Votes: 20 13.9%
  • other

Votes: 30 20.8%
  • eeewww beer is gross how can you drink that stuff

Votes: 19 13.2%

• Total voters
OMG

http://www.coronadobrewingcompany.com/our-beers/4-brothers-pale-ale.html

just returned from happy hour at this place.

Happy hoppy beer in San Diego. the best.

The CBC Idiot IPA is an all natural India Pale Ale. A big beer with an 8.5% ABV and brewed with over 3 pounds of hops per barrell. Watch out, this unfiltered "San Diego IPA" has been known to reduce even the most intelligent to a blithering "idiot". (8.5% ABV)

On tap happy hour prices make this a "do not miss".

d

Bell's Brewery Two Hearted Ale (IPA)

State Availability: FL, IA, IN, KY, MI, MN, MO, NC, ND, OH, PA, VA, WI

We just changed the law here in Iowa to ease up on strong beer and to my pleasure I found my favorite beer on a local shelf today. I can't wait to taste the local brewpub's first strong beer. :D

Partial to a Cascade m'self, premium or light, wets the whistle nicely.
http://www.cascadebrewery.com.au/beer.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Brewery

A tip of the hat to the French Canadians for that great Maudite from Unibroue.

Pricey, but oh so good. Bottle fermented.

Thanks Canadians! :D

d

Three Philosophers

It's amazing.

czech beer for me,if none is available then german.in canada we get dab beer for 1.99 for 500ml.great beer great price.beer makes me happy. :D .

Beer, what can you say about beer ?
Whoever invented the stuff was obviously a genius without equal !!

When at home in Aus it's either Toohey's New, Stella or some exotic micro-brew.

When in Thailand it's usually Chang.

When I was living in China I didn't drink the beer, no offence to the Chinese member's but Tsingtao Beer is just terrible.. and I can drink nearly anything.
In Hong kong they used to let you take home a liter of Tsingtao Beer draughted off the tap, in a plasic shopping bag !! .... No joke.

I can enjoy a glass or 2 of Guiness but then it get's a bit heavy.

Never been to the USA , but I hear that they drink lager beer there, the same as in oz. Can anyone suggest a tasty north american brew in case I ever visit ?

Salute.

thewmatusmoloki said:
Never been to the USA , but I hear that they drink lager beer there, the same as in oz. Can anyone suggest a tasty north american brew in case I ever visit ?

Salute.

:idea: An invitation I cannot easily refuse…

Naturally-occurring, fermentation pervades our world; the fungi are on nearly everything, including our bodies, and in our intestines, and many creatures other than mankind consume fermented products constantly. Therefore primitive forms of Beer has been around for as long as civilization: Arguably it is the defining point; when nomadic peoples settled down to cultivate their food, brewing became part of that process. The oldest written records indicate there were no less than 20 styles of brew made and traded. The oldest European poem has a large segment devoted to brewing mead for a wedding. One of the oldest words we use today is Wine and Vine, derived from Sanskrit (the root language of Indo-European), with wine being “of the vine”. Yes, Brewing has been around for a very long time.

I do not think I could offer you one tasty American brew to sample. No that would not do at all:

I would begin your indoctrination with the American Lager AB Budweiser to appreciate the chemical engineering behind a consistently clean and tasty product served here in the States and abroad. It is not my favorite by any means, however it is lite, easy to drink, and consumed by a large majority; it’s a good place to start.

The next beer is an American adaptation of the German Kölsch style called Golden- or Blonde Ale. It is slightly heavier than a Bud, but lighter than an American Pale Ale (Sierra-Nevada). Most lager drinkers can make this transition with ease. Goose Island Blond or Deschutes Cascade Golden come to mind as tastefully well-executed and pleasantly quenching on a hot summer’s day.

Then I’d move you up the ladder to an American Wheat; slightly different than the German origin and lacking the spicy clove-phenolic-vanilla tones, and yet refreshingly clean and creamy (BTW - I do not use lemon as it is a commoner adulteration of the profile, like adding lime & salt to Corona ~ except in latter case it needs it). Both Widmer and Pyramid offer excellent examples fresh from the tap.

Afterwards we’d enjoy a sampling of American Pale Ale, Sierra-Nevada being the classic example. There are stronger and heavier versions of this but that’s what they are: stronger and heavier and not fitting the original style historically or otherwise. Double Pale Ales are a joke and a nuance, a perturbation and an appellation. But let me tell you how I really feel…

Some will venture on into Indian Pale Ale and Imperial IPA, however if you wish to retain your palate, might I suggest…

Amber and Brown ales are a great vector to follow; I know the West Coast breweries extremely well so forgive me if I show deference – it is not meant as a slight to the rest. Rogue St. Red set the standard for the big amber beers. I also appreciate the Mendocino Red Tail Ale. Lost Coast Downtown Brown is a spectacularly delicious Gold-Medal winning brew, as are all the ones that I have mentioned so far.

Now we approach the darker dreamier styles: Porters. Invented in 1721 from a single batch of brew where previously it was a blend of three “threads”, today we can enjoy several particularly interesting choices depending on your bent: smoky, roasty, or chocolaty. I prefer the less-bitter Southern-English influenced porters. Once upon a time Grant’s Perfect Porter reigned supreme; a chocolate delight with no peers. Sadly Bert Grant must be rolling in his grave after what transpired at his brewery once he sold it. Rogue, Anchor, and Sierra-Nevada all make excellent porters though, as do many others. One could spend a winter mining the depths of these tasty elixirs, and upon that reflection it may be the second-best style in my book.

I say second-best because my favorite style …after Baltic Porter …is Strong Scotch Ale! Similar to Amber, yet with restrained fruitiness, deeply raisin-plumy, a hint of peaty smokiness, crisp and clean, warming and kindred on a cold Seattle winter’s night. Though I haven’t found an equal in the United States to Orkney Skull Splitter or Traquair House, the search remains and there are lots to be found at nearly every brewery!

Stouts began their life as strong stouty porters and indeed that’s what they were called, Stout Porter in 1759 when Arthur Guinness founded his brewery in Dublin Ireland. Believe it or not it is brewed in the United States, thus qualifying as a domestic brand. However there are a plethora of indigenous offerings available shortly after you step off the plane: Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Lost Coast 8-Ball Stout, Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, Left Hand Milk Stout, and Brooklyn Dry Stout to name a few.

Brews to sample beyond this point, that is if you’re still standing <hic*, doo-da> verge into the more potent variety where we break out the little glasses and snifters, tapping into various kegs and cornies, cracking open a vintage and sharing copiously between friends of a barley-feather, and plumbing the depths with our Olfactory Process more than with gullet. Eighty-percent of taste is through the nose, and really – there is no need to swallow to appreciate a fine beer …though I suppose that would be missing the party 8)

Enjoy! KF

Thanks muchly for the advice !
I'll have to get over there as fast as I can and imbibe in a few of those incredible sounding ale's.
You make beer sound more inviting than even the wine desriptions. (which it is)

It's funny though how descriptions of wine never include such terms as "dark ale pepper" or "smoky chocholate stout" or "light cherry lager" taste. :eek:

I forgot to metion that one of my favorite lager's is "Kingfisher" .... very clean and dry.

:wink:

Cheers

thewmatusmoloki said:
Thanks muchly for the advice !
I forgot to metion that one of my favorite lager's is "Kingfisher" .... very clean and dry.

:wink:

Cheers
Wow that brings back memories:
Kingfisher is an Indian Lager, named after a bird; I first tried that beer in 1991 at BB Rovers in Austin Texas :)
Whereas I, Kingfish am named after a character from the 1930s who was quite the finagling rascal :lol:

Oh... I and forgot to tell you about some other beers to try:
Alaskan Smoked Porter: AWESOME with oysters or smoked salmon!
Or Pyramid Apricot, fantastic hit with the ladies, and great with just about any fish!
Or Anchor Steam, an historic lager from the California Gold Rush era that is brewed at ale temps; perfect with fresh-steamed Dungeness crab dipped in melted butter with San Francisco Sour-Dough bread!
Or if you want to try a really interesting beer, don't let the name fool you: Moose Drool by Big Sky Brewing, Montana is an enchanting Anglo-American Brown Ale that has conquered the Inland Empire.

I mentioned Alaska earlier; that is one place that makes rockin' beer: Some years ago I went up there to judge the 1st Round of the Nationals (largest amateur beer competition in the world) and a buddy took me to Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage before I climbed back on the plane home. I enjoyed an "Imperial Pilsner" they had named Arctic Colt-45 with fresh-steamed Alaskan King Crab and drawn butter!

And I have another Alaskan tale for you:
Remeber the Disney movie "White Fang"? It was filmed just outside of Haines, Alaska, not far from Skagway. When the filming was completed, Disney offered the set known as the faux-town of Dalton to the city of Haines for cheap. The set was moved to the fairgrounds; all the buildings except the Saloon were only 12-feet deep (it was a fake town). One guy bought up a couple of those faux buildings and he opened up his tiny brewery there called "Haines Brewing Co", and his specialty is Spruce Beer. It is some of the best-tasting fermented nectar I have ever had! It usually goes on tap on Memorial Weekend in time for the beerfest :)

Got lots of beer stories from Europe too; driving solo to 7 countries, 22 cities, 6000 kms, in 36 days! I could easily go on so I'll stop.

brouwers.cafe.small.jpgSo - what kind of beer do you think the one wearing the skirt is?

Just making you thirsty :wink:
Cheers! KF

I didn't vote. Could't find the right ones:
-Jupiler
-Becks
-Hofbrau
-Hertog Jan
-Heineken
-Vedett

As luck would have it, the first beer I ever had in a nightclub (Champagne Charlies, Surfers Paradise, circa 1981) when I was 17 & legally not supposed to be there, was XXXX Bitter Ale (pronounced "fourex" but often referred to by tourists as "ex, ex, ex, ex") brewed by Castlemaine Perkins in Brisbane. Some/many these days would say that is not so lucky, though in the day there weren't anywhere near as many choices available as you find today. Anyway, the luck I'm referring to is the temperature the beer was served at that night was at the point where tiny icicles had formed to create a partycularly lively sensation when the sharp points contact the throat's surface when downing it. Every now and then it gets a conversational mention with the other es member who also partook with me at that time. XXXX has a lot of bite and is not revered very much outside of Queensland, however for me, although it's not my every-day drop now (yes it was for a few years then, until interstate & foreign beers with comparable prices began to appear), after a hard day's work in hot weather it most satisfies as big a thirst as you can throw at it.
It was an experience that may have triggered a primeval search to satisfy the same pleasure spot in my brain, 'cos I did search high and low back then when I was more bulletproof to getting pissed.
A theory is that XXXX may also underly what makes Queenslanders better at playing State of Origin rugby league, either that or it numbs the knocks more. :wink:
View attachment mrfourex.jpg

Thats all deatset true indeed Rob, I remember, because I was there at the time. :p
Didn't jag any girlie's that night though, probably because too pissed on the alcoholic shards of icy xxxx beer ! + the mega loud music in a very small crowded room, major flashing light's and huge bouncer's staring everyone down, not to mention the smoke machine (couldn't see much).

Girlie shagging did take place on many other night's though when less intoxicated :wink:

Surprised we lived through it really.

Wouldn't drink that xxxx crud nowadays though, cause's too bad a hangover.

Nice sharing.
I mostly drink Heineken and Amstel when me and my friends goes to nearly night club or any bar.

Kingfish said:
thewmatusmoloki said:

Salute.

I do not think I could offer you one tasty American brew to sample. No that would not do at all ...

Enjoy! KF

Excellent and enjoyable tour Kingfish!

Monks Cafe Sour Flemish Red Ale is my all-time favorite by leaps and bounds.
Moosbacher Hefeweizen.
Spaten Oktoberfest.
Brown Shugga.

Pretty much anything from Midnight Sun is awesome, even their T.R.E.A.T. Imperial chocolate pumpkin porter which is not so much pumpkin as it is nutmeg, cloves, and chocolate.

Just about any open-fermented beer from Belgium is usually good drinking. Including lambics... mmm...

Well Sierra Nevada is the local brewery, but I can't stand their brews. My personal favorite is Anderson Valley Brewing Summer Solstice. It can be VERY hard to find, but there is one place around that usually has at least one sixxer.

I'm lucky enough to live in Michigan with some of the finest craft beers on the planet. Whomever says American beer is bad has not had our craft beer! The regular Budweiser, Miller, etc, is quite boring.

Old joke: How is American beer like having sex in a canoe? It's f*cking close to water :D

Mmmm beer.

Based on this poll, you might think that 86% of users who voted drink alcohol of some kind. It often seems puzzling to me that one will scoff at recreational drugs but then get black out drunk. I've never done either personally, but I think it's silly how the world is. It's your body, down with prohibition. Drink responsibly and so on.

Had a Hoppy Bitch while in Auburn Wa. yumm.. Now I crave a beer at 10;30 am :D

Back