Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

Nice work Kim, you're the first person I've seen who's managed to put a bonnet scoop on a bike :lol:

1000w said:
It hasn't been that hot softy. :D Maybe in that shed
I nearly died on tuesday. It was 40 degrees when I left work and when I walked outside I thought "oh man it's hot!" then I started riding and it got even hotter. I know there's the whole wind chill factor in cold weather, but I guess the same applies to hot weather. At 50km/hr it was dead set like riding with someone holding a hair dryer on high in your face and your whole body. I've been chilled to the bone before but I've never felt anything like this

Holy crap, every time you put out something new it blows my mind. The lines on this bike are where this design shine. I was considering the fiberglass batt box untill I got the idea for a gas tank style hardwood cover for the controller and don't think it will jive with a fiberglass box. Keep up the good work!

WOW..thankyou all for the positive feedback!

Before i go on i have a big thankyou to make to GGoodrum Gary has
generously donated two of his Lithium Polymer balancer/LVC kits, for those using Lipos
these kits make it idiot proof and as safe as Lipo use can be I strongly urge those looking at running a
Lithium Polymer setup too checkout this thread (check GGoodrums second post for balancer info) and keep an eye on
Gary's website for the kits up coming release, Again GaryTHANKYOU for your generosity it is very much appreciated mate.

FrankG Thanks Frank hehe you speechless though hrmzzzz i dunno bout that hahaa, i must have juuust missed you on MSN last night oo buddy went for a shower came back and saw you message but you had already shot through...keeping an eye out this morning for you.. Chat soon mate ;)

Hyena.. Ever seen a scoop on a pc ? done that too PC Scoop :p (tiz also fiberglass)

enoob Cheers for the tip with the silicone, just so happens too my good mate Kelvin Oaks is the Secretary of the Western Australian JetSki association He is a TRAGIC jetski addict so sade hahaha..cheers mate...

1000watt You got it Matt, when its over 30 its ALOT hotter in the workshop as you know its galvanised iron sheet, me needs a BIG inductrial fan...hrmz I KNOW Matt...next curbside run we need to keep an eye out of those evaporative coolers people chuck out all the time, that would get some air flow happening, stand it in the door way get some breeze happening!!!

northernmike
Scroll back a few pages and there is pic of myself and a mate sitting on the bike :-S

Burtie & Thud
I would encourage you both to give fiberglass a shot, even if you haven't used it before its very very easy to get good results, and a couple of skilled DIYers like you two with your talents will pump out a cracking efforts no doubt. Few tips i can give you, buy surgical gloves, HEAPS of acetone and have bundles of newspaper and clean rags handy, fiberglass as joyus as it is in being able to create fantastic shapes, is THE messiest stickiest 'stinkingest' shit you have ever touched hahaha...If thereis anything that you think i might be able to help with please don't hesitate to PM or ask in the thread happy to help either of you fellas out.

Hope i havent missed anyone..thankyou all again for the wonderful words of encouragement and support it is most appreciated to wake up to such support, very encouraging stuff fellas...thankyou

KiM

Update

Cut and de-foamed the battery enclosure, was simple task, created a template
of the shape i wanted stuck it on the enclosure marked it, cut it with a dremel and
then dug out the foam, it all came away easily leaving nice 'smoothish' finish
inside for lots of GanGSTA LipO GooDNeSS :p

Battery_enclosure_series_pic1g.jpg

Plenty of room in there for at least 8 22v turnigy packs...

Having an early one today feet up relaxing ... more tomorrow...

KiM

Update...

One of the joyz of fiber glass is if you make a mistake its often
easily rectified, i mention this as i wasn't entirely happy with the
the sides of the enclosure post cut, they weren't quite even
solution!?! mix some resin pop a coat on the edges and pop top back
on and re-cut to rectify mistake...

Result, even sides-->

Battery_enclosure_series_pich.jpg

Check the #2 pic left hand side of case closely you will see the re-attached
piece and the new cut line, i also layered a piece of glass on the inside for reinforcement
but honestly this isn't even necessary resin alone would of held this never to part again LoL

As can also be seen in above pics, i have attached 1.5mm aluminium
strips, this is to prevent the top sliding side to side, also it 'closes' the gap
between the top and bottom section to. The hinge is also fitted, I have 4
stainless steel cap screws hold this in place now (not seen in above pics)

I decide it was time too see if it will be possible to make Methy jealous
so i made up some packs to take the place of 22v 5000mah Turnigy packs using polystyrene, the packs
i made are slightly large than the Turnigys, i have also allowed room below them for
the actuator, all up 16 packs EASILY fit into the case, i could squeeze another 2 packs
in if need be, one alone would fit into the top of the enclosure! As mentioned i shall be
using 8 packs to start with i think this will give me adequate range for the time being
44v 20ah of Lipo goodness...I plan on attaching a second motor all things going well
with the single setup so will need the additional room for more packs too feed the second
outrunner, each having access to their own 40v 20ah pack :) Would make for some hell
range with single motor and 44v 40ah config though... :: ponders taking this bike off the hill ::

I have still to 'layout' the interior, this i shall start on tomorrow, i want a 'drop down'
platform in the scoop for the ESC to fasten to, this will be right in front of the scoops
opening to maximise the benefits of the air flow onto the ESC to keepz him
cool and :: fingers crossed:: magic smoke free ;) The platform i intend
to be hinged for easy access and will 'swing' into position and be held
in place via thumbscrews. I also want too arrange some platforms for the packs
to attach too, my goal is to have a oober neat and user friendly layout that doesn't bring on bouts
of cussing everytime something needs attending inside the box...

..more on this soon OH and the mounting to the frame...

KiM

20 packs is just enough! :)

I would personally go with at least 12 over just 8 of them. 8 is OK, but 12 would be so much better, and you've got plenty of room in that fancy box :)

That's beautiful work Kim!

Turned out fantastic!

Leave it to the long hair Aussie to make the coolest damn battery/electronics box ever... Lol :)

liveforphysics said:
20 packs is just enough! :)

I would personally go with at least 12 over just 8 of them. 8 is OK, but 12 would be so much better, and you've got plenty of room in that fancy box :)

That's beautiful work Kim!

Turned out fantastic!

Leave it to the long hair Aussie to make the coolest damn battery/electronics box ever... Lol :)

Cheers Luke...I do only ride a max of 10-12km a time though buddy, so 44v 20ah should be MORE tah enough.... for time being, i don't think i'll get a heap of voltage drop ...letz not forgetz either Luke, i haven't ridin a bicycle in more than 20 years so will take me a week or two to get back in the swing of things :: wink :: (motorcycles dont count right LoL) ...long as we make Methy envious is aaaaall that reeeeeally matters though right hahaha... SoZ Patrick, you will always be 'Don' GangSTa .. to me hehehe ...

Cheers Luke :)

KiM..

p.s OH .. Luke...you didnt say, what ya think of the 'Modern' Board Tracker Look Luke? ...here's a re-do I did to
rev up 'Safe'

EBRR%20Formula%20Extreme.jpg

The look is really growing on me, i wouldn't do it as a daily ride but ever now and again for
som high speed fun might be the ticket, aerodynamically it gets you in a tuck not
unlike you would be in on your GSXR 1000..i have some 'clip on' bars here too from a pocket bike
ill try on it see how that looks haha...

That picture is perfect! Right down to the SLA battery getting used as a bike stand, which is the best purpose I can think of for them :)

Love the three motors, and I think clip-ons would be awesome on your bike! It looks like a fierce monster!

Question, the piece of steel that rests on the top ofthe head tube and holds the tops of the rear fork tubes in place comes off so you can take the whole fork off the bike right? So how is it you have those mounts for the handlebars up there without welding?

gestalt said:
Question, the piece of steel that rests on the top ofthe head tube and holds the tops of the rear fork tubes in place comes off so you can take the whole fork off the bike right? So how is it you have those mounts for the handlebars up there without welding?

Really very simple actually, the fork tubes have 10mm nutes welded in the top of them

fork tubes.JPG

The end plate has holes the size of the diameter of the fork tube along with a circular steel plate with a 10mm hole in the top of it welded too
this plate, so we now have a recessed area on the plate for the fork tube too sit in with a 10mm hole for bolt, a nut in top of
the forks for bolt too screw into, i have another piece of aluminium with a 10 mm hole that is used as a washer/spacer, the bar clamps
sit ontop of this and a high tensile 10mm steel alen screw head bolt is put through the lot of it and tightened down, holds the forks rock
solid no twisting and the bar clamps are also attached as part of the deal :)

Hope this clears it up mate :)

KiM

Update

Decided to take a break from the battery enclosure today, have reached
my fiberglass tolerance threshold for the next few days, so
i worked on fitting the sprocket too the rear pulley, stretching the chain stays
out to allow room for the pulley while also gaining adequate room on the left of the hub
for the left hand thread freewheel to be fitted.

Matt Parks (1000watt) as many have seen fitted a extra wide hub with the same
pulley i have chosen too use, here's how Matt went about this-->

pulley9.jpg

pulley10.jpg

Now if you look closely you will see the gaps between the bolts differ, this
is due to the tooth count its not possible to have the same gap between the bolts
holding the sprocket on. I was initially going to copy this method as Matt has done,
as its very solid & looks ok, then I thought, well, why not remove the teeth and notch
my own recesses for the bolts rather than using the pre-existing teeth for the bolts to 'grab' on too!
(drilling isn't an option the sprockets are hardened steel)

So, Here's how i went about modifying the sprocket -->

Pulley_conversion.jpg

The pulley has been drilled and tapped using 8mm high tensile steel bolts, The bolts fastening
the sprocket too the pulley are still an issue however, they hit the chain stays
by the sliiiightest of margins, a slight grind would fix this BUT i decided better option
would be too use button head cap screws SO i rang Coventry Fasteners checked availability
thankfully they have stock of 8mm x20mm stainless steel cap screws SO i ordered 10
and have mate picking them up for me, the rounded head of the button head cap screws
will give me that liiiittle bit extra needed, very slight clearance all round BUT
thankfully i now know i have the room! I was sweating over having to notch the chain stays
i really didn't want too do this, since none of the motor mounts had been welded in place
yet, stretching the chain stays apart another 15mm was an option...thankfully widiening th gap
and using a couple of 5mm spacers either side has given me
the extra room required...(we wont talk about the 4-5 threads left each side
on the hub axle for the nuts too screw onto though LOL....thankgod for Loctite right!!
)

I shall update the above pic when i have fitted the stainless steel button head cap screws

I spoke to Matt Parks on the phone today, he rode his cruiser too bicycle show on the weekend
and informed me all is not well with the extra wide 3 speed hub (same as i have) Its making bad noises
looks like the innards aren't any different from the standard size 3 speed Sturmey Archers
(I have seen a few fail on motorised bikes i recall Safe blew one) I was mindful
of this when i decided to use one, i new this motor would easily destroy it if given the chance,
i was hoping though if treated kindly it would do the job for a reasonable time. I shall
order in a standard freewheel extra wide hub along with a Eno freewheel from Sick Bikes.
THIS was ALWAYS on the cards for future dual motor setup, i will simply have to bring this forward
and have it here ready too go when needed. I have a spare 20x4.25 rim/tire too lace it into
so the 3 speed setup wont need to be touched until such times it breaks or
i head for MotorPlex for some fun on the 1/4 mile...im at least hoping the 3 speed lasts until
i can afford the second motor setup, not alot of point trying it on 1/4mile with the one motor and no
point at all trying with 3 speed will blow the guts out of it if given too much on take off i think.. Least its not
a Honda Civic blowing axles at 1500 bucks a pop right (wasn't it?) Luke hahaha...

KiM

Edit: Button Head cap screws now fitted (see above pics), as expected it
did gain extra clearance but not quiiiite enough, if the hub is positioned well back in the dropouts
we have room, I will have to trim a few millimeters from the right chain stays BUT nowhere
near as much as i would have IF i didn't spread the chain stays that extra 15mm. Rather
than notch the chain stays what i will do is 'cut and shut' the tubing ~inch from the end. I
will do this on both sides its not needed on the left but too keep the symmetry of the frame
in tact and to satisfy my pesky perfectionist outlook it will needed to be done this way :: sigh ::

Update

I had a doctors appointment midday today so my day was interrupted whilst i went to get m 6 months prescription for
pain medication, i didn't want too get into the middle of something and then have to pack up shower and head out
so i decided a simple quick job would be the order of the ..erm...morning hehe...

I searched around for a quick and easy job and decided The Sturmey Archer 3 speed lever would be
the best candidate for a re-vamped look. These levers are polished aluminium and thus all ready quite
light, I had planned on making a totally new lever from 10mm aluminium plate Matt .P kindly gave me pre-marked
with the design of his AWESOME custom lever BUT yet again, it is set aside for another day :-S ... I decide too i
would follow Travis's from Iron Spade Cycles lead for the gear lever mod ie. utilising an old ICE bike piston
(Trav used one from a full size bike an RD350 Yamaha for memory?)-->

2s0bsjs.jpg

The piston from the pocket bike I found last scrounge when council rubbish collection was on would be used
on the lever. I also scored a few other useful components from the bike, the callipers just so happen to be identical to the
ones on the cruiser and have near full pads in them SCORE! The triple tree fork stays maybe of use at some time
AND the throttle will be butchered to fit the DPDT momentary switch that activates the linear actuator, the
end part of the throttle housing is large and contains horn switch, the enclosure that this is in will be perfect for fitting
of the actuator switch and also houses the clamping mechanism too hold it too the bars so another SCORE!

Anwyaz...the lever and how it came out-->

Modded%20Sturmey%20Archer%20Gear%20Lever.jpg

Turned out good i think, slightly trimmed down and a few lightening holes added for that 'racy look' topped off
with an ICE bike piston, the holes were drilled with my largest bit then reamed out using air die grinder to the sizes seen
in above pics.

Wont be doing any more today, all showered and clean feet up 30 plus outside now so will be watching
a few flicks the rest of the day and be back into it tomorrow...

More soon fellas

KiM

Hyena said:
Heh what a cute little piston :p

haha ain' it ..only smaller ones i have seen are from the 3.5cc motors i used in the 1/8th RC buggies and
on road race cars. I'm not sure the size of this motor without taking measurements nothing is marked on it, i would
guesstimate its around 33cc though, definitely aint any bigger, i would of liked a 49cc size China Gurl piston that
would be slightly larger PLUS heheh PLUS it would rev the shit out of a few of the motoredbike.com die hard ICE heads, of course i would smash the 49cc block to pieces and document the process in a nice pictorial WITH video just to rev the frock out of them hehehehe. :: calls big bro to see if he still wants his motored 49cc pushie ::

Lightening holes make things look FASTER :p

KiM

Update

Another HUUUGE update today fellas :p Nearly two hours
of fart assing about and i have a mount for the gear lever.

Modded%20Sturmey%20Archer%20Gear%20Lever_mount.jpg

(bolts to be replace with stainless steel cap screws...out of 8mm ATM unfortunately)

I spoke with Matt P. yesterday after he informed me of the trouble with the Sturmey
Archer
he mentioned if he were to 'do it ove'r he would simply go with a single
speed setup which is equivalent too 2nd gear on the Sturmy Archer 3 speed hub(1:1)
With this in mind the gear lever has been mounted so it looks its best when
in the second gear position, seeing first and third will rarely be used if at all...
perhaps i will have need for 1st on occasion due to my area being ALOT hillier than
the suburb Matt is from..but i envisage it will be stuck in 2nd 99% of the time.

Humid as a snatchette in a rain Forrest outside now so will be inside for the afternoon
(1.30PM here now) i still haven't notched the chain stays to get the necessary clearance, i
have been putting it off hoping i will come up with an alternative wayz too do it alas
it wont happen, there is only so much width you can stretch
the chain stays as the axle in the hub is only a certain width and i'm at the absolute
limit now, i have no choice but to cut into the frame :: sigh ::

Back tomorrow with modded chain stays and i think ill do the mounting of the
battery enclosure and if i have time the switch for the actuator, i can pop a 12v sla
in the enclosure (TEMPORARILY Luke T E M P O R A R I L Y mate don't pannic) so i can
lower and raise the actuators without dragging a battery out and touching wires
on the actuator...

ciao for now fellas

KiM

GGoodrum said:
Last time I saw a "trained beaver" was at Pat Pong, in Bangkok, about 20 years ago. :mrgreen: Amazing creatures, these trained beavers. :wink: :lol:

BWAHAHAHA you dirty old man :p did they spit ping pong balls at you did they? Seen that before funny
as hell ..

I stole my trained beavers from other Doc.. they weren't
doing too good a job for him apparently :)

KiM

AussieJester said:
BWAHAHAHA you dirty old man :p did they spit ping pong balls at you did they? Seen that before funny as hell ..

Actually, it was chunks of banana and then she shot darts across the bar and popped some balloons. Oh, and she could make change for a dollar. :mrgreen:

GGoodrum said:
AussieJester said:
BWAHAHAHA you dirty old man :p did they spit ping pong balls at you did they? Seen that before funny as hell ..

Actually, it was chunks of banana and then she shot darts across the bar and popped some balloons. Oh, and she could make change for a dollar. :mrgreen:

Wow!

You know you're in a classy place when the entertainment doubles as the change machines.

Imagine what that beaver could do working with it's natural medium, wood of course. ;)

I don't know, Luke, there'd be nothing but sawdust left. :shock:

The details are fuzzy, but I used to see some pretty amazing things in some of these places. One trip my boss came along, so I took him to one of the tamer spots, but it was still pretty unique. A girl was doing "hands-free" caricatures with a big marking pen. I had her do one of my boss, and it was amazingly life-like. Later, I had it framed, and his secretary had it put up in his office. We never told anybody the "hole" story. :lol:

Back in the 80's you would hear people bragging about taking their vacation in Thailand.

This was before most folks knew of its reputation. Now that I'm older and wiser, it is hard to look at those people the same way. :lol: :lol:

One of them was the old announcer Rod Roddy of the price is right. He constantly announced that he was taking yet another trip to Thailand. He even became an ambassador to one of the cities there.

It's so funny when you go...."Oh, so that's why they....."

Update

Having no new movies on the HDD to watch last night and with a nice cool change in the evening
i decided i would do a lil modding of the Pocket Bike throttle, lil plexi, lil dremelling, lil bondo
some spray putty splash of GangSTA 8) black and bada boom bada bing we have a actuator switch mount
Went out this morning, paint was dry so i assembled it and snapped a few happy pics-->

Actuator_button_mount1.jpg

Required some modding, the mount standard was too 'shallow' to fit the switch in, i simply cut a 'frame' shape
to extend the height of the section the switch would sit in, slapped on some Acrifix 192 acrylic cement
before prettying it up with some paint..Turned out quite neat IMHO..

OK..heading out to start work on the day be back this arvo with another update :)

KiM

AussieJester said:

Update

prescription for
pain medication,

Bro i dont know what pain meds your on but where can i get some . not worried about the pain , looking for the side affect . id say you suffer from accute fabricatitis . :p

Trained beavers. too funny
national symbol in this country you know . lmao

enoob said:
AussieJester said:

Update

prescription for
pain medication,

Bro i dont know what pain meds your on but where can i get some . not worried about the pain , looking for the side affect . id say you suffer from accute fabricatitis . :p

Trained beavers. too funny
national symbol in this country you know . lmao

HAHAHA... if you took the meds i was on (the prescription ones anywayz) you would be spewing your ring up in 30-40 minutes then paralytic for 24 hours, not alot of fabrication would take place im afraid LoL ... I take 600mg of Tramil a day along with 30mg of baclofin... The tramil is 24 hour slow release...on top of that i have my own home grown "medication" My Doc has just booked me into the pain clinic for assessment, he mentioned a new patch he would like to have me try, last 3 days and release pain medication...shall have to wait and see i guess...

I have a few pics but wont bother posting them at this stage, i have re done mounts for battery box, and have it mounted on the frame now, i have also done some more prep to it it is ooooober flat now ready for paint, which brings me to harlequin paint, my spray painter buddy was around after work today with news he has a car at work hes spraying with harlequin paint and suggested the flames i wish to do on the battery box should be done with the it too...he is "obtaining" a a couple hundred ml. for me which will be more than enough to do the flames...the colour change is dark blue to green to yellow/orange depending on he angle its viewed on...should make for some neat flames i think? For those that don't know what harlequin paint is heres a video to show you the effect you get...

OK..time for shower i tell you boys i am SOOOOO over fiberglass my garage has a thin film of dust from it, now i have finished with it ( ::Sigh:: till i do the rear guard) i will be doing a spring clean over the weekend of the workshop...

Back soon gents have a ball tearer of a weekend :: buuuurp::

KiM

Back