,
Al

PS I find this for 48v
http://tinyurl.com/3bljln

AND
I'm about to buy this is it good?
http://tinyurl.com/3575om

The LB37 looks exactly like the one I have except upgraded to 48 volts...in fact I like the looks of that so much I just bought one !

Now I have to go back to EBay and find a charger !!!

EDIT: Ok...so the new pieces on EBay order are: 1 48V controller...LB37, and one 48V 4.5A charger......that I expect to fit w/ 4 regulators made from trickle charger boards (we'll see)

And, of course, 1 more (10 lb.) battery.

So, at least, the bike will be balanced side-to-side.......

Shakedown cruise was this morning.....everything ran nicely at 36VDC.......shook up the locals across the street when I pedaled up their steep hill sitting down......they're still shaking their heads till they figure it out!

It was very popular w/ the kids (ie under 40) here at the shop...everybody had to try it !

I'll have to tweak up the brakes and the shifter a bit...and add the fairing.....but so far I can't wait for 48V !

jackatfsi said:
This controller is the cheapest thing I could find on EBay ! A used (and apparently sunk) JC36 from YongKang Jiangchuang Electronic Factory.
Hilarious... Did ya know that most Chinese companies preface their company names with their city name? That YongKang is a town?
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=144&start=30

G'Luck w/the project, and happy trails

Lock

First test flights of the 48V version this afternoon.......Yes, it will really do a "right over backwards wheelie" w/ the 60 lbs of batteries in the rear (OUCH!).....and yes, it needs significant damping to keep the steering from going into oscillation at top speed (managed to just recover from that one)

Peak current was 43A, Peak watts 2000

There WILL be a few changes made (ahem)........but it no longer needs pedal assist up the hills here !! :D

Edit: Of course, you hav'nt lived until you've pivoted on the head of an R60......ask safe about that one....

On reflection:

1. I probably should have been moving before opening full throttle......

2. Lucky to be wearing a helmet (esp at 64 yars old)

3. 4 21Ah SLA's in soft bags at the rear (not to mention rear hub motor) would seem to be the source of both difficulties......rear CG shift and increased moment resulting in lowered resonant frequency...ie "death wobble" (not shimmy)

4. 43A 2000W peaks are from the Watts-Up after the high-speed run....it got up to full speed before a ridge in the road set it off

5. the rim brakes are really inadaquate at speed w/ 48v

The difference between 36 and 48 volts was really surprising as at 36 volts it was quite docile....although I didn't try a downhill to get the speed up (probably should have)

You could try getting brake pads that don't suck/are not dried out... Kool Stop Black pads are impressive, but Salmon are really great. Your LBS may not hold 'em in stock, though they could order some for ya. They look like these:

v-refill.jpg

Or, if you have not so good V's that don't even have holder/refills, then something like these will work. Though last time I checked for pads I saw in the catalog that the ones that looked identical to these were called MTB, not BMX:

bmx.jpg

If your cables are old or not oiled, too long/short, too many bends/sharp angles, if the V arms need grease, if you never get your rims even a little wet while riding, they can accumulate a sorta greasy film. Bad pads won't ever work very well, old pads get dry and hard, should be replaced even if they're not worn out. These things will kill off braking power. A fresh set of cables can make an impressive difference, and the salmon pads above are divine... Brake pads are cheap and quick/easy to replace.

If the brakes are mis-adjusted, if the cable ends were not cut flush during install, if ribbed ferrules were not crimped (or pressed in real tight) on the cable ends, cables too long or too short, routed so they bend sharply, old/dry cables, plastic parts anywhere in the brakes, bad brake pads, all of that contributes to spongy brakes.

How-to's and stuff:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=14&imageField2.x=11&imageField2.y=10

The brakes and pads are new but the pads are the plain black ones.....first try will be better pads....that's a great site.......

Better weight distribution is going to be a must......I'll need to figure out how to keep it more "stock" looking.......

I (and many others) highly recommend Shimano XT V brakes. Here they are for a reasonable $80 a set for some of the best long lasting, strong V brakes.

http://tinyurl.com/2rh8ry

after all that I hope your bike can use V brakes!

BTW, XT V's are 27$ at JensonUSA, the listed price drops by about 10$ once you add them to your basket.

Back