Anyone up for E-dirt ride in San Francisco?

Damn, you Californians are having all the fun. First Lyen with that 100 mile ride at Holister and now this. I was born in San Francisco in 1940, but the folks moved to Eugene, Oregon in 1941.

Wife and I lived in the Bay Area in the early '70's when I worked at Redwood City for the County of San Mateo.

Enjoy, I'll be looking for experiences and pictures. :D

So chance of light rain tomorrow in SF...40% chance.

dress warm and we will be ok...today is suppose to be worse than tomorrow and today is fine....just did ebike ride in fact and it was fantastic.

We all agreed we stick with plan of meeting despite a little less than ideal weather?

A few photos and a video from a previous ride to Kirby Cove http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDSFS-toyEU

Attachments

• ride1.jpg
    ride1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 4,379
  • ride2.jpg
    ride2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 4,379
I'll be there. charging pack now. (wow it's 1 am)

in my experience they're always roughly finished. :mrgreen:

Well I gave up at 10pm when the elec key switch started flicking on/off but couldn't stop thinking about it, so its now just a plug. Turn signals don"t flash? No idea why. Speed on the CA not working, brake lights not setup yet and the lid on the battery box not fitting so great. None the less the test run around the mission at 1am was a real success and have a fixed grin on my face.

Fingers crossed for a nice day, see you tomorrow.

Ok so weather is looking pretty good right now in the city and for the day. Right now by the ocean it is partly cloudy. The vistas will be good today...53 degrees...bit bristly so dress warm.

According to hourly forecast there is a 30% chance of showers in the late afternoon...so we should be more than fine for the ride. Even if it does rain it should be light.

I still have an extra bike and battery if someone is without a suitable ride message me.

If your reading this and your for sure going please leave a message here so we know how many to expect.

Bart Sunday time table has tripped me up a bit. Leaving now, be there 12:15 or so. If everyones gone I can catch up. :)
Phone is 415-676-0543 if your curious.

Well I made it home, bike charging and really happy with my first days ride. My chain broke on the way home which was weird but was soon fixed. I will edit down some of the video I shot today and upload a link for you guys who made it out today. Thanks again Ollie.

Sounds awesome guys I hope I can make it next time.

Olivettibakebean said:
Well I made it home, bike charging and really happy with my first days ride. My chain broke on the way home which was weird but was soon fixed. I will edit down some of the video I shot today and upload a link for you guys who made it out today. Thanks again Ollie.

Hi Olie,

Did you have battery all the way home or did she die?

It would be great to see your video.

ERIC

It was dead by the time I got to the bridge after leaving you guys. Not sure why it didn't cut out before. I will have to investigate.

Started an edit but it was 6.8gigs of video so give me a few days.

First off, I had a great time and thank you Eric and Ollie for the great food. Next time I'll bring some too.

Nothing quite as to fun to watch as Eric towing Ilia's xtra cycle up a 10-15% grade. We got some amazed looks with the two of you coming up the hill.

Both my packs were toast by the time I hit BART as well. the last 4 miles home unpowered were difficult. it hit me that we'd ridden 25 miles with a a 15 lb backpack on the whole way, then came the hillclimb home. I stupidly tried to use my Lipo pack for that, sagged from 40 to 22v :shock: in about 3 seconds.

I'm nursing it back to health right now.

I have to say, the Konion cells fail much more gracefully, the 36v pack dropped from 35v to 30v over the course of 5 miles, it gives plenty of warning you're getting low on gas.

Great ride guys.

How about some pictures for those of us that couldn't make it this time.

Thanks everyone for the event. It was nice to meet new friends and ebikers. :)

Here are pictures and videos:

Aaronski & Olivettibakebean:

extremegreenmachine:

Ollie with his cool custom built Lifepo4 battery frame case:

One of Aaron's ebike:

Sam, Eric, and Ollie:

Ollie's Go Pro helmet cam:

Sam's jumper ebike:

We need solar power charging! LOL

Eric's supersized tires ebike, me, and my planetary drive chain/gear setup ebike:

Go up north from San Francisco (climbing at around 14-16% up hill):
[youtube]78DNsW_CWL8[/youtube]

Aaron (Oops!):
[youtube]uRCiMCIoSL4[/youtube]

Sam on ebike:
[youtube]9qlFdFyZZW4[/youtube]

Group up
[youtube]h2kE6K6npA8[/youtube]

more to come...

I know its last minute but thought i would post. Its an amazing day today and we are doing another epic ride.

4 of us are planning a hard core dirt ride to the top of slacker peek...ABOVE the marin headlands where we were riding last weekend. We are meeting at my house at 5 so should be hitting the bridge around 5:30-6:00....we could meet anyone who is in the mood for a dramatic ride at the beginning of the bike lane at the golden gate north side. Just post here if you want to meet us or message me w your phone number if your going and we will look for you.

WE have an exciting plan for this trip....we are testing an optibike 850r, the latest greatest optibike just made for this kind of hill climb.

Slacker peek is a half mile harsh climb on dirt road. Come and join us and try out the optibike...the thing climbs like a billy goat. How often do you get a chance to ride a 12k electric bike?

We are going to ride half way up the headlands and then turn off onto the trailhead for slacker peek. Unless your a ebike rockstar you will probably be walking a lot of the half mile steep climb. Going down come nightfall will be fun.

751696691_QE6e6-L.jpg

So Slackers Peek is unbelievable...

You guys want to do a slackers peek ride sunday for sunset...leaving around 4pm?

To get to slackers peek is a steep quarter mile climb. i think most ebikes will have to hike it. But its well worth it when you get to the top....360 degree bay area view. We can do a barbecue at the top.

Weather should be stellar.

Is anyone game?

Back