This is a new thread for my continuation of Voicecoil's Giant DH Team build. It was a bit messy using the old thread.
I bought the frame from Voicecoils after it had been modified by Kurt, replacing the through axle rear dropouts with vertical dropouts with stainless reinforcements.
The original thread is here:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6475&start=225
This is actually the 5th frame I've built an e-bike with, hopefully I will get it right one day..
- 2003 Giant DH Team frame, modded by Kurt. A BMC/MAC Shanghai or Crystalyte motor fits in the dropouts nicely. The axle on a Bafang BPM Climber was too short (nice motor though).
- MAC Shanghai motor, fitted with a metal gear, although I fear it will be too noisy (stealth is important..).
- Infineon 18 FET Controller, a spare from Voicecoils. Overkill for this motor, I will have to drop the current back to ~30A, or I will kill the motor, and kill my range. Even so, at 60v 30A it has 100Nm of torque on the ebikes.ca simulator
The controller is programmable, so I have a few ways to control the current (program it, use controller throttle limit switches, or use CA override).
- 60v nominal, 10AH Headway batteries. A 48v pack + 4 booster cells for 20 cells total. 74v off charger, settles to 66v, then 60v under cruising load.
- 7 Speed rear, XTR short cage derailleur, 7 speed twist shifter on LH handlebar (upside down).
- 56t Chainring, I want to be able to pedal at speed (yes, I still pedal hard). Made possible by a 4 bolt to 5 bolt chainring adapter made by TPA. BIG THANKS TO TPA FOR SENDING THIS TO ME!!!
- Modded chainguide to stop chain falling off. It would only handle 48t stock. Will skip the lower roller/jocky wheel for now.
- Custom battery box on the way, the foam male cores have been milled. Now it needs fibreglassing + assembly + painting. Not carbon, it's too much of a PITA, and with a male mould I can hide the sins if I paint it....there will be sins to hide.. Will use some tough/rubbery wear resistant paint.
- Will get red Marzocchi Bomber Junior T Triple clamp forks from current ebike, sans front hub. And insane 5 x Cree Q5 front headlights, 1250 lumens total.
- Controller will mount on Downtube with an ally jiffy box holding my DC-DC converter and wiring bundle.