8s JST - XH Connectors For Cell log

momo

100 W
I have been looking for these already made and found nothing. Something with at least 6" leads on the ends.
I ordered these but are too small. http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2450061&cat=76&page=1

momo said:
I have been looking for these already made and found nothing. Something with at least 6" leads on the ends.
I ordered these but are too small. http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2450061&cat=76&page=1
Bob Hughes on the RC Group forum can make you some custom harnesses, and he can make sure you get some high quality high strand count 22awg wire on them. He comes highly recommended by the folks out there. This is a link to his products website: http://rcsales.shutterfly.com/ , but this would be a custom job I'm sure.

My self, because I am always changing my mind on what I need and where, I broke down and ordered some special crimpers to try out (they might arrive today)... just hoping i can see well enough to accomplish the task. I already have some of the pieces needed... they are available from digikey. If you are remotely interested in the DIY route, I can post up about my experience at attempting to make my own. :roll:

These are really hard to find. I'm having Dave, at ProgressiveRC.com, make some for me, which I will include with the CellLog based BMS stuff we are working on.

-- Gary

GGoodrum said:
These are really hard to find. I'm having Dave, at ProgressiveRC.com, make some for me, which I will include with the CellLog based BMS stuff we are working on.

-- Gary
Cool, I didn't know Dave was offering to make them as well. He sure provides great service with his product line... that's based on my own personal expereince 8)

Thanks. I just emailed Bob. Also looking forward to Garys cell log bms.

Would this work?
http://www.rcaccessory.com/bantame-stationeac131e-stationopenendedwiringharnessforbc-8charger.aspx

momo said:
Would this work?
http://www.rcaccessory.com/bantame-stationeac131e-stationopenendedwiringharnessforbc-8charger.aspx

Probably... one concern I have with all of the prefab ones is that they never specify the wire gauge, hence how much current they can safely handle.. and some a very crappy IMO :? . A good JST-XH harness should have the maximum gage it is designed to handle IMO which is 22awg. One reason why I think Gary has moved to another connector type altogether for his celllog based BMS design to handle more currently safely... I forget exactly what it is... micro something :oops:

This is another prefab one out there, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Chargery-Power-DB8-8S-40cm-Balance-Charge-Leads_W0QQitemZ270470253072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ef9488a10 but the 5mm ring connector on the end does not fit a 6mm screw very well (it can be threaded on so I've heard) so perhaps not the best choice for Headway cells, and again who knows what wire gage :evil: . BTW, what pack/cell type will you be hooking up to?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=6752&t=1
I am removing the dewalt battery charger and bms then installing the cell log in it's place. The wheel hub has 8s and 4 parallel a123's inside now.

Just received an emailed from rc accessory, they told me they have the wrong image of the connector on there web site.
I do have there eac112/120 8pin version and the wires are good quality 22awg 300v rating not sure what the temp is though.

I bought a this 5-pack for $10 (inc s&h) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150440564673

If you want to buy a male by male to make an extension you can get it here http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=455-2244-ND

- jd

scoot said:
One reason why I think Gary has moved to another connector type altogether for his celllog based BMS design to handle more currently safely... I forget exactly what it is... micro something

That is correct. I'm now using Molex MicroFit 3.0mm connectors and 18-gauge wires, not just for extra current carrying capability, but also because there's less resistance in the wires, so less voltage drop for measurements via the CellLogs, and/or the balancers. The other thing I don't like about the JST-XH connectors is that they don't hold up well, if you have to plug and unplug them a lot.

View attachment LVC-6s4p-03.jpg

GGoodrum said:
scoot said:
One reason why I think Gary has moved to another connector type altogether for his celllog based BMS design to handle more currently safely... I forget exactly what it is... micro something

That is correct. I'm now using Molex MicroFit 3.0mm connectors and 18-gauge wires, not just for extra current carrying capability, but also because there's less resistance in the wires, so less voltage drop for measurements via the CellLogs, and/or the balancers. The other thing I don't like about the JST-XH connectors is that they don't hold up well, if you have to plug and unplug them a lot.

I realize this will be a dumb question, but i have no shame sometimes :roll: I suppose that 3 mm pitch is just to much spread to slip directly onto the cellLog pins (2.5mm pitch) right? Your just using the microfit plug to go from your board to the cells and having the celllog plug into a jst connector on the board... more or less plug in once and leave it there right?

Off topic.. Gary, I too am looking way forward to your 8s boards for my Headway packs. I tried the db8 just for fun, and while it works ok, it does get hot and takes a while ( I have a troublesome cell in one of my packs). the higher current shunting should help a bunch on that pack :twisted:

scoot said:
I realize this will be a dumb question, but i have no shame sometimes :roll: I suppose that 3 mm pitch is just to much spread to slip directly onto the cellLog pins (2.5mm pitch) right? Your just using the microfit plug to go from your board to the cells and having the celllog plug into a jst connector on the board... more or less plug in once and leave it there right?

No dumb questions, just dumb answers... :wink:

I will just use the 9-pin JST-XH pigtails to go from the CellLog logic board, to the CellLog itself. For testing I've simply been using 7-pin and 2-pin versions, side-by-side. The logic board actually has 3.5mm mini-terminal blocks, which I use to connect in the wire ends of a 9-pin female MF pigtail. My packs all have male MF output pigtails, either 7-pin, or 9 pin, depending on whether they are based on using 6s or 8s Turnigy/Zippy packs. My latest pack uses the long-format 8s-5800 Turnigys, but the rest all use 6s-5000 Turnigys or Zippys. For the 6s-based packs, I will use the following adapter board, to convert 4x6s into 3x8s for the CellLog unit:

View attachment 4x6s-to-3x8s Parallel Adapter.png

To make this as flexible possible, each section has pads for JST-XH spacing, the MicroFit 3.0 spacing and the 3.5mm terminal blocks.

scoot said:
Off topic.. Gary, I too am looking way forward to your 8s boards for my Headway packs. I tried the db8 just for fun, and while it works ok, it does get hot and takes a while ( I have a troublesome cell in one of my packs). the higher current shunting should help a bunch on that pack :twisted:

Shouldn't be too much longer. I have the balancer boards and end plates in hand, but I need to finish building one up to check fits, etc., and to complete the instructions. Richard and I have been swamped, trying to do the new CellLog control/logic board.

-- Gary

I didn't like plugging and unplugging the JST from the Celllog. It was hard to grip it and I actually bent a pin on my old Celllog. So I joined 2 of the female JST pigtails together using crimp-on buttsplices and put a male x male on the end. That way I can leave one end attached to the Celllog and plug the battery connector into the male end of the pigtail, which I can hold better in my hands. However, as some of you know from another thread, I may have had some trouble with my harness and all those connections may be to blame, so try it at your own risk - jd

There's no question it would be better if you setup allows to leave the CellLogs pluged in perminantly. I installed a switch on the @1 neg wire and leave it connected. Yeah, I know there is a small drain on the pack. Well it isn't enough to worry about unless your going int ostorage and even then I don't think it's a problem. But that's just my thought.

Bob

jdcburg said:
I didn't like plugging and unplugging the JST from the Celllog. It was hard to grip it and I actually bent a pin on my old Celllog. So I joined 2 of the female JST pigtails together using crimp-on buttsplices and put a male x male on the end. That way I can leave one end attached to the Celllog and plug the battery connector into the male end of the pigtail, which I can hold better in my hands. However, as some of you know from another thread, I may have had some trouble with my harness and all those connections may be to blame, so try it at your own risk - jd
Yep JC LOL... you, me and every other person I've read commenting on those pesky little buggers :evil: I think I rather went over the top on the matter, but I have to say it has been very reliable thus far. I am looking to simplify it down once I am finished with the final solution 8) , but up till now this approach has provided all of the versatility and reliability I have needed in my recent ES up-bringing :D Besides I like electrical Legos :lol:
View attachment IMG_1888.JPG
And Bob, I think your right (switch on the cellog #1 position). Besides, a little balance top off once in a while with a SHORT winter ride when the streets are clear (there are one or two days like that LOL) to take the packs down to storage level, and we'll be fine.

Yipes! :shock: That's one way, I guess. :mrgreen:

With pin 1 switched off, the circuit draws about 350-500 uA. Worst case that is .0005A. At that rate, it will take 20,000 hours, or about 2-1/2 years to drain a 10Ah pack.

GGoodrum said:
Yipes! :shock: That's one way, I guess. :mrgreen:

With pin 1 switched off, the circuit draws about 350-500 uA. Worst case that is .0005A. At that rate, it will take 20,000 hours, or about 2-1/2 years to drain a 10Ah pack.

Yep, that's why I don't understand all the hubbum over using relays and special mods to reduce this. If I had any issues I would wonder about what is still drawing the power and how much am I shortening it's life by allowing it to constantly stay powered. But then again most TV, cell phones and what ever else you can think of have a constant small power usage and they seem to manage just fine. I guess time will tell. Right?

Bob

scoot said:
jdcburg said:
Yep JC LOL... you, me and every other person I've read commenting on those pesky little buggers :evil: I think I rather went over the top on the matter, but I have to say it has been very reliable thus far. I am looking to simplify it down once I am finished with the final solution 8) , but up till now this approach has provided all of the versatility and reliability I have needed in my recent ES up-bringing :D Besides I like electrical Legos :lol:

And Bob, I think your right (switch on the cellog #1 position). Besides, a little balance top off once in a while with a SHORT winter ride when the streets are clear (there are one or two days like that LOL) to take the packs down to storage level, and we'll be fine.

Scoot, Over the top? No, not at all !! :shock: Yeah, i think we have the same problem. I tend to turn the simplest thing into more then it really needs to be sometimes. But if it works what the hell...........why not?

Bob

Can the Cell-Log be left safely in place on the battery pack while the pack is being charged?

If so, why would people feel the need to disconnect-connect the JST-XH connector to-and-from the cell-log so often?

Just my $0.02.

The Mighty Volt said:
Can the Cell-Log be left safely in place on the battery pack while the pack is being charged?

If so, why would people feel the need to disconnect-connect the JST-XH connector to-and-from the cell-log so often?

Just my $0.02.
Yes, it could be left plugged in while charging (and often is for me) but it will contribute slightly to unbalancing the cells unless there is a parallel balancer/bms or periodic balancing procedure that is compensating somehow for the CellLog's unequal current drain of the cells. Of course that would require two set of balance leads to accomplish that. BTW, Gary's CellLog based boards should mitigate this minor annoyance quite well I believe, and allow for us to leave the CellLogs installed permanently with only a single set of balance leads. :mrgreen:

scoot said:
BTW, Gary's CellLog based boards should mitigate this minor annoyance quite well I believe, and allow for us to leave the CellLogs installed permanently with only a single set of balance leads. :mrgreen:

Yes, that is correct. We have diodes connected fro the positive connections of cells 5-8 to the input of CellLog opto logic, so that the current draw is evened out, when the units are on, and we've added a resistor across the first two pins which evens out the draw in the standby condition, when the CellLogs are off, but still connected. Personally I think all of this is pretty much overkill, as the standy current drain is so small it would take 2-1/2 years to drain a 10Ah pack, but at least at the end of that 2-1/2 years, the cells will still be balanced. :roll: :)

-- Gary

I found this tool. It's supposedly able to crimp jst-xh contacts.

http://store.iheartengineering.com/Engineer-PA-21-Universal-Crimping-Pliers/dp/B004FRU0AE?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

What do you think? It's about 1/10th of the price of the REAL tool.

Back