Portland, OR: Meet and Greet...

Hi All

Sorry for not responding sooner, I've had a cold for the last few days and don't much want to do anything at the moment........ But by Dec 6th I'll either be well or dead so if I'm not dead count me in. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to ride, I'll make sure I've got something suitable ready to roll!

Greenerwheels

I should be able to attend the meeting. My velomobile needs some work on the electrical lighting system but there's always the "Gizmo to fall back on as long as I charge at dnmun's place.

Bill
SE Pdx

Wow, lotsa Portland area guys coming out of the woodwork, hope to see you all there!!

I'm soaking the controller in CorrisionX now, so if it doesn't explode in this weather, count me in too :D

Cool! I live too far away to attend, but wish I could. Sure would like to see more members link up in other states also. For that matter, in other countries too! It is alot of fun to get together, plus it makes us a stronger group in many ways. Have fun, and post pics and video. Alright you people in Arizona, we can do this! Someday maybe It can be an annual ES member meetup here or there around the world...

Count me in too! I can bike in anything but ice (until I get some studded tires :twisted: ) so I will definitely do my best to have all the electrics going, but if not, I will bring what I have so far. :wink:

OK, so the extended weather forecast for Sunday Dec 5 is looking good: Mostly Sunny High 44°F Low 37°F Precip 20 % ...

Hopefully we should have a good turn-out of Portland area ES people and their creations.

For people wanting to charge while at the get-together, there are 12 outlets in the display location.

If a couple of people can remember to bring cameras, we can post some photos of the event.

Sunday - December 5 at the new PSU Engineering Building 1-4 pm;

The Northwest Center for Engineering, Science and Technology (Engineering Building)
1930 SW Fourth Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97201

Can I come too. I live X the river up in Washington but sure would like to come. Sure could use some help too. ?????

I found this on one of my regular forums, the event is listed on page two, which I didn't know they had a page two until today.

http://bikeportland.org/2010/12/01/psu-engineering-school-to-host-e-bike-display-43785

One question, do we need to bring any munchies or drinks? Originally I thought it was just going to be a handful of guys talking about their bikes, but we may just get a few people showing up that are curious, which is a good thing.

Looking forward to meeting everyone

Greenerwheels

XRuss: Yes, Washington people can come...

Greenerwheels: There are a bunch of food carts located across the street from the meeting place; maybe a couple will be open on Sunday afternoon. There are also vending machines for snacks and drinks on the same floor as our meeting area. May also ask a student engineering group to have their coffee/tea cart open.

We are getting some good PR, so there may be a fair turn-out of students and the general public stopping by; if you are planning on coming, it may be good to be there at 1pm with your ebike or vehicle.

Thanks,

Tom

Also, since non-ES people will there, less duct tape and exposed wire if possible, lol.

( damnit, now i gotta get to soldering. )

The oeva (Oregon electric vehicle association) email list has started a thread on our event. I personally like black gorrilla tape. I plan on bringing two bikes, is there any place nearby for parking?

Thanks
greenerwheels

I am working on getting some electric cars to also be displayed at the event.

All the street parking is now "pay to park" in downtown Portland, even on Sundays until 7pm.

There is underground parking at the event site - also costing more $.

SunCoaster said:
I am working on getting some electric cars to also be displayed at the event.

All the street parking is now "pay to park" in downtown Portland, even on Sundays until 7pm.

There is underground parking at the event site - also costing more $.

I'd really like to bring my Twike but I have a failed BMS board and I can't drive it on one battery pack. I may try to show up anyway.

Wow, intrest is spinning up & the weather is going to be great (for winter weather that is).

The CNC is carving a commissioned part now, and then with any luck the latest motor mount will be ready for my own bike. WHOO!

Hey Guys a friend of mine asked me to sell his 2 Red Tidal Force S-750 frames he bought from Oatnet last year, they are still packed in the box Oatnet shipped them in. No seats included but has the front derailleur, seat post, bottom bracket and kick stand is. I thought I would offer them locally first. I'm posting them here, because I can bring them with me tomorrow. PM me if you are interested, otherwise I'll leave them home. They are $100 each, which covers the cost of the frames and his shipping. I also still have a couple of the Planet bike Protege 5.0 bike computers for $20 each.

See you tomorrow

Greenerwheels

webfootguy said:
I'd really like to bring my Twike but I have a failed BMS board and I can't drive it on one battery pack. I may try to show up anyway.

Oh my...that thing is awesome! Even better, is that it only has a 3KW motor...*ahem*brushless*cough*outrunner*ahem* :mrgreen:

I will be there tomorrow!

However, I will bring the Kepler Drive and battery pack in it's unfinished state, I only got as far as finishing the fairing and adding my motorcycle alarm & it's separate battery, so I will be doing a good "power outage" test of the bike's performance (simulating a battery/drive failure requiring my going just by pedal power), which is fine, I have done so many a time before, but never with the protection from the wind this new fairing will offer, not to mention my new cycle shoes to test out! :D 8) :twisted:

Cya all there tomorrow!

I might be convinced to bring one of my spare Kepler Drives if anyone would be interested in seeing how they come in the mail. :wink:

Thank you SunCoaster for putting on this great event!! This was one of those things that everything came together, the weather was great, the location was great and the people were great. It wasn't too big, maybe 20 people tops in the course of 3 hours. Neptronix and I carpooled together from Beaverton, Biohazardman and LI-ghtcycle road in from the East side of town. LI-ghtcycle pedaled his creation from Oregon City as his bike didn't yet have his motor installed. We had a couple of people from eco-speed ride their recumbents to the party and SunCoaster brought his solar powered trike and his S-750 daily rider. I brought my SWB jetstream recumbent, which I managed to get my shoe laces tangled in my right pedal and fall over helplessly at stall speed, poor Neptronix he was looking kinda worried about me as he rode ahead of me while he kept looking over his shoulder waiting for me to catch up. After the event was over and we rode our bikes back to my truck I offered him the chance to ride my bike of doom, he rode it up the street and back and I think he understood why I was constantly behind. In short it was a great afternoon with great people, every bike there really showed the creative spirit of individuals in attendance. Please forgive this old guy if I left you out it wasn't intentional.
I'm including pictures, they aren't great but better than nothing.
Thanks again Tom, looking forward to doing this again

Greenerwheels100_0017.JPGView attachment 5100_0020.JPG100_0024.JPGView attachment 2100_0028.JPG100_0031.JPG

Yes thanks again Suncoaster! I'm glad I made it, I was pretty late, I knew my fairing wouldn't do much for me aero-wise, but with a 15MPH+ headwind all the way from Oregon City, I must say it was worse than I expected, if I had my electric power installed it would have been a different story, but alas, the fairing still has bugs to be worked out and portions built before it's really ready for power again.

Was a great time, I am REALLY glad you took pictures Greenwheels, because in all the excitement I completely forgot to take pictures of my own! :roll: :oops: :lol:

It was great to put faces to the names of local people here on ES, I think we should start some club rides for E-Bikes! I'd love to share E-Biking with others and that would be a great way to promote the sport! 8)

I too had a great time. At the event I was remorseful that I didn't bring my bike. Yesterday, I had my dog euthanized due to kidney failure he was 14 years old Pomeranian and haven't been in the mood for much of anything. Hopefully we can get together again sometime soon so that I can participate with the group.

2618563109_f1ec5d14a1_z.jpg

Bill

I was there just a bit late as I had to finish up with the latest upgrades on the Giant, new controller, V3clutch and pulled some extra wire through the axle of the BMC V2. Used lots of electrical tape to hold the wires together till tommorrow. It was good to talk e-bike talk with those of you who made it. Never ceases to amaze me at the different ways people go about putting these things together.

Back