New Crystalyte Motor series (HT35 / HS35 and HT24 / HS24)

methods said:
Luke is already up to his tricks.....

Apparently this is 15pcs of 14awg wire. Obviously he has been modifying the axle...

Here is some of the same data confirming what Justin just posted but in a visual format (provided by Luke)

View attachment 3

Waitaminute, this one confuses me. It looks like Luke is measuring exactly 30mm across the laminations, while my own digital calipers showed a pretty exact 35mm:
35mm Width.jpg

Am I reading Luke's ruler and writing wrong or is this another discrepancy between the samples we got in January and the production shipment you got in March?

If that's the case then it throws all my dynamo tests out the water.

It also looks like Luke is suggesting it's a 10x6 wind that he's got, while the two units we received were 9x7 and 12x5

Hmmrrrrg -J

great job Justin! :wink:
and obviously big thanks also to Ken and Methods for sharing all those information with us!

hopefully now that some of you have already got the motors , we will see more smoking hot news!

justin_le said:
methods said:
Luke is already up to his tricks.....

Apparently this is 15pcs of 14awg wire. Obviously he has been modifying the axle...

Here is some of the same data confirming what Justin just posted but in a visual format (provided by Luke)

View attachment 3

Waitaminute, this one confuses me. It looks like Luke is measuring exactly 30mm across the laminations, while my own digital calipers showed a pretty exact 35mm:

Am I reading Luke's ruler and writing wrong or is this another discrepancy between the samples we got in January and the production shipment you got in March?

If that's the case then it throws all my dynamo tests out the water.

It also looks like Luke is suggesting it's a 10x6 wind that he's got, while the two units we received were 9x7 and 12x5

Hmmrrrrg -J

Justin- My little metric gauge is a pretty reliable tool. My stator is 30mm across. My magnets are 35mm across.

My windings are 10 pieces of 25awg wire (15awg equalivelant), and wrapped 6 times around each tooth.

Oh boy.... here we go again :roll:

Why do I always volunteer to be the first to stick my hand in the wringer !?!?

Ok - so now it looks like we really need to do some investigation. Different stator, different windings, different motor :? I questioned Lukes count of 6 turns when he reported it (since I was expecting 5) but now it makes sense. I totally missed the stator width... (EDIT: ************************************************** ************** ************************).

I am going to write Kenny - as I am sure some of you will too.
(EDIT: Sent Kenny an Email, waiting for response)

Every time I think we are starting to work out communications and commerce with China some shit like this crops up. Arg...

-methods

Kenny is clearly calling out 35mm on his specification sheet. This has been updated very recently as well.

UK Market: 25kph and 40kph versions
http://www.crystalyte.com/new motor series description.htm

What I received was clearly marked with 40kph and 25kph... My invoice says HT3525 and HS3540 but look at this

2011 "5000 series"
http://www.crystalyte.com/xlyteupgrade.htm

But then confusing things you have statements like this:

(quoted from above)
"** For 5000 serier motor , we have different name for Europe Market "

which implies that the UK and US motors are the same ?!?

Kenny just got done simplifying the line to only have two versions... now it looks like we are back to all the different flavors?

dude... If Kenny says something like "We had to use the 30mm laminations to fit the hall sensors" I am just going to go out to my lab, bend over, and inject 100cc's of concentrated sulfuric acid into my ass. :?

-methods

I just opened up an HT3525 and found it to be marked with 9x7.... so at least the world has not turned completely upside down :)
Luke, can you please check for markings on yours?

My stator width is actually only 29.3mm (metal to metal, under the insulator).

I love that they actually use BAMBOO inside the motor.... does that make it even more GREEN?

-methods

Ok... I am just going to forget this thread for a while and let you guys sort it out. :|
Look what just arrived in the mail... my "happy place".... :) :p :D

Methods LTC BMS V4.0

oh boy
oh boy
oh boy.....

-methods

Attachments

• IMG_20110328_161839.jpg
    IMG_20110328_161839.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 6,811
  • IMG_20110328_161821.jpg
    IMG_20110328_161821.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 6,811
Respect due Justin :D

justin_le said:
Spacey said:
I mean there is no CA Cycle Analyst connector on the Sensorless Controller 40amp 72V, was hoping there was so I could maybe use it with my CA and lower the LVC cut off.

Hi Spacey, I just put a posting in a different thread showing the tap points for a CD-DP connector with the newer sensorless controllers:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26336

The throttle over-ride wiring is easiest done by shorting out R36 and then soldering a diode with the anode connected to the pad labelled SLA and the cathode connected to the green CA wire.

I'll arrange to have Kenny prepare a few samples with this CA-DP mod straight from China to make sure they can get it correct, and then hopefully it will be available direct from Crystalyte this way in the future.

-Justin

I started reading these posts and was about to say " awesome work guys, thanks for the measurement and specs" but now with these discrepancies... URRGGGGHH

methods said:
If Kenny says something like "We had to use the 30mm laminations to fit the hall sensors" I am just going to go out to my lab, bend over, and inject 100cc's of concentrated sulfuric acid into my ass. :?
lol, I'm with ya, it'd hurt less than taking delivery of a shipment of dud motors!
I have a batch waiting on production, I wonder what I'll receive :|

I love that they actually use BAMBOO inside the motor....
Seriously ?!! hahaha those crazy Chinese, no wonder the pandas are endangered.
As long as the magnets aren't held on with rice glue :lol:

i would much rather have had a 35mm stator with grooves and added halls myself :( if that is the case...
way she goes...

Andje said:
i would much rather have had a 35mm stator with grooves and added halls myself :( if that is the case...
way she goes...

It's not the halls causing the problem IMHO (though they do add a whisker of thickness for the wiring, it's not much).

Justin- Since you've got a 35mm stator example at your shop, can you have somebody measure the assembled thickness of the motor? From looking at my 30mm stator example, I don't think it would be possible to fit a 35mm stator and not have the windings rub on the case covers. As it is, the case covers have been machined on a lathe to have a little circular recess to allow the end-turns to clear the covers. Trying to get another 5mm of stator width in there would not fit in these case dimensions IMHO.

I'm guessing the version you've got with a 35mm stator also has a wider center section by around 5mm. I will get a pic of my center section next to the ruler up this evening (unless someone else who has one can post it up sooner.)

liveforphysics said:
I'm guessing the version you've got with a 35mm stator also has a wider center section by around 5mm.

Mine measures 49mm from machined surface to machined surface

-methods

liveforphysics said:
Andje said:
way she goes...

It's not the halls causing the problem IMHO (though they do add a whisker of thickness for the wiring, it's not much).
Justin- Since you've got a 35mm stator example at your shop, can you have somebody measure the assembled thickness of the motor?

Fortunately this one is also part of my photo collection I brought with me:

Rear Hub Width.jpg

The side cover plates were also machined on the inside for added clearance:
Side Cover Weight.jpg

-Justin

My measurement was with the covers off, of only the ring.

With the covers ON (for an apples to apples comparison to Justin's measurement) I get 56.7mm, which when you figure in the fact that Justin and I paid $10 for our calipers - is the SAME WIDTH.

-methods

Justin- The width of your flux-ring section appears to be about 8-9mm wider than mine. Yet, if I remember correctly, our magnet width is the same at 35mm right?

EDIT: This is a boo-boo

wait, the outside case is the same width but the stators are not? if that ends up being the case that is even weirder then just a thinner stator.

No, no, no....

My measurement was the ring only
Justin measured the ring + covers
I measured the ring + covers and came up with the same overall width

Justin's sample is the same width as my sample.

The difference between our motors is the Stator assembly. I am sure the clearance on Justin's motors was very tight.... They may have even machined deeper reliefs in the covers.

If you think back to the ol' 5300 series the hall wires used to snake through the windings. This may not have been possible with this design... leading to needing the halls to run outside of the windings... leading to a lack of space and a subsequent compromise.

-methods

OK, so the overall cases are the same, with 35mm magnets but Justin's have a 35mm stator and Luke's and methods (from methods order) only has a 30mm stator ?
The question now is if that 30mm stator is a result of having the halls fitted.
Full throttle has one of these early sensorless sample motors too. I wonder how wide his stator is...

wait, the outside case is the same width but the stators are not?
yeah that's what i was saying :)
i guess the real overall question is if the sensor less vers will be 35mm wide stator width or if the crystalyte specs are just wrong since a final revision and all the motors produced will be 30mm stator width.

edit- looking up i see another simultaneous post lol

methods said:
dude... If Kenny says something like "We had to use the 30mm laminations to fit the hall sensors" I am just going to go out to my lab, bend over, and inject 100cc's of concentrated sulfuric acid into my ass. :?
-methods

It has been confirmed by Kenny at Crystalyte.....

Motors with sensors use a "32mm silicon metal" with a cast stator support
Motors without sensors use 35mm laminations with a stamped steel stator support

So.... guess what guys???

Everybody who has ordered sensored motors will be getting the "32mm". Sensorless will be 35mm

So - where is that concentrated sulfuric acid anyway?

-methods

btw: Silicon Metal = Electrical steel

I would prefer this definition:
"Silicon metal is a magic Chinese metal that when stacked 31mm in width is exactly equivalent in quality to 35mm of the Pot Metal usually used." :mrgreen:

lol....
I will ship one of these to Justin for Dyno Tests ASAP.

-methods

Both motor's lams would have to be silicon steel.

I'm just glad my motors have hall sensors and a 40mm lamination stack. Plus they're wound for a Kv of 16, so I'll need rear view mirrors to see you guys. 8)

methods said:
I just opened up an HT3525 and found it to be marked with 9x7.... so at least the world has not turned completely upside down :)
Luke, can you please check for markings on yours?

My stator width is actually only 29.3mm (metal to metal, under the insulator).

I love that they actually use BAMBOO inside the motor.... does that make it even more GREEN?

-methods

You didn't know that they used bamboo?

My 8X8 "knock-off" has bamboo in it and that dates from 2009 at the very very Earliest.

It merely confirms my belief that this stuff has pretty much the same origins.

Back