Friction rim drive

wheelbender6

100 W
Anybody tried one? I thought about it when I saw an old rim driven (resistance) bicycle trainer.
I was considering using one of the elastomer wheels from an oxygen scooter to drive the rim.
It may be possible to use a cantilever brake to engage the friction drive on the rim.
I'll sketch something up in AutoCad and create a materials list.

great idea, i always thought friction would be great. nice to see some more friction projects lately!! i always thought you could use the throttleizer to control power output for not slipping even when wet, kind of friction roller traction control. Are you going to drive both sides? or one side could just apply pressure, but both side drive would be pro....I know there is a french rim drive picture in some threads here.

mike

I know it´s possible to do a friction rim drive (like the French system someone posted) but I don´t really see any advantages over a tire drive. You have such a smaller contact area on the rim and I would rather replace a tire from time to time instead of a rim. Not to mention how easy it is to make a moving, self torque sensing, mount with a tire friction drive.

I would apply pressure to both sides of the rim, to keep the rim centered, but only one side would drive the rim.
I would probably need to roughen the suface of the rim for wet weather traction. Still many things to decide like
motor choice, motor orientation/mounting. etc.

Cybien:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9992&p=154306&hilit=Cybien#p154306

back in the late 80's there was a very similar Israeli kit called the "BIKIT" it had a pair of motors with rubber wheels mounted one on each side of the front rim. the mount attached to the front forks and the handlebars. there was a lever that would pivot the motors so that the wheels would contact the rim. the motors looked like the motors and gear box from a battery powered drill. the battery pack was made up from a bunch of "d" size nicads.

i've tried looking on the web but i can't find much info on that system.

rick

i was wrong. it drove against the sidewalls of the tires.640001.jpg640002.jpg640003.jpg

my excuse is that i am getting old. my memory is begining to suck

this was one of the first ebikes i ever rode. not having a comparison, i remember being being impressed back then. i wonder what it would be like now.

i found a partial copy of the manual. it's in the zip attachment. more details there.

rick

Attachments

• manual.zip
    601 KB · Views: 39
this some neat stuff.. Im seeing two small outrunners, positioned like that poster, but driving the rim on both sides. One motor for cruise, two for acceleration. . The rim itself is steel, no wear. Caliper mounts plus reinforcments to hold the motor mount. hand engagement via cables , tilting of motors and drive wheels. freewheeling inherent.

You guys read my mind. I had thought of this idea a few months ago and just started to piece my parts together.

Back