Wooden bicycles, lots of pics

A Long-Wheel-Base (LWB) recumbent. Lots of good building advice, also take note it has a rear suspension. It would not be difficult to redesign this with a break-apart joint in the center for storage or transportation...

http://www.time-compression.com/x/guideArchiveArticle.html?id=11046

bike-s1.jpg

b-frame2.jpg

I once had a bike with a wooden frame, wooden wheels, wooden gears, wooden seat, wooden batteries, wooden controller, and wooden motor.

It wooden go :D

Mike1 said:
I once had a bike with a wooden frame, wooden wheels, wooden gears, wooden seat, wooden batteries, wooden controller, and wooden motor.

It wooden go :D
hahaha...good one. i guess something like that wood be hard to build...lol

Just seems appropriate to add this video here (wooden motor!)
[youtube]u0I0Tg8sxYw[/youtube]

tks
LoKc

Lock said:
Just seems appropriate to add this video here (wooden motor!)
Revelstoke and other places of the BC hinterland had their own hydro powered generating stations for the nearby town.
The one in Revelstoke had huge wooden gears.
Mills, monasteries and militaries ran on wooden gears and shafts for much of their early history.

A recent show at the Vancouver Museum exhibited a third-world ambulance made of bamboo.
I've seen a few different bamboo trailers, lashed together with inner tubes, roaming Vancouver's streets.
Bamboo is relatively expensive compared to lashed together ladders, lawn chairs, kids bikes and baby trailers from the trash.

Use the materials at hand.

Zoot Katz said:
Revelstoke and other places of the BC hinterland had their own hydro powered generating stations for the nearby town.
The one in Revelstoke had huge wooden gears.
Mills, monasteries and militaries ran on wooden gears and shafts for much of their early history.

A recent show at the Vancouver Museum exhibited a third-world ambulance made of bamboo.
I've seen a few different bamboo trailers, lashed together with inner tubes, roaming Vancouver's streets.
Bamboo is relatively expensive compared to lashed together ladders, lawn chairs, kids bikes and baby trailers from the trash.

Use the materials at hand.

John Harrison was the man who invented the first marine chronometer, capable of accuracy sufficient to determine longitude. Harrison was originally a carpenter and joiner and created many clocks from wood, one of which, crafted in the early 1720's was at Brocklesby Park, North Lincolnshire. This clock operates to this day, and like his previous clocks has a wooden movement, oak and lignum vitae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison

that is a really good looking wood frame. nice find spinningmagnets

i found this one strange, but i like it for some reason
trifrnt.jpg

oddly shaped if i may say...lol

p.s. looks like a motor could be sneaked into that frame somewhere and hidden into the wedge-shaped frame. i kinda wanna build that thing now...lol

Great thread SpinningMagnets!!!

I'm amazed at the ingenuity displayed in this thread... it's awesome :mrgreen:

The old chinese carpenter crank bike seems to be the most resourceful of all the builds....
my hats off to all them. :lol:

From the Smithsonian collections:
View attachment Whalen&Janssen_1942.jpg

At the beginning of World War II, John T. Whalen, with Webster E. Janssen of the Janssen Piano Co., Inc., developed this laminated wood-frame bicycle to conserve critical materials yet provide essential transportation. Wood subsequently proved to be more critical than metal, so the bicycle was not marketed.

The fork, saddle, handlebars, and elliptical frame are of laminated wood. The wheels are of metal, with 36 tangential steel spokes, and are 24 inches in diameter, mounting 26-by-1.375-inch Goodyear tires and tubes.

A New Departure Model D coaster brake is incorporated in the rear-wheel hub, and the drive, by roller chain with metal sprockets and wooden pedals, is on the right side of the frame. Ball bearings are used throughout the machine.

The saddle is unsprung but is adjustable. There are no mudguards or chain guard, and no grips on the handlebars. The machine's weight is approximately 31 pounds.

tks
10cK

Thanks for the revival of this thread loCk, i'm a carpenter by trade and can really appreciate this stuff and i love that iron horse one, keep 'em coming mate

But, this is an e-vehicle forum. I didn't see a pic of a wooden battery or a wooden electric motor (or even ICE) anywhere! Where's the innovation, folks? :(

Cameron

Looking at that plywood bike frame, I reckon it'd be pretty straightforward for someone with a CNC router to make easy to assemble kits, a bit like the way stitch-and-glue small boat kits are sold. Plywood has excellent structural qualities when built into monocoque structures like this, plus it's an insulator, handy when it comes to sticking batteries inside the 'frame'.

Jeremy

I'd expect someone will provide the extrusions for the mech inserts and let communities like this develop open designs for the panels.

Edit: removed landmine. ES remains independent!

Back