Aussie Role Call

Well as the title of the thread suggests, I have seen a few fellow Aussies posting and am curious how many we have here on the Sphere...please take a minute to let us know from what State/city you hail and what e-bike(s) you ride along with any other details you may care to share with the members of the forum :)

It could perhaps lead to new friendships in real life, I know i have made a new friend thanks to Endless Sphere i met Matt (1000watt) and we have caught up countless times now for talks and a ride we also combine international orders to save on freight charges so it has even saved us money! its great to have the members on a forum to discuss our e-bike addiction with but even better is to have another local person that shares the love of e-biking to discuss your projects with, i hope this thread might lead to other friendships being formed by others here on the Sphere.

So C'Mon Aussies raise your hand !

Myself....I'm in Perth Western Australia...I have a delta trike 48v 1000watt brushed set-up currently building ne RC motor powered cruiser....

Thanks guys...

KiM

Hey Kim..

I'm in Bellingen NSW (well near there anyway). here's my collection so far.

crappy mountain bike with a GM 500w rear, headway 36v10ah battery and a regen controller
sixthreezero beach cruiser with a 200w front hub, running a 24v10ah limn (my wifes favorite bike)
GPX250, running a Mars elec 3001, KBL48301 and 16 TS-LFP040's (Originally converted by "Electrocycle"), upgraded by me.
my 5 year old has a razor e300. He loves it, and cos he only weighs 19kgs he flys on it.

I'm currently building an electric assist wheel barrow for a (old) friend. I'll post details when i get it done.

real name is Gary. Nice to meet you.

Ditto Gary :)

Electric assisted wheelbarrow sounds interesting, i wonder if there would actually be a market for something like that?
Brickies labourers might appreciate it on a hot day in summer as would landscapers i think?
Best of luck with that anywayz..your friend will be very appreciative.

KiM

Greg located in Embleton, Perth WA.

I started with a chinese scooter/moped looking bike, brushed hub at 36V, upgraded it to 48V, but it looked too much like an unregistered motorbike, poor brakes, un-pedal-able. Crap. Then I went with a bafang hub motor and 48V PSI green cells in a mountain bike. It's currently out of action with BMS issues, but I have a new Yesa BMS I need to install. Slow.
I plan on putting the bafang into a light road bike.

Finally I have just ordered a 5305 hub motor from John at http://www.emtb.com.au/ which will be arriving soon. It will be installed on a mountain bike frame with lots of volts of lipo. I fully recommend these guys for a local ebike dealer Service has been great so far.

Also I walk the Bibbulmun track (bush walk trail that runs from Perth to Albany) a lot and always thought an electric wheel barrow would be good for carrying large loads instead of a backpack (it'd be a pain to get over the fallen trees, swamps though).

Hi Gregory! Another West Aussie WOOT...Thats 3 of us...If we can get a few more we could organise a ride i was thinking a bridge to bridge maybe around the river on the cycleway, leaving from Hamburger Hill next to the Burswood! Im about 4 km from the start of the Bibbulmun track, so you see may bikes (cyclists) riding the track at all or is it only hikers? I have spoken to a few over the years they seem to migrate to the Kalamunda Hotel when they finished their walk for a beer hahaa...

Have you had any hassle from the Law with your e-bike thus far ?

KiM

I would love to see yours and Matts cruisers on the river bike path! Count me in when you finish the new bike. That will motivate me to finish my new bike.

Bibbulmun Track is only for walkers, but cyclists have the Munda Biddi trail which is similar, starting at Mundaring (I highly recommend it - shelters every 35km). I might make ebiking down this a personal goal. http://www.mundabiddi.org.au

I've never been even noticed by the plod yet, but my paranoia is why I quickly moved away from the scooter and went for a more bicycle style ebike. I'll never meet the 200W limit so would like to just stay out of sight, out of mind. I pedal a lot too.

Gidday, mates. :D

I just tried sorting the member list by location. There's an awful lot of members with zero posts and web sites selling viagara, so I don't think there are really 5,800 genuine members.

Gregory said:
I would love to see yours and Matts cruisers on the river bike path! Count me in when you finish the new bike. That will motivate me to finish my new bike.

Great to hear! Be a nice ride wouldn't it, maybe twilight ride in summer around the river pop into Steves for an ale and a chat! will definitely organise it soon as i have a bike up and running :) I'm pretty sure there is another West Aussie floating about other than us 3, here on E.S too...more the merrier anywayz. Theres a HEAP of West Aussies on the Australian Electrical Vehicle forum but they are predominatly car and electric bike owners not bicycles.....yet....they have shown alot of interest in my bicycle and several have commented they would also like to convert a bicycle...

I know Matt has frequent rides with a group of enthusiasts t that ride vintage style bikes 80s BMXers and such... i'll let him explain that when he posts i have emailed him letting him know of the thread also...perhaps team up with them...if they can keep up hehehe...

KiM

EDIT: Be closer to a couple of thousand i would have thought Grinhill? Damn Spam botz

Booo!

Am Queenslander, state of origin N.S.W

I have two bikes in good working order.

One is a full suspension Currie Dyno BMX style bike with brushed 36v motor. Its a bitch on the rough roads and not a bad townie either. Has a good range for a small wheel medium torque heavy SLA bike.

The other is a rather large steel framed MTB with 48v GM gearless hub that defaults as a mum-mobile. Capable of carrying three small children, massive shops at Aldi. Its good for long flat road rides. I use it to tie small trees to the back rack and drag them out of the scrub for flame bbqs and roasting marhmellows 44gal drum style. Its a sight to see a dead tree tied to an EV on road powering uphill. Some of the bushes I bring home almost takes a whole lane. It cant pop wheelies as the gearing and SLA's wont permit it but the mid speed torque is awesome.

Bike three will come sooner than later I'm hoping, so I can take the whole family to town with ease.

Gidday KiM,
I'm on the other side in Vic, been ebiking for about 8 months now and loving every bit except for testosterone filled jerks in utes that think they own the road.
Aldi have a special on this week for a helmet mounted camera, $149 which can record 60 minutes with sound on a 2G SDRAM card. This must be the perfect add-on for gathering evidence for road rage. 8)
eBikers are a bit thin on the ground over here, in 8 months I've only seen 2 others with serious 'ignore the rules' ebikes. I don't count the mums or librarians on 200 watt store bought lumps of steel that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. :)
So far I am pretty happy with my 408, it seems the best compromise between power and endurance. 20c per day for a 27Km to work and return. Work pays for charging up after the first trip, woo hoo!
If I'm over in WA with my bike I'll give you a shout.

I'm not an Aussie, but I'm here :lol:

I'd encourage anyone interested in meeting other EV fans and builders in real life to join your local Australian Electric Vehicle Association branch:
http://www.aeva.asn.au/

[edit] Forgot to add. My red commuter ebike can be seen in my sig. I've got a few more ebike projects planned and will hopefully then add to the stable with some bigger EVs.

I'm also helping John @ e-mtb.com.au (who's down in Melbourne) by keeping his website running.

voicecoils said:
I'd encourage anyone interested in meeting other EV fans and builders in real life to join your local Australian Electric Vehicle Association branch:
http://www.aeva.asn.au/

Agreed i joined up there a few weeks back after stumbling upon the site couldnt believe how many West Aussies were there and they have regular meetings too! Seems to be predominantly Car and motorcycle owners there atm...

How long you been in OZ for Voicecoils and how much longer you staying for ? Enjoying your stay i hope?

KiM

AussieJester said:
Agreed i joined up there a few weeks back after stumbling upon the site couldnt believe how many West Aussies were there and they have regular meetings too! Seems to be predominantly Car and motorcycle owners there atm...

How long you been in OZ for Voicecoils and how much longer you staying for ? Enjoying your stay i hope?

KiM

WA does seem to be a EV car conversion hotspot in Australia at the moment :)

I've been Sydney over 6 yrs now. I came over to do uni here, time goes by fast! I'm in visa limbo at the moment now that my course is over. I'll have a better idea how long I'll be able to stay in a few months!

I have really enjoyed myself here. On uni holidays I've gone traveling and been around NSW, QLD, SA, VIC, TAS, drove from Broome to Perth in WA. Few out to NZ twice too, just for comparison :wink: (and for a bit of snow).

...and I was in Canberra yesterday and my girlfriend and I both got a ride in the Tesla Roadster WOOT. An awesome car and the only one in Oz at the moment.

voicecoils said:
I've been Sydney over 6 yrs now. I came over to do uni here, time goes by fast! I'm in visa limbo at the moment now that my course is over. I'll have a better idea how long I'll be able to stay in a few months!

Yes i recall some time ago you said you were here for Uni now you mention it. Sounds like you have had a blast here and seen alot more of the country than some Aussies ever do! Have you thought of moving here permanent? Being here 6 years you must be starting to get an Aussie accent too hahaha..Is your Girlfriend an Aussie girl or from back home?

Getting residency here isn't an easy or cheap affair if your not a refugee...My ex-wife was from The Netherlands and it took a good 18 months to get her residency and we were married! Its around a grand just to apply this is non-refundable if your application is unsuccessful too :-( Unfortunately thanks to all the "dial a brides" the Immigration has clamped down on marriage as a means of getting permanent stay in OZ (that was told to us by immigration officer when we met with them)

Best of luck which ever you decide anywayz Voicecoils, if you make it back to WA be sure to get in contact can catch up for a chat.

KiM

Also not an Aussie (yet), but been in Perth for over two years now. I have been building (bodging) ebikes for about 4 years.
I started with an X503, then a Currie/USPD, then Tongxin, then Cyclone, then Bafang, Now running a 9C (High Torque).
I might try the new GM motor next. Never statisfied :roll:
I've had to curb my enthusiasm since we had our first baby though. Don't know where all them time goes.

Ahh old aeva, this has been around for a while from what I understand. Fine boards and people with good skills and plenty of informative posting. I was thinking of joining there some time ago but too much to do. I'll put that on the to do list. I sort of like boards with an international feel though. I'm a bit aussie allergic when it comes to the internet.

spike said:
Also not an Aussie (yet), but been in Perth for over two years now.

Can we count you in on a group ride sometime in the near future then spike? What suburb are from Mate? Up in Lesmurdie myself...(hills...Kalamunda Shire)

G'day, I'm Chris and I'm building an electric RG250 Gamma. I'm in Perth too, but you can't take Queensland out of the boy ;)

I'm also into motorcycle racing, and I will be heading over to the MotoGP to watch Casey secure a win at Phillip Island and third in the championship (Sorry, Pedders :twisted: )

I hope to have something ready by the time the Perth Sun Fair rolls around.

Cheers,
CHRIS

Hi there all,
As Kim has mentioned I too am a West Australian living in Perth.
I have the Cyclone powered cruiser and I am looking at a hub motor build using a mountain bike.
Always keen for a ride.
Cheers,
Matt.

AussieJester said:
Have you thought of moving here permanent? Being here 6 years you must be starting to get an Aussie accent too hahaha..Is your Girlfriend an Aussie girl or from back home?

Yep, PR is what's in the works. I don't think I've got an Aussie accent but friends and family in the States now think I "talk funny" :lol:. Yep, Aussie GF, we've been together for close to 4 yrs now.

Getting residency here isn't an easy or cheap affair if your not a refugee...My ex-wife was from The Netherlands and it took a good 18 months to get her residency and we were married! Its around a grand just to apply this is non-refundable if your application is unsuccessful too :-(...
Charging my credit card a few thou was the first step in the application :shock: I know what you mean.

Best of luck which ever you decide anywayz Voicecoils, if you make it back to WA be sure to get in contact can catch up for a chat.KiM

Cheers! I'd like to see more of WA, will be sure to let you know if I do. I'd like to try burning some RC powered rubber :lol:

AussieJester said:
spike said:
Also not an Aussie (yet), but been in Perth for over two years now.

Can we count you in on a group ride sometime in the near future then spike? What suburb are from Mate? Up in Lesmurdie myself...(hills...Kalamunda Shire)

I should be able to get off the leash for a group ride. I live in Wembley Downs (work in Subi) but could come over to the hills if that's where it's at. Still got my northern pommie accent though so you might need an interpreter :wink:

1000w said:
Hi there all,
I have the Cyclone powered cruiser and I am looking at a hub motor build using a mountain bike.

There he is :) ... Forgive Matts momentary lapse of sensibility i am currently trying to talk him out of the hub motor and into an Recumpence reduction drive/ RC setup heheh.. Astro Matt AStrooooo... Seriously though I look forward to the build be another example of how it should be done like all your other builds ;)

voicecoils said:
Yep, PR is what's in the works. I don't think I've got an Aussie accent but friends and family in the States now think I "talk funny" :lol:. Yep, Aussie GF, we've been together for close to 4 yrs now.

I would hope they take your 6 years studying here into great consideration, seeing you have spent so long here you would have made many friends and and associates and with your higher education you have something to offer the country too, not like your going to be sitting bludging on welfare, again though :: fingers crossed:: for you :)

spike said:
I should be able to get off the leash for a group ride. I live in Wembley Downs (work in Subi) but could come over to the hills if that's where it's at. Still got my northern pommie accent though so you might need an interpreter :wink:

I think a "central" point for the ride would be appropriate something around the city i was thinking. Possibly meet at the Burswood (Hamburger Hill) and go from there around the cycle path on the river, depending what other members have range wise we can work out how far we would like to go, would think include a stop for a light snack and a beer so we can all catch up and talk E-Bikes in a beer garden etc would be a nice addition? But yeah, can sort out what we all want to do when the time comes, just wanted to gauge interest and see how many we have in here, seeing summer is around the corner we will have months of awesome riding weather...

Other members in different states might also like to arrange similar so i hoped this thread would be beneficial for all the Aussies here :)

KiM

p.s If anyone else has other suggestions please suggest away mine was just that a suggestion nothing set in stone... ;)

AussieJester said:
p.s If anyone else has other suggestions please suggest away mine was just that a suggestion nothing set in stone... ;)

Just for reference, I found this site useful when looking for cycling routes http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/country/14/region/6/city/1323

G'day all,
I'm Colin from Maryborough Vic, and I am in the process of building my first electric vehicle. It is a trike that is to be powered by a little 300W brushed motor, planning on 36v of sla's to be helped out by a 31cc weed eater motor driving the rear tyre. It is being built to compete in a 24hr race in about 6 weeks time. Really need to pull my finger out to get it finished but have a hold up waiting for more CrMo to arrive :evil:

HI there,
im Alex from sydney hornsby area,ive owned my first ebike (36v 400watt fwd hub motor) for alittle over 18months now,running with 14ah heavy slas...
besides the weight of the batts,+ trying to tackle some fairly steep hills....i have been reasonably happy with the kit,

i would really like to meet up with some one in the sydney area that has experience with building geared non hub motor set ups,seriously
otherwise i may have to move out to w.a & camp out somwhere(near a brewery) whilst i undergo an apprentiship at aussiejesters workshop.lol
peace people
newbie e-enthusiest/horticulturist
Alex :)

Back