Why are you here?

Why are you here?

• Regulations have caused me to abandon sweet petrol.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Electric is the future!

Votes: 69 46.0%
  • I dislike financially supporting the middle east.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I dislike financially supporting terrorists through supporting the middle east.

Votes: 31 20.7%
  • I like certain characteristics of electric propulsion. (Explain)

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Gas price spikes had me running for something more sustainable.

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • National security.

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • Because I'm an electricity nerd and I must display my nerdy prowess!

Votes: 47 31.3%
  • Because I'm a vendor of products related to electric vehicles.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Because electric propulsion is the right thing to do.

Votes: 49 32.7%
  • Because I care about the environment.

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • Other (explain).

Votes: 40 26.7%
  • Because I'm concerned about human-induced climate change.

Votes: 27 18.0%
  • Because I'm interested in sustainable technology.

Votes: 64 42.7%
  • Because I dislike pollution that harms human health (Increase in carcinogenic risk, impact on the he

Votes: 52 34.7%

• Total voters
aliahlewis said:
I am here because I wanted to be here. :wink:

Really? I was under the impression you had a gun up to your head. Not being forced to be here is totally surprising.

(btw, I want to eat cake. What's the reason that I eat cake? Because it tastes good. Not because I want to eat it. The reason I want to do something is not just because I want to - that's circular logic.

For comparison - "The sky is blue because it's blue". Really? It has nothing to do with Rayleigh scattering?)

Because ... I got no where else to go!

[youtube]HiIZLDeMOg0[/youtube]

[youtube]80pf5lmDmhg[/youtube]

Certain characteristics of electric propulsion are interesting because...

INSTANT TORQUE. 'Nuff said! :D

I like to bicycle to work but after 12 hrs on a graveyard shift the 7 miles back to home with a killer hill at the end didn't seem attractive to me.
I did do it a few times. Then I heard about Electric motors.
Did some research, don't know how I originally came here, but bought a WE 36v with sla.
The Sla was also killer, because it did not help me that much on the last hill.

Then there is Lithium!!!!!!
Told the girlfriend she was no longer my true love, my lithium battery was.

Then all the other reasons in the poll fell in place.

Biking is fun, but not when you have to wear yourself out just to get home from your job.

PedalingBiped said:
I like to bicycle to work but after 12 hrs on a graveyard shift the 7 miles back to home with a killer hill at the end didn't seem attractive to me.
you know, I got my job driving a bicycle taxi to pay for my e-whateveryouwantocallit project and I've found that the job increased my lust for electric propulsion. because I can tell you one thing, after pulling literally tons of fatass red sox fans up and down ipswitch street all night the last thing I want to do is get on my regular bicycle and pedal five miles home. seriously, I probably do anywhere between 15 and 20 rides any given game night and thats a one and a half mile round trip on a 150lb bike and anywhere between 150 and 500lbs of passengers half of that round trip.

Other.

I am a "bit" frustrated", for my wife and wanted to do something fun.

I bought our family a piece of land (costed 120 000€) to build us a new home.

It would cost to build the house 420 000€ and we had everything going as planned, but then my wife got second toughts.

Now im stuck, cause i need her signature as well on the loan, and she "isnt sure" anymore :twisted:

So i tought, "F*ck it", ill do something else, bought new tyres for my harley, ordered a ebike kit and wondered what the f*ck is going on.

[End therapy rant\]

I liked riding my regular bike to work, but ended up being sweaty and dizzy when I arrived. I love being outside in the beautiful southern california weather.

The ebike allows me to ride everyday without worry about smelling bad.

It also appeals to my cheap-ass side by saving gas $ and hope to reduce by one car soon.

It also appeals to my geek side and has become a nice hobby.

I voted other and the reason is that I like riding bikes anyway its a type of freedom but I usually do this on cycleways or or in the bush doing a bit of dirt bashing, the extra power of the electric motor makes it easier to mix it with traffic enableing me to accelerate into a gap or get out of the way of traffic and also the cost saving from buying fuel

Other..
I love bicycles, and long explorative rides. An eBike is the best way to do that, when hills come to play.

I am first and foremost a pedaler. I just don't want to be daunted by hills.

Coen said:
So i tought, "F*ck it", ill do something else, bought new tyres for my harley, ordered a ebike kit and wondered what the f*ck is going on.
[End therapy rant\]

Interesting, that's kinda what got me into eBikes. I work from home so i no longer have a commute. The primary use of one of my bicycles will be to basically explore the cities nearby, mostly at night... just to blow off some steam and have fun.

Too bad there's no wanderlust/therapy option.

liveforphysics said:
But even more than all that, the ability to use non-roads, like bike paths, trails, parks, etc.

Hell yeah. That's why i loved bikes in the first place. An electric motor just sweetens the deal and extends the freedom so much more. You can even ride stealth and nobody'd know..

After living in Portland for nine years biking walking busing I moved to Kansas City and was in literal shock :shock:
to be back in the car culture again. So I do it to basically fry the brains of the sheeple while in the meantime saving bucks and getting
so decent moderate excersize.

It always amazes me that with the unlimited power of choice that we have in this country why most still conform to the norm
sure they are gettin er' done (40+hrs) but why not be smart. What ever I'll be lobbing grenades from the seat of my billy goat e bike
when the serious urban warfare starts.

In 1979 I went to work for US Electricar. It's now 2012. Nothing has changed, really, except US Electricar is out of business. I live closer to work now than I did then. The smog is just as bad now as then. Now, I do the trip on a bicycle. When it's electric, great. Much of the time it's needing repairs, so then, it's just a bike. I got hooked on electric transportation 33 years ago, and that feeling persists to this day. Some people are at home driving a big V8, while others are at home with a very modest power plant. I'm one of the "others".

I'm just here for all the chicks.

:roll: :wink:

**crickets chirping**

:mrgreen:

Definitely an electronics geek (plan to build my own esc).
Would at some point like a motorcycle, but as insurance is ridiculous hear ($3500 for the first year even after taking the course).
No insurance is needed for electric bikes (under a certain power).

Because I think it's cool to do something different...
I wanted to start a project I thought I could be proud of when I completed.

Because most folks here are more experienced than me using electricity for propulsion.
View vehicles as tools.
Retired in tiny town.
Don't need ice vehicles anymore.

You left out "health reasons." I am 81 years old with COPD and bad knees. I just don't have the strength or stamina any more to ride a bike on anything other than level ground. I need the assist of an electric motor.

Everybody who uses the road makes it slightly harder for everybody else to use the road; electrobiking seems to minimize the trouble I cause other people.
Bikes are tiny and unobtrusive,
they don't protect me like a car would so I don't get complacent and hit people,
noise pollution annoys people even more than they're willing to complain it does,
a faster bike slows other traffic down less than a slower one,
and unlike gas burners it's acceptable to take electrobikes inside buildings, keeping them out of the way.

That and the whole industry and culture of cars disgusts me.

Back