giant lafree

cassschr1

10 kW
What do you think is the highest voltage possible for these .....safely...without destroying original circuitry. I've got 2 of these bikes , from the Denver area. Your thoughts?

24Vnominal hot off the charger would be just shy of 30V. any more and you will fry something inside of it's delicate CPU/controller. and i don't just think it is so, i know it as a fact.

if you want to up the voltage you'll have to modify the bike and replace the controller. you will loose the functionality of the pedalec since none of the aftermarket controllers will understand the function of the pedal sensors. you would also have to add a throttle to control the motor instead.

rick

i always considered the 2000 to 2006 Giant Lafree with it's through crank drive unit one of the best 24V pedelecs out there. too bad Giant spent so much time screwing it up after 2006.

for lots of tips on how to deal with this bike try this website:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/flecc/

tons of info on the bikes, how they work and what bits can be repaired. also how to change the drive sprockets to get either higher speed or torque.

personally i think that they mostly got it right (for a EU spec 250W bike) and only missed the boat by not offering the Shimano AI-4S35 Auto-D electronically shifting 4speed hub as an available option. they also should have offered a higher power North American version with a higher speed limit. Likely would have gained more acceptance then. but all in all this was a good unit.

rick

cassschr1 said:
What do you think is the highest voltage possible for these .....safely...without destroying original circuitry. I've got 2 of these bikes , from the Denver area. Your thoughts?

Sport voltage maximum is rite around 30v.

Do you have the Lafree Sport with SLa's or Lite with NIMH?

If you have a Sport, replacing the SLA with Lith Iron Ph can be advantageous. Sports have a good brushed motor/transmission that can take 1000w and 36v easily with different controller; but throtle based- no auto pedal assist.

I have two Lites and ride one often. not as much opportunity for modifying as the sport.

Me-Also in colorado

d

These were the 2 bikes from that camper place in auroua, co . I believe you replaced the batteries, He said you were a friend of his.This was last summer. The bikes were mens blue and womans red, both SLA and in very good shape. Cass

Back