50cc auto scooter conversion to electric (with video)

great work!!

I have just bought a motor (on back order) and searching for a scoot know. :D

If i can make it pull wheelies and a top speed of 45 I will be more than happy.

richerson said:
great work!!

I have just bought a motor (on back order) and searching for a scoot know. :D

If i can make it pull wheelies and a top speed of 45 I will be more than happy.

My scoot project has can to a bit of a standstill for the moment, I have been waiting to find the time to take it out on some private roads for some serious testing. It pulls like a train with a 70A limit @ 44v ( the motor was not even braking sweat ) and yes the front do get very light so Im sure it will wheelie with a little bit of a pull up :mrgreen: The top speed of my scoot isnt confirmed yet on a longer run but the limiting testing that I have done on a fully charged battery 50v it reaches 40'ish mph this is with all stock gearing ( except the rollers are a lot heavier ) more voltage or re-gear the back wheel will easy push you over the 45mph mark :wink:

p.s. PM sent.

This is a question regarding scoots in general. They seem to come in 49cc, 100cc, 150cc, 180cc, 250cc, but above 150 they are pretty massive.

How many horsepower does each one have?

I'm starting a few inquiries relating to finding a scoot with a dead IC engine...

Katou

katou said:
This is a question regarding scoots in general. They seem to come in 49cc, 100cc, 150cc, 180cc, 250cc, but above 150 they are pretty massive.

How many horsepower does each one have?

I'm starting a few inquiries relating to finding a scoot with a dead IC engine...

Katou

Stock scoots have very small HP 49cc around 3HP at the crank, I currently ride a maxi scooter, 500cc and it only produces 39HP at the crank, the 125cc are around 10hp ,250cc around 18hp. I think its been said before in this thread look for a 125cc or above as this will have better gearing for faster speeds i.e around 65mph with the gas engine running at around 8-10krpm. The small scoots <125cc will be around 50-55mph between 8-10krpm

Very nice build Gwhy!
Still I'm curious about efficiency. 40A no load and 70A peak indicates a horrible loss.

I think of building a push-trailer for my recumbent based on your scooter swing arm design.
If only the HXT motors will be on stock some day! :x
Do you think this one would be suitable? It's even cheaper and on stock :twisted:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7710&Product_Name=TGY_AerodriveXp_160_SK_Series_63-64_230Kv_/_3150W

-Olaf

olaf-lampe said:
Very nice build Gwhy!
Still I'm curious about efficiency. 40A no load and 70A peak indicates a horrible loss.

I think of building a push-trailer for my recumbent based on your scooter swing arm design.
If only the HXT motors will be on stock some day! :x
Do you think this one would be suitable? It's even cheaper and on stock :twisted:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7710&Product_Name=TGY_AerodriveXp_160_SK_Series_63-64_230Kv_/_3150W

-Olaf

Hi Olaf,
Yes the jury is still out as regard efficiency ( The 40A is the min current when running the scoot 70A is max no matter what hills or load ( its current limited )).
Yes I think that motor you pointed to would do the job very well... I really need to get my scoot for a long run to really find out the efficiecy :(

I think with a bit more care in mounting the motor this could be brought down to around 30A min and with that motor that you pointed to maybe even down to 20-25A .

I've been toying with this idea as well, Find a little piaggio scoot with a blown motor and rework it for electric. Thanks for make the how-to:D

Freakin awesome Gwhy!!!! :twisted:

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I just read the whole thing and am now scouring the countryside for free donor scooter. :| You do amazing work and your changes and tweaks are so methodical, definately inspirational. Thanks you for providing this with plenty of detailed pics. I have a few questions though.

In terms of cooling the controller, where did you end up mounting the 12fet? I wonder if strapping it under the foot platform with maybe a scoop to direct air over it migh get the job done.

You are not nearly pushing the limits of that motor but have you thought about replacing the bearings if you haven't already, this could give you alot more efficiency that would only improve with speed.

I like how you covered the motor, very stealth. But if you want yo make some cash on the side, leave it open and let the ICE guys laugh, challenge them to a race, collect earnings. :wink:

etard said:
Freakin awesome Gwhy!!!! :twisted:

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I just read the whole thing and am now scouring the countryside for free donor scooter. :| You do amazing work and your changes and tweaks are so methodical, definately inspirational. Thanks you for providing this with plenty of detailed pics. I have a few questions though.

In terms of cooling the controller, where did you end up mounting the 12fet? I wonder if strapping it under the foot platform with maybe a scoop to direct air over it migh get the job done.

You are not nearly pushing the limits of that motor but have you thought about replacing the bearings if you haven't already, this could give you alot more efficiency that would only improve with speed.

I like how you covered the motor, very stealth. But if you want yo make some cash on the side, leave it open and let the ICE guys laugh, challenge them to a race, collect earnings. :wink:

Thanks etard,

The controller when I was testing was just under the seat along with the battery's ( no air cooling at all ) when I do get round to mount it properly it will go under the rear wheel arch for some forced air cooling from the back wheel. This project has sort of been put on hold for the time being because of the stupid uk laws :evil: I will hopefully get round to taking it onto some private roads to do some video but its like every thing else its finding the time.

The motor like you have said is not being used no where near as hard as it could be but as it is, it remains at ambit temp, the bearings have already been replaced, there is quite a bit of loss due to the way that the motor is mounted its slightly off center and this has caused a small tight spot in the rotation :( .

Yes the original cover fits very nicely over the motor and offers a fair bit of weather protection for it but I like where you are coming from about the bling/laugh factor and making a bit of money :p , and yes I think it will blow away most of the scoots that I have seen around my area in a straight sprint , especially if I upped the current to the motor to get the true rating out of it. I think it would even give my 500cc ice scoot a run for its money 8)

Many thanks for this thread Gwhy, this is almost exactly what i was looking for when came to this forum.

My aim is slightly different from yours though, as of last year, the local rules allow a moped to be electric, up to 70kph, about 43 mph. I can get to work on 50-60kph roads, so a street legal moped with 70 on tap with acceleration to match or beat the cars, would be a perfect commuter. I have confirmed with the registration authorities that there is no need to re-register, just need to let the insurance know...hmmm...

So, with a similar base vehicle to yours, ( would prefer a more motorcycle type, but rare with auto ) what sort of motor/controller/battery should I be looking at?

Target

1. 42 mph top speed ( it's the answer to everything )
2. Strong, but not insane. acceleration enough to keep with the cars or get out in front.
3. 50-60km range. Say30-40 miles.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

shaggy said:
Many thanks for this thread Gwhy, this is almost exactly what i was looking for when came to this forum.

My aim is slightly different from yours though, as of last year, the local rules allow a moped to be electric, up to 70kph, about 43 mph. I can get to work on 50-60kph roads, so a street legal moped with 70 on tap with acceleration to match or beat the cars, would be a perfect commuter. I have confirmed with the registration authorities that there is no need to re-register, just need to let the insurance know...hmmm...

So, with a similar base vehicle to yours, ( would prefer a more motorcycle type, but rare with auto ) what sort of motor/controller/battery should I be looking at?

Target

1. 42 mph top speed ( it's the answer to everything )
2. Strong, but not insane. acceleration enough to keep with the cars or get out in front.
3. 50-60km range. Say30-40 miles.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Hi Shaggy,
The motor I used would be a bit over kill for 43mph but on a plus side if the bike was geared taller at the back wheel and running the motor to the max rating it would should good for 70+mph with very good acceleration, my scoot as it stands does around 40-45mph and is using only 3.5kw of motor and it pulls like a train. I think a good motor for your requirments would be something like this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/...AerodriveXp_160_SK_Series_63-64_230Kv_/_3150W this will give you a slightly better top end if running on 44.4v and also help with efficency. As regards range I have no idea at the moment I need to test this out in real life but I guestimate you will need around 25-35Ah of battery but there is a lot of variables that can effect this. Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Loved your build, really great work on taking the step and building it like you have. Looking for a donor bike and trying to sort out how to legalize the scooter afterward otherwise i would have already bought a motor controller and everything :)

Stupid Australian laws that limit pushbike power to 200W, so your build log has given me a nice easy way to do a powerful electric build thats more feasible and useful then a normal bike.

There is another forum member started a coversion along the same lines as mine http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19794 The whole law thing is a pain, I havent tried as yet to get my scoot legal but the few things I have read and the people I have talked to it sounds like that you need to jump though hoops.. But im hopeing that it will not be as bad as what I am thinking it will be.. But it may have to wait till next year now :(

Ok, man, I've got my Turnigy 80-100 now. Got a couple of projects I'm going to use it on, but I'm for sure going to be trying my best to replicate this project.

marcexec said:
Hi gwhy!

Did you do anything during the winter?
How is the legislation thingy going for you?

No Mate,
Haven't done a thing with it, its been to cold, wet and dark but now is the time that I will start thinking about sorting something out. I think I am just going to send the log book off saying that it is now electric and see what happens :mrgreen: then take it from there.. so fingers crossed...

gwhy! said:
marcexec said:
Hi gwhy!

Did you do anything during the winter?
How is the legislation thingy going for you?

No Mate,
Haven't done a thing with it, its been to cold, wet and dark but now is the time that I will start thinking about sorting something out. I think I am just going to send the log book off saying that it is now electric and see what happens :mrgreen: then take it from there.. so fingers crossed...

Hmm, why not tell them it's now a Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle? That's gotta confuse them! It's even true as you could still push it...
:D

yelectric said:
So what exact controller model and number of batteries&brand did you use?

The controller is a stock 12 fet e-crazyman with beefed up traces and reprogrammed for higher current, and the battery's are 44.4v 10Ah turnigy lipo's.

thanks for this thread - its a real eye opener to a newb like me!

secondly, any news? How did the DVLA react to the news?

Thirdly, for the benefit of a new boy, could you outline the rough costs for the digital readout/controller/throttle/hall effect sensor set up/charger - (I know the cost of the motor/personal choice for batteries ) please?

Thanks again - I'm seriously considering this now - I think I'll find a dead 4t scoot and remove the conrod and fit a sprocket setup after seeing your "journey".

Dangle_kt said:
thanks for this thread - its a real eye opener to a newb like me!

secondly, any news? How did the DVLA react to the news?

Thirdly, for the benefit of a new boy, could you outline the rough costs for the digital readout/controller/throttle/hall effect sensor set up/charger - (I know the cost of the motor/personal choice for batteries ) please?

Thanks again - I'm seriously considering this now - I think I'll find a dead 4t scoot and remove the conrod and fit a sprocket setup after seeing your "journey".

Hi Dangle_kt and welcome to ES,
I am very pleased that you have found this thread useful and inspiring. I have not sent the logbook off yet ( note to self: do it soon :mrgreen: )

the cost is not to bad... digital watt meter £25, speed controller £40, throttle £5, hall setup £10 and charger £35 the motor was £60 and the battery's that I now have (50v 20Ah worth) was around £250. The scooter was not that cheap (£100) and I could have got a much better one for my money if I wasn't so impatient .

There is another thread which Im sure you must have seen http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19794 with a slightly different approach to fitting the motor, it seems a much easier way but do take up more room. Also there is this thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21918 which is also very intresting .

Thanks gwhy, the costs are incredibly reasonable! Far less than I was expecting.

I have a few BIG gaps in my basic knowledge that I need to plug.

I've had a rummage through a few of the threads on here, one of which you have linked to, the other one I am just munching my way through.

Thanks for taking the time to share what you have learned.

And in case you haven't done it yet...

DVLA
SWANSEA
SA99 1BA
:lol:

Hey, Looking forward to seeing some more progress. Mine's not seen much yet due to waiting on parts and bieng indecisive on how exactly i want to do things. Keep movin 8)

Yeh I wana see a better video. Very cool project. I have pemission to do this to my girlfriends scooter.

I'm really curious about the wh/mile as well. You showed a picture earlier of it being around 40wh/mile but I was wondering with the new rollers, and over a long trip how that fairs. Of course you still probably don't have it on the road, but I can dream right? :twisted:

Back