Setup was the same basic setup and apparatus as the last post. I did a total of 6 more spinout tests with various torque plates and axles. Torque plate #1 and #6 were both from 1/8" mild steel from when I had the dropouts cut. Plate #2 was made from 1/8" stainless but without much metal width around the hole (just 5mm), while #3 is the same tight fitting 1/8" unit from eZee that was discussed in previous post. The 3/16" plates in #4 and #5 are both units from our current crop of torque arms. Here are the results:
# Material Thickness Axle Yield Force Yield Torque
1 mild steel 1/8Ã¢â‚¬Â 12mm 8.1 kg 24 N-m
2 stainless 1/8Ã¢â‚¬Â 12mm 7.8 kg 23 N-m
3 stainless 1/8Ã¢â‚¬Â 12mm 10.9 kg 32 N-m
4 stainless 3/16Ã¢â‚¬Â 12mm 18.8 kg 55 N-m
5 stainless 3/16Ã¢â‚¬Â 14mm 40 kg* 118 N-m*
6 mild steel 1/8Ã¢â‚¬Â 14mm 12 -16 kg 35 N-m
Comparing #2 and #3, we can see that the torque plate with only 5mm or metal around the hole (#2) was able to stretch out and deform, and hence spun out with about 1/3rd less torque than more or less the same plate from eZee that had a lot more material around it (10mm).
Comparing #1 with #3, it would seem that stainless steel is a little better than mild steel at resisting spinout.
Comparing #1 with #6, going from a 12mm to a 14mm axle with an 1/8" torque plate did improve the spinout strength, but not by as much as we would have expected. The 12mm axle spunout with 24 N-m. The 14mm axle had mostly given way at 35 N-m, but in order to make it do a full 180 degree rotation I recorded a peak of 16kg or 47 N-m
Comparing #3 and #4, increasing the torque plate thickness by just 50% from 1/8" to 3/16" had a significant effect on the spinout strength. Even with a 12mm axle the plate resisted 55 N-m before giving. When we then went to a 14mm axle with the 3/16" plate (#5) the torque was so strong that I couldn't actually get it to give way completely. At 32kg or 94 N-m the axle was starting to really deform the plate, but by 120 N-m which is all I could really apply it still hadn't spun all the way around. Here's what it looked like at that point:
And here is what the whole collection looked like after the test: