THE WORLD BIGGEST HUB MOTOR

Doctorbass said:
Fechter.. You mentionned it's an AC motor!.. Welll I would be curious to see the controller of that hub motor!!!.. and the dozens of IGBTs :shock:

Doc

The IGBT in this power range are huge :shock: , check page 8 of this article where the CEO of Infineon holding one IGBT during a press release ,compare that size to the common 4110 fet's,
http://www.power-mag.com/pdf/issuearchive/40.pdf

I bet multiple water ports heatsinks to cool that monster.

Zenon

We need to get Rodgah in here, he just got back from the mines he drives these big mofos for a living..

Kim

View attachment retarder.jpg

yep they really do call it that....hahahah makes me laugh. thats in an old 789B which is around 20 years old, done more than 1000 000 Km's and nearly as many hours, swallowed more than 40 000 000 litres of diesel in its time, and still going. 10km/h as you can see up a 10% grade with 180-200t on board(payload) gross weight im sure is over 350t.

View attachment 793.jpg

793c, bigger, a bit newer, hell of alot nicer to drive, but still in the scheme of things it is pretty worn out. they have a payload of around 230 but you can overload them to around 250 or so before it will lock out and you are stuck going to the dump in 2nd gear the whole way. they have a gross mass of over 400t

Caterpillar are the only "LARGE" truck maker that still sticks with mechanical drive. They are in a niche that some companies still require, they are small enough (good turning circle) to be able to be used under a normal excavator operation in pit, but are capable of longer runs than the electric drive trucks. I dont know why this is but that is what I have been told. If the turning circle isnt an issue (ie there being loaded by a front end loader) they usually use kress trucks for long runs as they love the long drives and they carry more per load. All of the big cat trucks are 6speed (7th is reverse if you read above information posted) all pull around the same speed up a 10% ramp at their rated payload at around 10-12km/h, on flat ground they all have a top speed of between 55-60km/h (depends whos driving :lol: :p ). there are 4 braking systems on all Cat haul trucks, Park (air operated non cooled friction brakes), Emergency (modulatable version of the park brake), Service (a foot operated torque converter in each wheel brake), Retarder(same as what the service brakes use but on the steering column). There is a torque converter in each wheel, which is used for braking and the big throw on the retarder makes it highly modulate-able lol.

The electric trucks are apparently cheaper to maintain, and use less fuel for the same power. They are harder to drive from an operator perspective, mainly because of a delay in everything but steering. The brake systems arent as controlable as a cat as there is only a foot operated brake, which is tricky to use when your sitting on a floating air seat and your going over rough ground. And in wet weather they are hard to keep straight, partially because of the delay in power/brake systems, but also because they do not allow riding the brake while powering on(to keep wheels moving slowly while braking....).

yes you did read that correct, wet weather and haul trucks dont mix, even though they have an enourmous foot print on the road, when it rains, its like a tokyo drift session just trying to drive them back to a park up area.

Cheers
:wink:

i know what my new ebrake lever will say now :) .thats to cool to get the inside story on the monster,thanks mate.

actually the truck shown in the picture isn't even an e-vehicle if you research your information the caterpillar 797 mining truck is a mechancial driven haulage truck. if your looking for an actual large electrically powered haul truck to use for an example look no farther than the worlds largest ac drive haul truck the liebherr t 282c haul truck which has 8 igbt's for the propulsion sytem and 4 for the brake chopper and also is capable of hauling over 500 short tons of material. also caterpillar does now offer an ac drive haul truck which is only 360 short tons capacity which is called the 795 ac truck

nvbowhuntr said:
actually the truck shown in the picture isn't even an e-vehicle if you research your information the caterpillar 797 mining truck is a mechancial driven haulage truck. if your looking for an actual large electrically powered haul truck to use for an example look no farther than the worlds largest ac drive haul truck the liebherr t 282c haul truck which has 8 igbt's for the propulsion sytem and 4 for the brake chopper and also is capable of hauling over 500 short tons of material. also caterpillar does now offer an ac drive haul truck which is only 360 short tons capacity which is called the 795 ac truck

Well spotted, but if you check the previous page or here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23487&start=15 someone else had already picked up on that

I could'nt help smiling at the driver dumping iron ore from a 250 tonner in Pilbara N West Aus, good looking blonde.
Some blokes don't always have the touch to drive a multi mill unit around.
They go like stink and the whine of the drives is awesome until the exhaust spews out.
Do'nt recommend going near them when they are dumping a load of iron ore, Pilbara fog they called it, black crusty boggies for a week, fond memories on shutdown not, $$$$$$ Yes.
All mining machinary is electric, worked on install for years 11kV megawatt controllers fairly standard mining kit. 33kV 5 megawatt drive using tanks for resistors, pump in resistors lol.

Back