3 ebike Alarm Sytems

Green Machine

100 kW
E-biking in the city an alarm system is a must. Its impossible to keep my mind on my drink with my expensive ebike locked to a post outside.

I have tested 2 different systems and have ordred a 3rd.

The first one was very basic...http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MOTO-OR-BICYCLE-REMOTE-SHAKING-BURGLAR-ALARM-A05_W0QQitemZ270553456862QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efe3e20de

A 15 dollar remote activated alarm with vibration sensor...alarm.jpg

The advantage of this system is cheap and simple.

The problem is i think some type of pager system is a must...esp considering false alarms. This system is susceptable to false alarms by the way.

So what i did was looked into motorcycle alarm systems... i have a dc/dc convertor on the bike so its no problem to run 12 volts.

Here is the 2nd system i tested...

Gorilla 7017 with pager...$136

View attachment 1

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-7017-Motorcycle-Paging/dp/B000GZXAEC

This thing almost does it...for a lot of people this might be sufficient. It has a sensitivity adjustment on its vibration sensor and has a silent mode where the alarm just pages you without setting off the audio alarm (a lot of fun in conjunction with a good taser).

On paper the alarm looks really nice because it says it has a half mile range. In reality it does not have anywhere close to this range...and the pager is only useful when the bike is right outside the bar / restaurant.

The other big problem with this alarm is turning off or unplugging the battery really messes it up....it is kind of quirky and buggy...instead of trying to work through the bugs i gave up and decided to try another system.

...so i went home and googled the hell out of it..and came up with the dream alarm system that is just being released this week... :eek:

It seems like the Scorpio Rlink is the shiat...and at 600 dollars it better be.

alarm3.jpg

This alarm features a gps lowjack like feature that allows you to track your bike if its stolen...in fact if your bike is stolen you have an emergency # to call and scorpio will work with the police to help you get your bike back, and an alarm that uses gsm cell coverage to call u on your phone if anyone messes with your bike....so basically the remote on this thing has an unlimited range. Not only that it has a perimeter sensor which can alert you if anyone comes within 5 feet of your bike. It has a battery back up which is nice because if someone kills the power it will set off the alarm and alert you. This is a top of the line motorcycle alarm that has all types of sensitivity adjustments etc to limit false alarms.

The "i gotta have it" feature of this alarm is an iphone app that not only allows you to see your bikes location at any time, but also it will track your rides, and automatically upload them to twitter, facebook or a website of your choice. You just log on either via iphone or web browser and you can see the ride history of your bike...unbelievable for mapping your ebike features.

I should have this alarm next week and will document how well it works...its kind of risky for me buying this alarm since it is so new there are no reviews about it. But scorpio is a top notch company with a stellar reputation..and they assured me a money back guarantee and want to see someone put this thing on an ebike.

that looks great...be fun to get to catch somebody stealing my bike (taser haha my friend actually got tased, almost hit him in the nipples!!!) . as it is I take my bike with me into the store or whatever, i wont leave it outside at all, just like a nice real bike. Ive found that you dont leave a nice DH bike (the only nice looking bike IMO, Im sure you could leave a folding walmart bike on the rack all day) outside locked up or not for any length of time. (mabye 5 min maX). With this alarm it may become possible!! I have been waiting for a device like this, I think the gps is a nice feature. In the spirit of the sphere.....here is one a bit cheaper probably:

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/6450530/GPS_Motorcycle_Alarm_Tracking_System.html

Any DIY devices out there for alarms?

Yeah i am not kidding about the taser.

I actually carry one when packing the alarm.

Catching someone in the act of trying to strip your bike is an ackward moment. Taser is an easy solution.

Plus first time i tase someone i am going to have a hell of a story.

I will keep you guys posted...maybe with a youtube video that makes me famous :)

I have been thinking of putting a trap bike with the alarm tracker on it and when someone steals it track him down on electric bikes :)...what fun...bicycle thief hunting for sport.

now thats nice, id like to see how the 15$ one works, tho could possibly consider something better once my kits installed, thing is u wanna lockup all connections otherwise its pretty useless, how exactly does it sense vibration?

thedarlington said:
now thats nice, id like to see how the 15$ one works, tho could possibly consider something better once my kits installed, thing is u wanna lockup all connections otherwise its pretty useless, how exactly does it sense vibration?

The fifteen dollar system effectively goes off with any bump to the bike...this could be a hard wind as well i suspect. These alarms are very loud...over 100 decibals..even the 15 dollar system has a piercing alarm. That has good and bad obviously...the bad mostly dealing with false alarms. The good are these things are so freaking loud that they will draw a lot of attention, and they are so high pitched and piercing, its hard to tell where at in the saddle bag you have it hidden.

The 2nd system ($130) has both a tilt sensor which is a small piece at the end of a wire that you have to mount somewhere on your bike. I havent tested enough to know whether this is really needed...but basically its taking into account that motorcycles are parked on a kickstand...if someone puts the bike right side up it sets it off. Also the system has a shock sensor with 5 different levels of sensitivity.

The Ilink sytem ($600) i havent got my hands on yet to test (should have it next week)...but according to write ups it has a tilt sensor built into the main unit (the unit is the size of a deck of playing cards), a shock sensor (adjustable), a battery cut off sensor (will set alarm off if someone cuts your electrical system), and a perimeter sensor...the perimiter sensor is really cool...and can sense if someone is within 10 feet of your bike..it has different parameters...but basically as they get closer it sends out a warning chirp, and once they get within a few feet it sets off the alarm and texts an alert to your cell phone. You can set the perimeter sensor to different sensitivities.

Just got word from scorpio alarms that i have been shipped one of the very first rlink alarm systems to hit the market.

I am taking a huge risk purchasing a product this new...but if this thing is half of what the manufacture claims it is..its going to be amazing.

Fed ex delivery early next week....

extremegreenmachine said:
I am taking a huge risk purchasing a product this new...
Not sure watt portion of insurance premium if any for the vehicle covers theft, but I'd try a chat w/my inse. agent about how capable the system is... state-of-the-art yadda yadda... maybe get the premium reduced a little?
Just a thought
Lock

ok, im hooked. Rlink for me too. Scream like a girl lol Well smack my arse and call me Sally! I kinda like the 140db train horn! If they shyte themselves theyll be easier to track!

The real key to the RLink for me is i am doing big rides nearly daily / nightly on my bike and have no document of it.

I am curious for example how many miles i have put on my bike.

The Rlink keeps a running odometer of all your rides...and documents on google maps the entire ride. You can upload your latest ride from any web browser,or from your iphone, and do what you want with the map...put it on facebook, twitter, or endless-sphere.

Hopefully it will do what it says...but if it does i am going to be able to document all these amazing rides i have been doing which is great.

Plus all the other features mentioned earlier...message me on my phone when someone messes with parked bike etc etc.

I still cant park my bike anywhere without worrying about it...with a good alarm system that is going to be fixed.

AND, like silversurfer said...if someone does manage to get through the lock and jack the bike, i can track them down at my leisure and then tase there arse :D :D :D

I really think my strategy will be keep the alarm silent so not only can i catch thieves in the act, but also they wont realize there is alarm/tracking device so they cant simply find it and pitch it...this way if they steal it they ride away not expecting i am right behind them :)

Installed the rlink last night..it was an easy fast installation.

Its kind of wierd...because it does not have a built in siren (siren is optional) so you dont get the chirping etc to know if its working. Its sort of like a high quality black box with some wires coming out of it...obviously a high quality product..but still..no real way to test.

I went ahead and activated the data plan, and go to this webpage myrlink...log in...and boom, a google map comes up with the location of my bike.

Now it sends me texts messages if anyone gets within the perimeter of the bike, if the battery is disconnected, and if the bike is shocked or tilt.

It seem like a really well done interface

SilverSurfer said:
ok, im hooked. Rlink for me too. Scream like a girl lol Well smack my arse and call me Sally! I kinda like the 140db train horn! If they shyte themselves theyll be easier to track!

Hello Silver!

I have noticed that you are looking for some security system for your ebike. In fact, the controller that you purchased from me has a built-in security feature that you can easily activate to lock your wheel. So no one can move your ebike. The way it works is by connecting a couple pads location will engage the feature and cause the hub motor to stand still until you release it. :)

Regards,
Lyen

It would be sick to enable the ignition from the key fob too I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Scorpio-SR-i900-Motorcycle-Alarm-4020-0052/dp/B001ALY14Y/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3

Since I'm dreaming I'm going big. No reason I couldn't set this up on my bike with an wireless ignition setup.

I just spent 700 bucks on A1234 cells for The Rapture, else Id be doin the Rlink already~! The hub lock is great idea. Of course I use my Street Cuffs from Masterlock, but I would sure love the security of knowing that if its actually messed with or gone, I could get a FAST track on the location to try to retireve it before its tore down or tore up! SS

Lyen said:
SilverSurfer said:

Hello Silver!

I have noticed that you are looking for some security system for your ebike. In fact, the controller that you purchased from me has a built-in security feature that you can easily activate to lock your wheel. So no one can move your ebike. The way it works is by connecting a couple pads location will engage the feature and cause the hub motor to stand still until you release it. :)

Regards,
Lyen

Ok just got back from my first ride with the new alarm system.

As a tracker it is unbelivable.

I got back and logged into my rlink account and got a map of my ride...i could literally retrace every turn and every stop.

Let me see..i went to my favorite bar in golden gate park, then went to see my x-wife play poker for about 30 minutes..then went to visit my friend Nick (mr electric) and talk electric bikes for a little while, and then zoom to another favorite bar in SF for a bannana split and believe it or not let 3 girls i met at the bar ride my bike in celebration of "earth day" knowing full well if one of them rode off with it i could always track them down and stun gun them :0 ....

Anyway got home just now and first thing i did was log into my rlink account and the entire ride is documented under a map tab...its some web based google map like function and is see my route...including all side tracks with a red line, avg mile per hour...time stopped etc....i guess if you guys are really interested i can share my name and password for the rlink account as long as you guys promise not to do anything funky....it is earth day remember.

I guess i am not ready to do any serious testing until

#1 I lost my iphone and am in the process of getting it replaced..once its replaced i will be texted when anyone tampers with my bike.

#2 I install the optional siren (60 bucks) that hasnt even been released by the company. Its really wierd to buy a 600 dollar alarm system that does not come standard with a siren...really wierd. ALthough i am still happy with how it seems to function its really not an alarm system at all becuase there is no deterrent. BUt if someone does steal my bike i can track them down and stun them...for sure...it would take a really smart crook to know to unplug and throw away the rlink. It is in essence a silent alarm with a tracking device.

#3 Tomorrow illia is going to install some 12 volt lights inside the bag that flash when the alarm is activated..this way we atleast know when the alarm is activated and can set the settings on the alarm. THis alarm is suppose to be connected to the turn signals of a motorcycle, and without the siren you rely on turn signals for signals...by the way i am very much opposed to installing directional lights on my bike.

I am sorry to say i am in no condition to test without iphone, siren, or lights....i am pretty much completely in the dark...but it is way assuring to know if my bike does come up missing i can go home, log in and then see exactly where my bike is at....basically all i am saying..after many drinks and a banana split...that i am a few days from really testing this thing...but i know for sure it is doing a really good job of tracking the bike based on the map of my trip i am seeing.

Great review of the "bonus" feature being a online trip loger. Excellent! If I could hide one in my wifes purse..... DOH!

Having turn signals is dorky, but a $600 alarm for an ebike to make you more comfortable while drinking is okay.??????????????

Whats with the question marks?????????? Sentence makes more sense with just the period "."

John in CR said:
Having turn signals is dorky, but a $600 alarm for an ebike to make you more comfortable while drinking is okay.??????????????

You know the security system on Blade's sword? the titanium one that kills vampires?

bike handlebars anyone? :twisted:

SilverSurfer said:
Whats with the question marks?????????? Sentence makes more sense with just the period "."

John in CR said:

I'm sorry, the question marks were out of laziness and were supposed to represent all of the questions that come to mind regarding a summation of statements made by extremegreenmachine. If I saw his bike parked on the sidewalk, it would be difficult for me not to mess with it and then dare him to come and tase me. With any luck he'd be too drunk and end up tasing himself, while I catch it all on video for some real laughs.

I do, however, appreciate the research and effort that went into his review of the alarms systems.

John in CR said:
SilverSurfer said:

John in CR said:

I'm sorry, the question marks were out of laziness and were supposed to represent all of the questions that come to mind regarding a summation of statements made by extremegreenmachine. If I saw his bike parked on the sidewalk, it would be difficult for me not to mess with it and then dare him to come and tase me. With any luck he'd be too drunk and end up tasing himself, while I catch it all on video for some real laughs.

I do, however, appreciate the research and effort that went into his review of the alarms systems.

John in CR... I think you would enjoy this movie called "Revenge of the Nerds"...however this thread is about alarm systems and i would appreciate if you wouldnt jack this thread because your still stuck on your flashing directional light on your ass thing. I think one great benefit of directional lights is when you lock your dorkster mobile no one even thinks twice about stealing it cuz they are afraid what there friends might think riding that heap home. Think pee wee herman bicycle....looks flashy...but who would want to be seen riding it much less steal it?

And your logic is really wacky that somehow i am skewed for not believing in directional lights but believing in a hidden alarm. I also dont believe in bumpers, orange blinky safety vests, orange flags, horns...so you see i am consistent. But i dont know how an alarm system fits in your definition of safety equipment....and a taser for that matter.

And about your weird fantasy, how does one tase themselve accidently? And if you do mess with my bike and dont have a good respectable explanation when you do get confronted by me i will gladly tase you...I got a laser sight on my taser so i am pretty sure i am not going to miss you and hit my foot or something.There is a reason many cops carry tasers these days...they are easy as hell to use, super effective, and non lethal. So you will be able to write later about your experience getting tased pretending to steal an ebike here on the groups..wear your bicycle helmet when you do it because i heard the only way you can seriously injure yourself is hitting your head when you hit the ground...

By the way i just received 10 tasers direct from china and will sell to anyone on the group for my price of $50 dollars each...also recieved assortment of stun guns all under 10 dollars each...i got two big boxes of these. Also got some very cheap luggage alarms in the shipment for under $5 that would work ok as bicycle alarms...i will test a few of those and post in this thread later. I got all these samples direct from a factory in china. Message me if interested....

Back