Pedego (new manufacturer)

Hey, I rode one of these beasts just a few days ago! Once up to speed, it was actually not too bad. You can start without pedaling but the acceleration is almost non-existent. It was much easier to pedal up to speed and then use the throttle. I assume this will increase the range tremendously also.

I like the bike on the cruiser. They have a 36v motor, so they must have a lowish amp limit on the controller if they are that slow. The ready to ride bikes have to actually meet that 20 mph rule I suppose.

They have their business place and showroom close to where I live, so I visited them and was given a tour by the owner (Don), a pleasant guy. Nice to see an ebike business anchored with a real (not virtual) business place.
I went for a short ride on a Men's cruiser (specifications).
I liked that is was silent thanks to its gearless motor (500 W). Acceleration was moderate but sufficient, controlled by a twist grip (my preference).
I was pleasantly surprised by the light weight when I picked it up, it looks heavier than it is.
1 year warranty is better than most manufacturers.
They changed the rear brake from a disk to something unusual, taken from scooters. Don't know the name but it relies on friction inside a tiny hub and with a heat-dissipating disk. Front brake remains a disk brake and felt powerful.
About the range I don't have numbers but I organize bike rides in my area, and the riders with Pedego bikes have no problem completing the moderate distances (like 15 miles) set so far, with energy to spare from their 10 Ah 36 V.
When riding my slow 15 mph ebike next to someone on their Pedego, the Pedego was faster, so I don't doubt the 20 mph claim.

Overall: The bikes seems to perform as advertised, are light, well priced and with a better-than-average warranty. The cruiser style is a matter of personal preference, but I must say the riding position is comfortable. Now, if only it had full suspension...

I think this manufacturer is under-exposed on forums: Only found one other active discussion: BikeForums: Any feedback on Pedego bikes? but nothing much there as of now. They do seem to be promoting multi-level marketing to promote sales, but that takes nothing away from the product.

Related post on TidalForce forum.

Motors in these pictures are prototypes, some made from random parts. Better pictures are on our web site (http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com). Trike final design is much different from these pictures. Here is a picture of the new Electric Tandem that will debut later this month along with the Trike

Attachments

• Tandem 6.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 847
Whether the bike assembler knows it or not, its hard to track down the motors actual origin. If a manufacturer has worked hard to establish a name for a certain level of quality, they may still produce a lower quality version for a drop-shipper, using some of the same parts.

Also, competitors in China are well-known to reverse-engineer a new product or an existing product. They then produce a slightly different or cheaper version, and hope many customers think they are getting the well-known product at a model-closeout price.

It goes the other way, too. If I wanted to start selling "spinningmagnets" brand E-bike kits, I could contact Bafang and have them build their standard unit, but with one steel gear, plus thicker wires, or whatever I contract for. Of course, I may need to deposit monies to cover 100 units up front, but manufacturers will build whatever you negotiate and contract with them. The unit won't say "Bafang" on it, but it was made by them and may be a better unit (with a higher price?...)

a year later from the original post here, and i found the company online in a comment section of some "green" website when they were talking about the A2B, and the poster mentioned to check out the Pedego. That is kinda sad that is the first place i have heard of them. They no longer advertise a trike either.

anyhow, looks like a nice bike for people who dont want to build it themselves. style is all a matter of taste, but they should also offer something that is not "retro" i kinda like it, but not so sure i could sport that look.

cool bikes though, i kinda like the black cruiser with red wheels.

Pedego:

would be nice if the rear rack had a rack portion above the battery so it could still be used. picture a "cage" around the battery (more or less).

Does the battery have the ability to be locked? That too would be nice! :wink:

Back