RC throttle interface build tutorial........

Swapping two motor leads is the proper way to fix it. Motors do not have wires that are polarized (wire color) a certain way. I just ignore motor wire color and do a rotation test.

Matt

Hi.'
Am new to all this except the RC part. I did the Turnigy Modification but it does not appear to work. The motor does not respond to throttle input but slowly increases speed over time (i turned it off after 1min). However it works fine when plugged into a receiver etc. Using the turngiy 63-64-230Kv With Turnigy 85A ESC, a cheap hall throttle (I hope) Turnigy Servo Tester and on 22.2V (6S Lipo). Any Ideas? I may just have to buy a pot throttle although it is expensive. In New Zealand so shipping is not small either :(
Thanks

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10331
I cut the pot off then soldered a jumper from the signal input to the middle pot connection? This was as per the mod on page 3. I can take a photo with the lid off it it helps?

You could try measuring the voltage on the signal wire while moving the throttle. Most hall throttles will go from about 0.7v to 4.2v or so (nominal 1-4v range).

You might need to add a resistor from the signal line to ground (10k?) Some hall throttles have this built in and some don't.

If the voltage on the signal line is too high when you turn on the controller, it might go into a high stick safety lockout condition.

Hey. Thanks for that advice. I assume check the voltage across the entry/exit of the signal wire? I will check when I get some spare time. Not having much electronics experience, can I ask how you would put a 10K resistor from the signal line to ground? Thanks
Tim

RC_Kiwi said:
Not having much electronics experience, can I ask how you would put a 10K resistor from the signal line to ground? Thanks
Tim

On the wires coming from the hall throttle, you would connect the resistor between the signal line and the ground line. You could possibly just jam the resistor legs into the back of the connector for a quick test.

Thanks for the advice. Well I was fiddling with the voltmeter and suddenly it worked! Turns out it was simply a dodgey solder connection (my bad :oops: ). Right I'll put the iron to it and see if it works properly. Thanks for your help!

just thought I'd link to this alternative RC throttle interface. My mate is doing a version of it in surface mount so it can effectively be heatshrunk into the hall throttle wire: I'll post up the gerbers on here if anyone's interested.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=278&start=360
near the bottom of the page ;^)

What is the deal with the pictures on this thread? Are they gone? I am trying to wire
up a throttle, but it's hard without the pictures. Is there some magic to getting the .jpg
to show?

motomoto said:
What is the deal with the pictures on this thread? Are they gone? I am trying to wire
up a throttle, but it's hard without the pictures. Is there some magic to getting the .jpg

moderator has just told you what happened to the pictures... :roll: -->

Miles said:
they are a casualty of the recent transfer between servers...... hopefully, it's only a temporary problem.
[/quote]

I uploaded them again for you, these are series pics uploaded before by
Recumpence (Matt.S)

Throttle Wiring.jpg

foilwrap.jpg

layout.jpg

step3.jpg

step4.jpg

step5.jpg

step6.jpg

step7.jpg

finished1.jpg

KiM

Attachments

• step5.jpg
    step5.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 4,363
I just soldered my magura wires onto the legs of the Pot and left it there, it actually worked great as a throttle endpoint limiter as it was. I also used it as a temporary off switch to keep from accidentally twisting the throttle while I messed with other components on the bike.

Thanks for the pics Kim.

Thanks guys for posting the turnigy servo tester - hall throttle tutorial, fool proof! (but not for me I guess)

I was kinda enthusiastic.. and just plugged the hall throttle in without swiching + and - poles.
I found out I made that mistake.. and corrected it, though it still does not work.

What happens if + and - are reversed, in terms of hall throttle handle..? did I burn something, discard the throttle, get new halls?

with 4 volt on the + and -, I get 0 volt on signal-ground, and 2,5 volt on signal and positive... Rotating the throttle does not change a thing... I fear I killed it?

Thanks!

opened it and this is what the sensor looks like... Burned it I guess.

The sensor states 49E .. at least the readable part.
Well, ordered these, we'll see: http://cgi.ebay.com/10pcs-Hall-element-49E-OH49E-SS49E-linear-Sensor-/390309402443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae040d74b#ht_781wt_905

For those interested... some more reading that I found on how the hall throttles work... http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1718.0

Ok, I just gave this a try without removing the POT and it almost works... My ESC doesn't have built in BEC so I need to hook that up to the servo tester as well. I can use the throttle, but ONLY if I turn the potentiometer up a little first. Do I need to remove the POT then? Or should I hook up the external BEC to another part of the servo tester?

i have been lurking here for years. and am now setting my bike up!!!!

i successfully ran everything with the turnigy servo tester on the bench. motor ran smooth, everything AOK...

since then i have made the changes to the servo tester for the hall throttle and am having no luck...

my setup:
-turnigy 80-130 motor
-CCHV160 controller
-turnigy servo tester
-i think my throttle is a hall style. i checked, no resistance changes when i turn it. it is a cheapo throttle.
-i am running a plug in 5volt power supply to the servo tester instead of a BEC (for testing)
-12S lipo 10ah 40c

i wired the throttle to the turnigy servo tester input (red +,,, black -,,,, white signal)
i put the jumper wire soldered between the middle of the old pot to the "S" on the input.
i wired the 5v power supply to the turnigy output (+ to + and - to -)
plugged in the CCHV160 to the servo tester

the sevo tester "manual" led lights up
now, the CCHV160 gives me the 5beep throttle error.............. and i cant see where ive gone wrong....

a few more things to add, it is possible that i got the 5 beep error because my plug from the CCHV160 to the turnigy servo testor could have been in backwards...... one direction gives the 5 beep error. the other does nothing. neither makes the motor go...

i read here someone talking about reversing the polarity (+ -) of the throttle leads????? burnt up the hall sensor???

am i heading in the right direction???? or can someone see an obvious flaw in my setup????? have i already burnt out the hall sensor and should take the throttle apart??????????? any direction would be a great help.

my bike is soooooooooooo close... and just before the snow flies... ah welll... would like to giver a try though before winter!

shnitzel

I have never run a hall throttle. So, I cannot comment. I have always used the Magura POT throttle. They work so well and are bullet-proof.......

I am sure someone else who is more familiar with hall throttles will chime in soon enough.

Matt

im thinking of swapping the power wires on the throttle....... if it isnt already fried, it might be then... ha ha ha...

ill get some pix and start a build thread soon here. i owe it to all you and future spherer's for the education i got here myself!

i wont swap the wires for another hour or so... just in case someone sees something im missing.

shnitz

i double checked everything.... still no throttle. i tried to run the "auto" and "neutral" mode on the servo tester... it made the motor jump around wildly... so i think my servo tester is doing its job. i cant get any voltage out of the hall throttle. no matter what i do...........

sooooooooo, with no servo tester anymore to play with things. i ordered the magura setup described at the start of this post.... i wish i could have saved that$$$, but oh well.. this project is long past $$$$$$$$$$.... ha ha ha... ah well, all in the name of prototyping and fun!!!!

id still like to try and make this throttle solution work if anyone has any advice. my friend is replicating my bike, so if i do get BOTH throttles to work, ill pass one on to him.

shnitz

Back