GT i-drive 2.0 Build

etard said:
first time I rode underneath it, through that tunnel and watched it recede away through the back window of that cop car, but that's for another time..... :x
sounds like a good story! ah, youth... but to be there in a cop car, on the way back to VA? did they chase you over and bring you back?
Why such a short video man?
on low power heading home (from golf round!), so just the interesting scenes, like bumping my head on that low hanging branch.
lunchbreak video, those trees are amazing, where is this place? It looks abandoned.
a map of the run. most of the vid is from the path down to and along the river.

from oct 21, outbound commute. widescreen format, so full HD this time, or 720 in youtube. :roll: music works at all but 360. :roll:
nothing special, just dashing about in a race to get to kids school... trying to set an example... model parent, going for PTA chair, etc, etc
[youtube]7CZm9YYH3Co[/youtube]

just a note: the new Lyen 12FET 4110 controller is working great! (NOT yet in use in vid above)

it was pre-programmed to 30A, and my old one was 45A; pros: runs cooler (i've also not painted it black :roll: ), doesn't melt connectors, conserves battery, longevity, etc. cons: not as much muscle. but i'd been yapping about dialing the old sucker back so here we are.

it programmed for regen, but only at 75V and i haven't done the R12 mod. the result is that from 83V down to 76V, the bike will coast and brakes use pads. nearer to 75V, regen will kick in when throttle is released, and INCREASES when ebrake lever used. nice. old one didn't do that. nor did my old controller recognize CA currently limiting, etc.

i recorded the CA on this morning's (dark) commute, so that'll be interesting, or not.. :lol:

8)

Hi G! another great video! some close looking scrapes there as well!! thanks for sharing and glad to hear that the controller is working OK, I think it may not be a bad idea to tame down that beast a bit! esp with winter coming as well!!

Knoxie

wow what a beater and neglect your GT bike :p

Time for you rebuilding your GT bike before you are gonna upgrade to X5303 motor. Since you have been
running 100v surely will take 5303 into near 60mph or so.

I am waiting for the Christmas sale and will upgrade 9c motor to X5303 motor.

Hi G

Interesting look around the bike 8) all looking good to me! its gonna get abuse you ride it everyday and I know how it is getting the time to do stuff too!! stick with the motor if its working, the X5 is a good motor also but its sooooo heavy.. your bike is well fast enough, I am looking in to getting a 9C for my daily ride as the X5 is too heavy to lug around at work.

Cheers for the video loving your bike through the fish eye!! magicshine lights for the front!! get them from deal extreme

chroot said:
Since you have been
running 100v surely will take 5303 into near 60mph or so.
And over but a 18 Mosfets controller didn't last long at this voltage and trying to stay at this top speed is very risky for your controller like Doctorbass has experiencing, so many times!

chroot said:
I am waiting for the Christmas sale and will upgrade 9c motor to X5303 motor
Don't do it for the reason mention above or buy a 36 Mosfets controller to have a reliable ebike with this motor.

Good day!
Black Arrow

haha, BEATER is right!

would it really matter how heavy the xlyte is if it's FAST? :twisted:

but i'm only at 74V not at 100V. i played w/ that voltage, but am not set up to charge that regularly.

and the sad fact is that my lipo pack is getting tired. i need to get some hard data, but:

- i think i've only got a reliable 8Ah
- i'm hot off the charger at 83V but after 1Ah RESTING voltage is ~77V
- after 5Ah, and at 30A, i've got a 9V voltage sag, from 74 at rest down to 65V... :cry:

i figure i'm at about 600 cycles (normally using 1/2 to 2/3 of the pack). (i've reset the CA a couple times accidentally)

i've been charging it up to 4.16.

i don't mind running it down to death, but i've been fearing one cell is closer than the others and could cause me some problems. that i'm not really in the mood to deal with. hauling TWO kids in the trailer, at max capacity, up and down some hills - i need reliability, hence the hasty new controller purchase. etc,etc.

not that i couldn't think up other reasons to buy new lipo... :mrgreen:

i wonder how that usa warehouse is doing...?

Hi G

Dont know about the usa warehouse but they are packing 6S 5AH 20C turnigy cells for $43 on the German warehouse, thats an amazing price :shock: my batteries are still going strong however at these prices I am not worried about it, just amazing prices.

It's true xlyte X5 motor is heavier than 9c motor. However you forgot about GCinDC does hauling his kids in the trailer and the X5303 (speeeeeedy or 5304 more torque (for 26" tires) would be fine tow kids trailer without overheat motor hub.

@BlackArrow - If you look into icecube http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20398, He has 5303 and he weighted 250lbs running 44v and able run 42mph. He blew his Lyen controller similar like you said Docorbrass's indicated problem with his controller blew up and icecube got it replaced free.

Anyways If i am in icecube or doctorbrass shoe, I would just don't push hard on Lyen controller and run limit speed without overheat Mosfets or put 2 small fan cooler to keep cooling the Mosfets avoid overheat. Does it make sense?

chroot said:
Anyways If i am in icecube or doctorbrass shoe, I would just don't push hard on Lyen controller and run limit speed without overheat Mosfets or put 2 small fan cooler to keep cooling the Mosfets avoid overheat. Does it make sense?

Chroot
Doctorbass is not only a friend for me but he is one of the very knowledgeable men in electronic that know. He as built several powerful controller in the past, if putting fans on them will work, I sure that Doctorbass as doing that instead of building a new 36 mosfets controller.

Good day!
Black Arrow

yep, my batts are dying. after only 5Ah, under 15A load, it was at 65V, and groaning like a mule. could also be a bad cell but hard to check...

so now, i'm about ready to pull the trigger on the identical batteries. $42 per 5s5ah pack from the usa warehouse. free parcel post delivery.

just gotta decide if i want to stick w/ 5S or move to 6S...

oh, too tired to think it through... but man, my fingers are getting itchy to buy!

@BlackArrow - Yes, I aware about Doctorbrass built powerful controller and he blew his controller. Because he pushed
way way overload on poor fets went over stressed. :p

Same principal when you have a hotrod V8, if someone pushed V8 motor over rev and it surely will break down
the bearing or snap the bolt caused by stress. That's why, Like I said if you don't put controller in red zone danger
damage the fets. Unless you are a rich can afford replacement the blew fets controller. GO FOR IT! :twisted:

Some of us are not rich :roll:

@GCinDC - Get 6s LiPo (24s2p 100.8v) instead? I looked your controller is an Lyen equipped 4110 capable support 100v (the capacitors itself maximum 110v) therefore you will have lot punch muscle torque and more quick? Just wondering. :)

Hi

Even the X5 can and will over heat though, it has more copper so a better thermal mass so may cope a little better but with a big weight penalty. As far as the batteries go G i would be surprised if your sag was down to cells already as they arent that old yet? check your connectors and maybe run a few tests with the BM6 monitors to see if you have any bad cells in there :?

But at those prices its not a problem to fill up with new cells is it? my battery box is easily configured for a quick change, 4 x screws unplug the 4 x JST connectors and drop them in, reckon it would take less than 2 mins to put new cells in 8) still retaining the plug and play aspect of my pack which I just love.

Well the weekend is upon us again G and its Friday! looking forward to the next video instalment, are you going to run those tyres during winter or do you have something else on the horizon?

knoxie said:
But at those prices its not a problem to fill up with new cells is it? my battery box is easily configured for a quick change...
sound logic. decision made. one order coming up! btw, do you just use the backpack for the bmx? i was thinking how it might be convenient to have them in a backpack, for bringing inside to charge, etc..
Well the weekend is upon us again G and its Friday! looking forward to the next video instalment,
man, you are serious about this friday thing. i'll be better prepared next time. woke up and did a quick edit of the scraps of footage I had from the week. will be up in a bit. stay tuned.
are you going to run those tyres during winter or do you have something else on the horizon?
god no! first sign of snow, i'm throwing on the snow and ice tires! :twisted:

@ Chroot,

Doc was here this summer and after blowing is controller another time we fix it and we going out for a ride.

Doc start gently from street corner, he didn't stress the controller (I was flowing him) but a Mosfets is blowing again only (2) corner from the start. I don't thing that 5303 with 25" rear wheel or bigger is good watch for any 18 Mosfets controller but like you said is your money and your time. :roll:

I hope you succeed and you didn't have that kind of behaviour :wink: , good day!
Black Arrow

jeez, in the old days i woulda fretted for weeks over the purchase... this is done. now, it's so satisfying, in a guilty delightful way... :mrgreen:
turnigyOrder.jpg

do you still buy lipos, hyena, self proclaimed lipo whore?

i may be too excited when they arrive that i make a wet spot in my pants. if i can keep my cool, i'll video the replacement operation...

Freaking awesome vid. so you officially going 20s2p at 10Ah right?

Back