Cycle Analyst / Logomatic software UPDATED!

UPDATE: The issues concerning mixed-up screen images that several (actually, many) users reported have been fixed. Also, capability to show regeneration parameters has been added. If you have your display set to 96 dpi (the Windows default), the program will display correctly down to 1024 x 768 pixel resolution. For those with poor eyesight (like me) who have set their display for 120 dpi, it'll work down to 1280x1024 pixels.

I've had great enjoyment riding my recumbent the last 12 years, doing many long-distance rides and tours. But as I got into my seventies, it became apparent that my speed and endurance was degrading, especially after I contracted diabetes. Climbing was especially hard last season -- crawling up a mountain pass at 3.5 mph takes a loooong time! Instead of sitting in my rocking chair and watching the grass grow, I decided to add an EcoSpeed mid-drive electric-assist to my bike. I figured that I could pedal just as hard as before but could climb at double my old speed. But I'd need data to estimate how much battery to carry and how much amperage to allocate for flats, climbing, etc.

A Cycle Analyst and a Logomatic V2 seems to be the perfect combination for collecting information specific to a person's bike, electric system, and riding style. All that was lacking is a means to display it in a usable form. I enjoy programming, even though I'm terribly slow and make a lot of mistakes. I have written a program in MIcrosoft Visual Basic 6 (Windows only, sorry Mac users) that might be of some value to the forum. It'll display amp-hr, volts, amps, watts, watt-hr, and speed as a function of ride time, plus average and maximum statistics for various ride parameters. Here're screen shots of my "E-DATA" program window showing data from my first electric-assisted ride and of a typical regen ride:
No regen 1HZ, english units.pngRegen 5Hz, metric units.png

The setup program will install E-DATA and the required auxiliary Visual Basic files onto a Windows computer. I have tested it Windows XP amd Windows 7. A description of the program's features is in the included ReadMe. I included sample Logomatic data files for those of you who don't have a CA/Logomatic and wish to try out the program.
View attachment Setup.zip

EDITED 3 Sep 2011: Re-uploaded files lost during the server change.
EDITED 22 July 2100: Somehow, a number of photos and files in the forum database were corrupted and are not viewable. I have reloaded my files and they now are OK.

Awesome! I am so happy to see this and try it out. It looks like a great has everything I would have thought to include and a great excuse to make my first post. My only issue so far is that it seems to be automatically sizing the window for me and I can't see much of the data or resize the window.

Thanks so much for putting this together OlderThanDirt and I'm excited to see what people will do with it.

Mark @ Renaissance

I was trying to find a way to get the charts without having to import all the raw data into excel or something. This should work MUCH better.

Cheers!

Hi OlderThanDirt:

After reading through your readme, I should probably be more explicit about my problem and my computer setup in order for you to help.

My resolution is 1280x1024 and I've attached a screenshot of what I see with the program running. Do I need at least 1200 pixels on the horizontal to display the program properly? You should be able to see in the attached image that the legend display on the left is cramped too, in addition to not displaying all the data and the right side legend.

Attachments

• E-DATA resolution.jpg
    E-DATA resolution.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 8,906
Everything worked fine in the VB6 development environment but VB6 seems to report different window widths when the code is compiled. I've got a work-around now and it seems to work at 1280 x 1024. Any less resolution and things get smushed together.

Sorry about that! :oops:

EDITED:
Use version EDATA 1.3, available on the first post in this topic.

Hi folks,

Mark@Renaissance is having problems using the program with monitor resolutions different than the 1600 x 1200 that I designed it on. The ver 1.1 modification was supposed to fix that, AND IT DID on a 1280 x 1024 monitor that I borrowed to confirm the fix. But it's still messes up on his system.

For those of you who have downloaded and tried the program, have you had any problems with the display not adjusting to your monitor resolution? It should work from 1280 x 1024 up to 1920 x 1200 at least. Info on your monitor and operating system may help me figure this out for Mark.

Thanks!

Both versions display similar to his on my 1280x1024.

Windows XP Pro Sp2
Core2Duo
NVidia GeForce 6600 GT PCIE v6.14.11.6921
Intel brand motherboard (don't recall model)
Samsung SyncMaser 191T

Also, Edata.exe does not shutdown even after I close it. It does close the window it started, but the process continues running until I end it in Task Manager.

first of all ! Superjob ,well done Olderthandirt!
I was looking for such a easy2use program to show the CA data.
I have the same misplaced screens . no full viewing as your example.

i am running W7 x64 screen 1440 x 900

gonna try it again on work which runs on XP with a screen 1920 x 1024

is it possible to make the program catch the data from the serial input and then show it realtime ?

I tried E-Data 1.2 on my W7 setup and it's perfect !
Today i drove to work for the first time with my scooter. It went superb! as you can see on the graph i drove 51km with 19.15 Ah
I used a 22S4P setup with all 5A6S turnigy's. See screenshot E-Data 1.2

LOG02-2.png

I've fixed all the problems that have been brought to my attention. If any of you find others, please let me know!
EDATA 1.3 is now the latest update.

Thanks,
Jim

tried to instal 1.3 but i got an error while doing it.

error.png

so i couldn't test it.

I don't have any ideas why my fancy store-bought installer is showing an install error.

Which operating system are you trying to install on? I know from your previous post that Ver 1.2 worked on Windows 7, and I see from your recent post on "120% timing" that Ver 1.2 is still working for you. Did you try to install over Ver 1.2?

If Ver 1.2 is still working on your system, all you need to do to use Ver 1.3 is to copy its executable to your hard drive and run it. All the supporting files are the same as for Ver 1.2 and, if Ver 1.2 is running on the same system, all those files are already present.

Here's the 1.3 executable, see if it works . . .

Attachments

• E-DATA 1.3.zip
    53.3 KB · Views: 227
Works perfect !! Thanx dude! 8)

Is there a guide on how to interface the CA with the Logomatic v2? I would like to be able to use the E-Data program also, but can't seem to find any instructions on how the CA hooks up to the Logomatic v2.

TJG

I just saw this program, and WOW! How cool! Awesome work olderthandirt!

Also, I think I've seen your red-fairing bent riding along the trail by the lake that runs along bothel way around the Kenmore area. :) If it was you, I didn't even notice it was electric!

MrKang, I must be a complete ditz. I didn't understand a word of what you said when you wrote"and then connected the TTL output from the CA into the input of the Data Logger."

Would you mind making a step by step guide for just hooking up the CA to the Data Logger for me, and for any future ditz's who happen to read this thread? :roll:

Thank you!

TJG

The Journey Guy said:
MrKang, I must be a complete ditz. I didn't understand a word of what you said when you wrote"and then connected the TTL output from the CA into the input of the Data Logger."

Would you mind making a step by step guide for just hooking up the CA to the Data Logger for me, and for any future ditz's who happen to read this thread? :roll:

Thank you!

TJG

I asume you allready opened up your CA.
On the CA's PCB you see some empty connection openings.
One of them reads: TTL and one of them GND

This is the serial data output of the CA. These two wires are going to be connected to the Datalogger PCB labeled
GND and RX01

that's it basicly...these are the only steps...

The Journey Guy said:
Is there a guide on how to interface the CA with the Logomatic v2? I would like to be able to use the E-Data program also, but can't seem to find any instructions on how the CA hooks up to the Logomatic v2.

TJG

Hi Journey Guy,

It sounds like you have got it now, but if you or anyone else needs a little more info, there is a short document with a picture here:

http://ebikes.ca/drainbrain/CA_Logomatic_Hookup.pdf

Hi Olderthandirt, I tried to download your setup file but am told the file is corrupt. I've tried on 2 machines (both running Vista). Any idea's?

Cheers,

Steve

My forum database files seemed to have been "corrupted" sometime during the last year. I have re-uploaded them to the database and now they seem to be OK.

I hope that the program will be useful to you! :)

Unfortionatly still no go. Whilst installing I get a message that "An error occurred while trying to copy stdole2.tlb ". A google search shows this to be a common problem with VB6 and Vista with no easy fix, looks like I'm out of luck.

Thanks for trying though, I'm sure it will be useful to other XP users;)

Steve

Jozzer said:
Unfortionatly still no go. Whilst installing I get a message that "An error occurred while trying to copy stdole2.tlb ".

I got the same error. I clicked "Ignore" in the dialog box and the installation continued and completed. I had specified to have the program create a desktop shortcut, however, the desktop icon was a generic one. When I double-clicked it, it tried to find the file. I clicked the Browse button and the dialog box showed the E-DATA 1.3 folder. I clicked the E-DATA 1.3.exe and the icon changed to the correct one. I launched the program, loaded a sample text file, tried changing the scale, clicked all the buttons and everything seems to work!

Thanks Older...

Oh, one other small issue. the directory that the program creates in the Start Menu is called, "E-DATA 1.3 1.3". No biggie.

Thanks again. What a great program!

Ambrose

Is there any way to incorporate the gps data into this program? I am interested in being able to plot gps speed and elevation change over time along with the CA serial data over time. Then maybe pull out the max gps speed and min/max elevations??

I may also just write a matlab program that can hopefully do this as well, but that will take me sometime awhile to do that as I havent used the program in awhile.

Thanks
Kyle

Back