A little closer to getting this thing going today. I was on my way with a friend to a sci-fi social club meeting, and by chance we passed Build-A-Bike on the way there, so we stopped to check if they had anything useful on their used-parts shelf.
I found a cheapie dual-crown steel suspension fork for 26" wheels for $15, and a couple of really cheapie rear shocks/springs for $5 each.
More than I really wanted to pay, since sometimes I can find a whole bike for those prices--but not lately. A friend with me couldn't talk them down, either, but it'd probably cost that much to ship one even if someone had one to part with for nothing but shipping.
But I decided I could afford it, since Google sent me a check for Adsense earnings, which I figured I would not have earned enough to get for a few more years--I guess the Youtube videos of my old motor tests it now also includes must be more popular than the blog, because it was only after those got included that I quickly earned enough to go over the boundary to get a check.
So now I have a front suspension fork that will take a hub motor if I need to do it that way (or want a backup motor).
I could see that it was the right diameter for the Trek frame, but I wasn't totally sure it would be tall enough. Fortunately, it is:
It is just a spring/elastomer shock, like the one on CrazyBike2 and DayGlo Avenger, but since it's for the front that should be fine for now. I've gotten by fine with just that kind with those two heavy bikes so far, in the front, so I may never need anything better than that even on this newer one (although I want better, it doesn't mean it's necessary
It's called a "Hill Assault", "Pacific Professional Series".
It had all the hardware with it, and has studs for the V-brake type of rim brakes. Doesnt ahve disc mounts but since it's steel I can fix that.
Not lots of travel, but a bit more than DGA's, and definitely more than CB2's. Not sure if it's 60mm or 80mm, as I can't really compress it very well by hand (which is a good thing). A little heavier than the forks on DGA and CB2 but not by that much. Guess I'll find out how good it is after I build the rest of the bike.
One thought I had is that if I end up really needing a front adjustable shock *and* a powerful hubmotor, I could combine the Manitou fork and this one. Take this one's steel dropout tubes and slide them over the ends of the alloy Manitou fork (although I would have to cut off the Manitou's actual dropouts to do that, and the little disc-mount-plate stubs). I don't know for sure if they are even large enough for that, but they look like htey might be. Maybe. If not, I could slit the back or front of them, expand the diameter a bit, then slide them on and clamp them down with hose clamps, and weld a piece across the gap, then remove the clamps.
Rather not do that, but it's an option.
The rear shocks are complete as well, including the nylon bushings and bolts to mount them. One has an 850lbs/in spring,
and the other a 750lbs/in spring.
There was a third one there with a 550lb/in spring, but I figure if I am going to put heavy cargo in this bike, then if I use these on it (which I probably won't; I have another idea for them) then it's going to need high-rate springs.
I haven't taken the springs off to see if the dampers still work, but even if they dont' I can probably rebuild them easily enough.
They are "Lujan suspension" brand, model 400A (750lbs/in) and 400B (850lbs/in). I don't know if the A and B are for the spring rate or for something in the damper.
Anyhow, I am now a bit closer to getting this bike working, since I have a front fork with suspension that I can dedicate to it, that I dont' think will just come apart first time I hit a bump with it.
And options on the rear suspension should my idea for the Manitou fail to work.